Saturday (Part 1)

Give Love

Saturdays are lovely. No school, no homework, no teachers; Byun Baekhyun loves Saturdays. Usually, he wakes up very late (1 pm was his personal record and he's proud of it) and does absolutely nothing the whole day. There are times that he goes to the mall or hang out with his friends. But this Saturday, he won't do anything. Or so as he planned to.

"Baekhyun! Wake up, sleepy head! It's morning!" On the contrary, Chanyeol's different. He wakes up very early and starts his day with morning stretching. He's used to waking up early because of his sister’s work. He opens the curtains and his window as the sun light and fresh morning air entered the room. Chanyeol closes his eyes as he breathes in, holds it for a second, then out. He opened his eyes as he heard a hiss from behind.

The shorter boy quickly tugged the sheets and covered his face. "Ah! The light!" he hissed.

Waking up on a Saturday beside Chanyeol, though, is very new to Baekhyun. It's been days since he was forced to live with Chanyeol but this was their first Saturday- and Saturdays are precious to him. As a person who's used to do whatever he wants, Chanyeol and his Saturday morning routines had bad news all over. "Thirty more minutes!"

"No."

"Twenty-five?"

"No."

"Twenty!"

"No, Baekhyun!"

"Ugh. Fifteen?"

"No."

"Ten? One?"

"Byun Baekhyun!" Chanyeol yelled.

Baekhyun moaned and took of the sheet that covered him and raised both of his hands. "Okay, fine! I'm up!"

Chanyeol smiled. “Good! Now you fix the bed while I go down and help Noona with breakfast.” He gave the boy a thumb up and went out of the room. Baekhyun didn’t want to get out of bed because he was still so sleepy but he surprisingly follows his friend’s orders.

As he was fixing the pillows, he noticed the comic book Chanyeol was reading last night under their pillows and grabbed it gently as if it was fragile. Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he studied the comic’s cover in color as he flipped through the black and white illustrations about Spiderman and Marvel. He walked to his roommate’s small bookshelf and inserted the comic book between an issue of Captain America and the Avengers. As he did so, the short boy accidentally bumped a book with his hand and fell. Baekhyun knelt down and got it. He realized it wasn’t a book; rather, it was a notebook neatly covered in black.

Baekhyun raised a brow and stared at the notebook. “Maybe there’s in here.” He thought, “That ert!” As soon as he concluded his thoughts, he opened the notebook to its first page and widened his eyes.

-xoxo-

“Chanyeol, beat the eggs and cook ‘em, okay?” Yura ordered as she neatly tied her hair into a bun and washed her hands in the sink. “Where’s Baekhyun? Is he up?”

“He’s fixing the bed.” Chanyeol replied. “I hope.” He mumbled to himself as he prepares the eggs. The young lady spread peanut butter on a toast as she glanced at her brother who was busy beating the eggs. The younger boy was smiling.

Yura smirked and nudged her brother. “Yah,” she called Chanyeol’s attention, “Why are you smiling?”

“Nothing.” Chanyeol laughed and returned his attention to the eggs. Yura was still unconvinced; she knows something happened and as much as she wanted to force her brother to spill it out, the clock was ticking and she doesn’t want to risk her job. “Hey, Noona,” Chanyeol called as he made scrambled eggs on a pan without looking at his sister. “I think someone likes the person who’s special to me.”

His sister stayed silent, letting Chanyeol continue, as she glanced at him while setting the table. “It’s not like I’m jealous or anything, but,” before he finished, he quickly transferred the scrambled eggs on a white plate and placed the pan in the sink. “I just don’t like them together.”

Chanyeol and Yura became closer to each other ever since they started living together alone without their parents or any guardian in fact. They are used to talk about how they feel or what their problems are with each other. Yura smiled and tangled her arm around Chanyeol’s as she giggles. “I think I know who this is.” She teases as Chanyeol smiles sheepishly. “It’s him isn’t it?” Yura points at Chanyeol’s room and smiles at him.

“Don’t worry,” She cooed, “I’m pretty sure he likes you as much as you like him.”

“But Noona, I don’t like him!” Chanyeol blushed as he shook his head defensively, “He’s just someone special!”

Yura continued teasing Chanyeol as they laughed. But it ended as soon as they heard soft, slow footsteps going near them. “Baekhyun, good morning! Do you-” Yura stopped as she saw Baekhyun’s red cheeks as the shorter boy was fidgeting. “Baekhyun? Are you okay?”

Baekhyun shook his head and smiled, “I’m good.”

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun, are you sure?” Chanyeol went closer to him as Baekhyun widened his eyes and avoided eye contact with the giant. His red cheeks became darker and all he heard was the rapid beating of his heart. He nodded slowly as he looked away from Chanyeol and stared down at the floor. The siblings stared at the boy and his weird actions.

“Uh, okay,” Yura said, “Let’s eat breakfast then?”

The table was awkwardly quiet and Chanyeol couldn’t stand silence. “So,” He broke the silence and started a possible conversation, “what’ll you do today, Noona?”

“Work, work, and work.” She took a small bite from her toast, “Oh, and did I mention work?”

Chanyeol faked laugh and looked at Baekhyun next. “How about you, Baekhyun?”

“Oh, ah, w-well,” He stuttered, “N-nothing, actually.”

“Do you want to go to the mall with me today?”

