25.

The Dragon and The Lion

You analyzed the situation and all the possible outcomes; the worse one was where you end up being kidnapped by a psycho ert. But he could have had kidnapped you before, and he was the one who didn’t want to meet. So why was he doing that?

You took you phone more time when it buzzed on the table. It was a message from Kris.

“I’m on my way. But I can’t meet you today, so our date will have to wait”

“No problem, I’m on my way out to meet with a complete stranger”

You sent before you could rethink it and delete it but somehow you felt pleased to say it; you knew it would make him worry or get jealous and that was exactly what you wanted.

Kris eyes widened as he read the message and his fingers started to type faster than ever. But deleted the message and dialed your number instead.

“Don’t you dare” he said as soon as you picked up the phone. You heard the wind going against the car and guessed he was driving.

“Why not? Give a food reason and I won’t go” your voice was playful yet serious.

Kris flustered behind the screen and his mind rushed for a good answer.

“Because I say so”

“good bye, Kris”

“hey! wait, wait, wait” he frantically pleaded. You could picture his anxious face: his eyes going wide and his eyebrows rising. It made you giggle.

“what?” you played hard to convince.

“well…uhm…is the guy you chat with, right?”

“yup”

You heard him growling on the other side of the line.

“Don’t do it. I have a lot to worry right now to even add something else, please. My mind is about to explode trying to find a good excuse to cancel tonight’s announcement” he sighed.

“okay, I won’t go. Don’t worry, okay”

He sighed again, a heavier and longer sigh. You heart clenched and you regretted your selfish attitude just now.

“Kris?”

“uhm?”

“I love you”

“What’s with that all of a sudden?” he scoffed.

“I just want you to know” you answered but those words meant a lot more.

“I love you, I always will” he replied and fell silent “trust me”

After that both fell in a comfortable silent for a brief moment. Only the dim sound of the traffic could be heard from his side until he finally spoke.

“I have to go”

“okay, see you”

Little did you know those words held more to it.

 

Leo tapped his fingers on the desk in his room before  his phone rang and he quickly checked it. But

Hackyeon: What did she answer?

Leo: She said she was going to go

Hack yeon: and then?!!!

Leo: Nothing after that. I don’t think this is a good idea.

Hack yeon: it is! And you can’t go back now. Why don’t you text her again?

Leo: No. I’m fine as it is now and Im tired, gotta sleep

Hack yeon: you’ll never get a girlfriend like that. >.<

Leo: Neither you will.

 

Two hours passed by and you had already roamed every corner of the hotel and as time flew by it was harder to ignore your stomach growling louder and louder.

You took out your wallet and counted your money, only to find out you had more that what you thought. A lot more.

“Kris” you huffed and rolled your eyes.

As much as you hated the idea of him giving you money, you had to admit he saved the day because you could eat without regrets now.

“what should I eat now” you wondered before the last message from “him” popped in your mind.

But you just promised Kris that you wouldn’t go” your subconscious added and you admitted she was right. Next, you searched on your phone for nearby coffee shops or restaurant. There weren’t too many options and in the end the one that convinced you the most was the one he told you about. Its name was “Café de Sol”, and had a vintage look to it according to the pictures showing on the browser.

Your inner self tried to talk again but you pushed her back. You weren’t going to meet him, just to buy something and he didn’t tell you to meet him either. Without any more delays you started to walk towards the lobby, immersed in your thoughts when the sound of a door opening made you turn out of instinct.

“We sure run into each other a lot lately, huh?” you said to Leo, who walked out of his suite. He had bed head and red eyes showing he had just woken up. He was holding the bucket used to for ice in his hand. You had to stop yourself from giggling at his unkempt look

“yeah” he yawned “are you going out?” he asked to your surprise but you didn’t think too much about it.

“yes, I need to eat” you awkwardly smiled and he nodded “well, see you” you waved your hand and kept walking.

As soon as you entered the elevator he turned around back into his room and took his phone from the nightstand.

Leo: I think she is going.

Hackyeon: ok, tell me the details later >:(

 

“he is mad” taekwoon breathed before taking his wallet and phone into his pocket then heading out.

 

The place looked exactly like the images you saw earlier but it had the delicious smell of coffee and pastries all over it. When you stepped in, the feeling of being stared at invaded you maybe it was too obvious that you weren’t local since everyone looked so fashionable and stylish and you were dressed casually with your hair up in a loose bun.

“What would you like to order?” the girl behind the counter asked taking you off guard as you were watching the screen above the coffee machines.

“Uhmm, I’ll take a look first” you pointed at the digital menu displaying on them.

“It’s the first time you come to this shop?”

“yeah, I’m not from this city” you admitted shyly and she smiled “and this was the nearest coffee to my hotel”

“are you here for the conference?”

“yes, how do you know?” you asked cautiously.

“Are you, perhaps, User3021?” her eyebrow rose up

Your heart leaped off your chest, not only because of fear but excitement as well. You looked around trying to find if someone was looking at you but every person seemed to be immersed in what they were doing be it reading or having a conversation.

“Excuse me?” you tried to sound as confused as possible, not that you weren’t.

“Are you not? Then I apologize”

“I mean, yeah, it’s my facebook user. Why?” this time you lifted your eyebrow.

“Oh so it’s really you” she smiled pleased “There was this costumer that left a ‘Prepaid order’ for someone with that user name. He said that you probably won’t admit it so that I should be looking for a girl that looked out of place”

“He did?”

She nodded

“Does he know how I look?...No, that is not possible” you panicked but breathed in out to relax and think thoroughly

“What did he look like?” you hid your anxiety the best your nerves allowed you to.

“I can’t tell you, shop’s privacy policy”

“Just a hint” you almost pleaded

“He was tall and had black hair” she said quickly before clearing “what would you like to order? You can choose anything from the menu since it’s already paid”

“Espresso”

“Anything else, he also paid for a cake”

“Strawberry cheesecake”

After that you took a table and started to remember every guy in the excursion you had seen until now. There were too many options because mostly every guy had black hair.

All of a sudden, Leo appeared in your mind but after trying to imagine him typing or saying any of the message you received or paying the bill for you at the coffee, you could not picture him as User9011.

The cake and the espresso were espresso was exquisite, so you were eating as slow as possible when your phone buzzed.

User9011: Did you go?

You: yes. Thank you, I guess. But I don’t know if this is exciting or scary.

“It wasn’t even my idea. Now I look like a stalker” Leo huffed on the other side of the screen. But an idea popped in his mind making him grin.

User9011: Don’t worry; I like to help ladies in distress. You said you had no money; I couldn’t let a person starve to death.

You: I will pay you when I meet you.

User9011: You don’t need to, I didn’t do it so that we could meet or something. It’s just out of good will.

You could feel it had turned so awkward that you decided to change the subject.

You: Aaaand... what are you doing right now? Studying?

“Studying?” Leo scoffed. He was sitting on a bench on the other side of the street.

User9011: I’m taking a walk. Who would stay inside and study on a trip?

You: My roommate.

User9011: what a boring roommate. Thank goodness I got a single room.

You: lucky you. Where are you walking at?

User9011: I don’t want to tell you. But there’s this botanical garden I visited, it had a lot of cherry trees; you should go if you have free time. I’ll send you the address.

And so he did; it was really near to where you were. You devoured the cake and slurp the coffee that wasn’t that hot anymore before going out, you waved good bye to the cashier from earlier and she returned the gesture.

Meanwhile, Leo’s gaze followed you from the other sidewalk.

 

The garden was as he promised: full of trees, mostly cherry trees but you could see pink, yellow and purple flowered ones. The scent and mist almost made you forget that the street was just a few meters away, like you had entered another city.

You took out you phone and snapped a picture of a huge cherry three, it was the first time you saw one in real life and specially in that time of the year. The view was jaw dropping.

You: thanks for recommend this place, it’s beautiful.

User9011: I know. If I said it is, it is.

“Not so humble, huh?” you scoffed.

It took you an hour to walk around the whole place, between taking pictures, messaging your brother and Leo. But there was no signal from Kris.

“He is probably busy, I shouldn’t call him”

As if he had read your mind your phone buzzed: a text from Kris

“Meet me at 8 P.M. At the reception Hall of Pearl Hotel”

Your stomach and heart flipped inside you; somehow you knew what was going to happen, he was going to end things with his family. Nevertheless you called him immediately, he didn’t answer.

You could heart beating as loud as a drum and everything seemed to spin for a moment. You breathed in and out to calm down. Anxiety invaded you. Was he going to introduce you as his girlfriend and end the engagement right in front of a lot of people? Was he willing to give up his fortune because of you?

A clock in the building in front of you signaled it was 5:00 PM when you received a new message from Leo.

User9011: do you want me to suggest you another interesting place?

You: just one. I need to go back to the hotel.

User9011: yeah, it’ll get dark soon. You shouldn’t be out at night.

You: I shouldn’t be chatting with a stranger either.

User9011: I read the main street is covered in Christmas lights during this time of the year.

You: okay, I’ll go.

Leo smiled as he looked at the same clock as you did, but from a different perspective, he was almost a block away. He opened a new inbox to Hack-yeon:

User9011: Thanks for the advice, okay? Don’t be sulking alone in your room eating ice cream.

Hackyeon: IM NOT SULKING!! But I’m eating ice cream. How did it go? Are you going to meet?

User9011: good. Not yet.

Hack yeon: aish!! >:( talk to me when you speak to her directly. I’m out.

 

 

Kris was looking at his reflection on the mirror in front of him solemnly as he did his necktie when a flashback inundated his mind.

“what?” he asked to his dad who was sitting infront of him on the lounge of the expensive suit. He had two men on each side, next to them was Charlotte’s father. “Aren’t you going too far?”