“No!” Baekhyun exclaimed as Yura and Chanyeol stared at him. “Ah, I mean, no. I can’t. I’m going to Jongdae’s house today. He invited me first.” He laughed nervously and scratched his head. “Sorry, Chanyeol.” He smiled at him but he didn’t look at him. Chanyeol pouted and sighed sadly as Yura looked at him with apologetic eyes.

“So, this Jongdae guy likes Baekhyun, huh?” She thought to herself and stared at the two boys who had their heads down. “Oh, wow, look at the time!” Yura said as she tried to brighten up the atmosphere. “Looks like I’ll be late for work, ha-ha!” She laughed and stood up from her seat. “You guys fix this mess and tidy up the house! No one leaves unless the house is clean, got it?”

“But!”

“Bye, boys!” She rushed out of the house and quickly got in her car. The boys sighed and since they didn’t have any choice, they started cleaning.

Chanyeol kept on glancing at his roommate as he washed the dishes with him. He would wash it and Baekhyun would dry it and place it inside the cabinet. The taller boy can’t stop thinking on why Baekhyun is quiet but he didn’t ask him. Instead, he observed him and carefully studies him. He noticed how his innocent eyes flutter open as he blinks, it glitters beautifully, and it was definitely a sight Chanyeol would remember. When their hands touch, or when Baekhyun’s shoulder brush Chanyeol’s, his heart would skip a beat. He wonders if Baekhyun feels the same.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun’s head was filled with thoughts. His heart couldn’t stop beating and all he wanted to do was get away from Chanyeol. The things he read in the notebook flashed back in his mind and made him blush and lose focus. “No, Baekhyun, no!” Later, he found himself loosing grip on the plate he was holding and it fell on the floor, leaving it shattered into pieces.

“Ah, I’m sorry! I’ll just-”

Before he could move, he saw Chanyeol picking up the pieces. “Wait, Chanyeol, I’ll do it. It’s my fault, anyway.”

“You’re a clumsy kid, aren’t you? You might hurt yourself.” The taller boy laughed and continued picking up the pieces.

“I’m not a kid!” Baekhyun pouted, “And I’m not clumsy!” He added as he heard Chanyeol laugh louder. “Yah! Be careful!”

“Ow, ow, ow,” Chanyeol whined as he placed the pieces of the broken plate inside a plastic bag. “I cut myself.” He said as he looked at his bleeding index finger. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and went closer to Chanyeol. “I told you to be careful, idiot!”

Baekhyun ran to get band aids in his bag as Chanyeol waited for Baekhyun at the kitchen. “And you’re calling me clumsy.” He heard Baekhyun exclaiming on his way to the kitchen. The tall boy laughed as his hand was grabbed by the shorter. “Seriously and when I told you to be careful, you decided to hurt yourself.”  He placed a cute pink band aid with small red hearts on the cut and smiled proudly. Chanyeol stared at the boy as he was busy admiring his work. “There!”

The shorter boy looked up and saw a smiling Chanyeol staring at him and blushed. Chanyeol chuckled as he looked at his finger. “Thanks for the girly band aid.”

“Hey!” He slapped Chanyeol’s shoulder, “It’s not that girly! It’s cute!” Baekhyun pouted and Chanyeol laughed at him.

“Baekhyun…”

“Is there something bothering you?” The taller boy asked as he looked at Baekhyun sincerely. The other boy looked away and said nothing. “Oh, come on. You can tell me anything.” He moved closer to him. “Just like the old days.”

Baekhyun flinched and stared at Chanyeol.

-xoxo-

- Mommy and I will go to a park today! I’m excited!!

- Byun Baekhyun is the name of my new friend. I met him at the park! He has pretty eyes and he’s shorter than me! He’s really mean to me at first but then he was super nice when we played with action figures together! I wish I can play with him every day!

- Daddy said Baekhyun lives far away from our house so I can’t visit him. But we can always play together every Saturday!

- Baekhyun brought a friend with him. His name is Jongdae but I don’t like him. He’s too close with Baekhyun.

- I call him Baekkie now!

- Park Chanyeol loves Byun Baekhyun forever!

Baekhyun flipped another page as he saw his drawing with Chanyeol when they were in kindergarten. It had a stick man with a name “Yeollie” and a shorter stick man named “Baekkie” with a heart in between them. He remembered how his handwriting was years ago and he was sure he was the one who wrote the caption “Park Chanyeol loves Byun Baekhyun forever!” Baekhyun blushed as he closes the notebook and thought of their kindergarten days. He wondered what kind of love they were feeling back then; especially Chanyeol. He never really thought of Chanyeol as the type of guy who writes in diaries.

- Mommy and I will go to the park today!! I can’t wait to see Baekhyun!

- Something terrible happened today…

Baekhyun turned another page with his hands trembling. But as soon as he did so, he saw a blank page and was blinded by the emptiness. Chanyeol was five, or maybe six, years old when he wrote in this and yet how can a blank page symbolize something deeper? The page obviously screamed sadness and how lost Chanyeol was back then.

And it was his entire fault.

Wasn’t it?

-xoxo-

“N-Nah,” Baekhyun shook his head, “I’m just sleepy. That’s all.”

“Really?”

“Really!”

“So, um, are you going to Jongdae’s house?” Chanyeol asked as a light shade of pink colored his cheeks. Baekhyun smiled at him and shook his head again. “Nah,” he said, “I think I’ll go to the mall.” Chanyeol’s face lit up and smiled widely.

“I want to buy a new pair of shoes. I wonder if a giant wants to come with me…” Baekhyun teased Chanyeol and giggled.

The giant laughed and crossed his arms. “I think the midget will be happy because the giant will come with him.”