“Give me your phone, Wu Yi Fan” his father reached out.

“No” he growled.

Then one of the men stepped in and locked his arms with a swift movement before taking the object from the pocket of his jacket.

“I forgot I shouldn’t underestimate your dogs” he scoffed.

“You are forbidden to meet that girl or her brother in the future. For both sides sake”

Kris’ jaw tensed for he couldn’t talk back to his father.

“Now go and get ready”

 

You wandered on the Avenue looking at the lights around the trees and the buildings; they weren’t that noticeable since there was still some day light. And you weren’t paying attention because your mind was full of thoughts about what would happen that night.

As you made your way back to the hotel you remembered to thank Leo and decided to use Kris’ money to buy a not-so-expensive dress.

When you finally got dressed and your hair done, you headed to the place.

To your surprise, it was crowded by luxurious cars and many lights, like if it was an award ceremony.

You told your name to the guard and he asked you to wait, after a few minutes he let you in. Your eyes widened at how everyone was dressed and suddenly you felt underdressed but the feeling disappeared when you spotted your friend going on a podium.

Everyone applauded before Kris raised his hand up to quiet them. After a short welcoming speech he made a long pause and Kris and Charlotte stood up. Oh no.

“The main reason I invited everyone here is to share with you the joy of announcing my only son’s marriage to his beautiful fiancée, Miss Charlotte Kim.” He gestured to them to step forward.

As soon as he lifted his gaze he spotted you among the crowd, his eyes narrowed and his lips opened slightly.

There was a silent conversation between you two: he was asking for forgiveness and saying good bye. You understood then: he wasn’t going to cancel the engagement.

And you stood there, powerless, in the middle of all those high and rich people. Their eyes were fixated on your friend and the woman next to him and for the first time in your life you felt real hate towards an individual.

Your limbs went numb and the people around you disappeared, the words that came out of his lips echoed trough all your body. The words that you were eager to hear since a long time ago were pronounced to another girl.

"I, wu yi fan, will devote my entire life to Charlotte Kim"

He hold her hand in his after dedicating one last glance at you and look back to his in-laws and parents. It lasted less than a second but was more than enough for you to understand it was over.

You had lost him.

"Run" your subconscious whispered in your ears and this time you obliged.

You weren’t sure if you heard right but you could swear you heard his voice calling you.

You ran through the crowd as fast as you could, even pushing some people that refused to move.

Kris had to force himself to not look back when he heard the mumbling of the people.

Before you knew you were in the woods on the back of the building. The place was more trilling at night but in the state you were, it didn’t matter, all you wanted was to walk, walk until your legs gave in and you felt unconscious. And so did you; after wandering for half an hour you lost sight of the street or the lights surrounding the hotel and you finally felt the chilling winter air hitting your legs until they couldn’t move any further.

You panicked for a moment until you remembered you had your phone with you. But who were you going to call? Kris? The police? The school? They’d kick you out of the excursion for sure, and you were in a bad enough situation.

The craziest idea crossed your mind and you didn’t hesitate to execute it. You turned in your location on messenger and started to type.

You: I need help, I’m lost at the woods behind pearl hotel I cant move

Your battery died after you pressed sent, so you prayed that it was sent.

Leo who was walking with a cup of coffee took with phone out with his free hand, rolled his eyes.

“You said you weren’t going to talk to me until I talked to her, Hakyeon” he said before opening the new message. He was taken aback by it but typed as fast as he could.

User9011: Hang on, I’m on my way.

He dropped the coffee on the floor and ran, like his own life depended on it. He passed the hotel, not sparing a look to the party or the people glaring at him.

He stopped in the shore of the forest and took a deep breath before stepping in.

“Heey!!” he shouted not stopping his way into the dark place, he didn’t get a reply. He sent several message but no answer as well.

“Hey! Where are you?”” His voice sounded hoarse, the cold was starting to get in his body even though he was wearing warm clothes, including a big scarf.

Twenty minutes had already passed and his nerves started to wreck when a little noise caught his attention. He narrowed his eyes and perceived a silhouette walking to him slowly, too slowly. It was you.

 “are you okay” he hurried in your help, placing both hand on your shoulders to stabilize you.

He gasped at the pale tone of your face and blue circles under your eyes, you were freezing to death. Without thinking he took out his scarf and wrapped it around you before carrying you on his arms and walking back to where he came from.

“y…you?” you muttered

“yeah, it’s me”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA LONG CHAPTER!!! to made up for my abscence :P

Finally you met LEO!! I hope you liked this chapter and thank you for waiting, my life has been a little bit hectic lately.

VIXX is back in the US but they aren't coming to Dallas this year :/ I'm so sad I won't be able to see them again.

DONT FORGET TO COMMENT, SHARE AND UPVOTE

oh! here are my other stories, check them out if you'd like.

BLANK

Giving up on you

A Hunters Diary