Chapter 8

The Curse

(NO ONE POV)

It was past midnight that they decided to make a move. Suho was definitely nervous and Kris, well, he is Kris. As usual, he only kept a blank expression on his face. Sneaking out of the mansion was easier than trying to get through a bunch of guards. It was nerve-wrecking but they had to do it. They needed to know. Kris needed to know. He had been living in the darkness all this years and now was the chance, once in a lifetime chance to know the truth behind the curse.

Suho was looking around for any sign of guards while Kris was trying to break the lock. There are a lot of chains and it really annoyed Kris. With a grunt, Kris pulled all the chains in one go and luckily it broke.

“Well, you’re stronger than you look,” Suho complimented. Kris raised his left eyebrow. “Really? You just know?” Kris said, sarcastically.

Suho dismissed Kris behavior. He walked inside the tower. When he was in the tower, he froze on the spot. There’s a chilling aura inside it as if there was death waiting for them. Suho quickly turned to Kris with his wide eyes.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. Let’s get back to our room. I really, really have a bad feeling about this Kris!” Suho exclaimed in a hush tone. Kris sighed then he dragged Suho towards the staircase.

“We’re here already. W should just keep going and never turn back,” Kris said. Suho looked frantically around. As they move more towards the staircase, the more he felt that they were engulfed by the darkness.

On the wall, along the staircase, there were painted with different type of pictures. It was the history of this country. One picture really scared Suho the most that is a picture of a young lady with a long raven black hair and dark green eyes. Suho felt as if she was looking straight at them, observing their every move. He knew that he might be paranoid but he couldn’t help but feel as if that young lady trying to tell them something.

“Still scared?” Kris asked while looking at Suho’s face. Suho nodded, eyes still showed the fear he felt. Kris sighed for the second time that night and faced Suho. He held both sides of Suho’s shoulder and gazed straight into Suho’s eyes.

“You shouldn’t be worried. Nothing will happen to us. If something did happen, I’ll find a way for us to get out so, trust me!” Kris assured. Suho seemed a bit relax than when he was first step into the tower.

“Let’s go!” Kris interlaced his hand with Suho and urged him to follow him from behind. Suho followed Kris like Kris wanted to. From time to time, he kept looking at his surrounding to make sure that nothing would happen.

“You’re a man so stop acting like a wimp,” Kris said, trying to get Suho’s attention. He didn’t want his friend to be scared. If Suho was scared, then, they would surely have a hard time to try and get out of this place as he won’t stay focused on what he’s doing. Kris had known Suho too well that he could tell what might happen. The worst of all that might happen to Suho is that he might fainted which lead Kris to have a hard time to carry him to his room.

“No I’m not!” Suho scowl. He looked less frighten than before.

“Then, act more like a man!” Kris said with smirk. Even if it was dark, Suho still could see it.

“That stupid face with that stupid smirk…urghhh…I really hate it!” Suho stomped his foot. When they arrived at the top floor of the tower, Suho barged into the room in front of them first without waiting for Kris. His uneasiness and fear were left behind.

“And I love you too,” Kris said from behind. He tried to hold his laughter. Even if Suho was mad, at least, he wasn’t frightened anymore.

“Erm…Kris!” Kris immediately looked at Suho with questioning eyes.

“Don’t you think it’s weird that we could get in without any difficulties?” Suho asked. He was staring straight at Kris with confusion written all over his face.

“When you said it like that, I think you’re right. But then again, maybe some of them wanted to have a break for tonight. Who knows?” Kris said nonchalantly.

“You’re never been serious in what you’re doing right?” Suho sighed.

They looked around the room to look for the prophecy book. The room was empty except for the painting which covers the wall. It sure was hard to look for the book in the dark but they tried as hard as they could.

“I found it!” Kris exclaimed from across the room. Suho quickly ran towards him, face full of excitement.

“Open it!” Suho urged.

Kris took a deep breath then opened it. It was filled with prophecy about the past and the future. He flipped from one page to another until he found what he was looking for. He frowned. The words, the text, everything were about him but he still didn’t get it. The symbol it showed really is the symbol he had on his left arm but, was it the same prophecy.

Suho took the book from Kris and read what written in it. He also frowned upon reading it.

“This is ridiculous!” Kris exclaimed. He ran his hand through his hair. Suho didn’t believe what he read too. It was just unbelievable. How could the king decided to leave Kris alone where as the prophecy itself didn’t tell whether Kris would bring bad luck or not.

“I never thought that you would found the book first before I managed to come here!” A voice said from across the room. Kris and Suho immediately looked at where the voice came from. To their dismay, it was the king and behind him were a few guards.

“Why? Why did you do all this?” Kris asked his tone lace with anger. He glared at the king.

“You have read the book right? You know what the prophecy say, so you must understand everything, right?” the king said.

“I do understand and I think you’re the one who didn’t understand the prophecy,” Kris said. This time, his voice was calmer that before.

“What else should I try to understand from the prophecy? It said that you, Kris, would bring misfortune to our country,” the king said and this time he sounded annoyed. Maybe he was annoyed at the constant glare that Kris gave or maybe the fact that someone else already read about the prophecy and he really hate it.

“Erm…your majesty, but it said here that, ‘the country shall live along with the royal family. But in ten years a prince shall be born. He may bring misfortune or blessing for the royal family. It’s up to the ruler of the country to decide the next decision. When the dragon symbol arises, everything will change’. That is what it said,” Suho said.

“It didn’t say that I will definitely bring misfortune to this country. It also said that I might as well be a blessing to the country,” Kris hissed.

The king didn’t look affected by what Kris and Suho had said. He was never the one to show emotion and he would definitely never show any emotion. Years of ruling the country had make him realize that feelings were not needed if he wanted to the most powerful ruler.

“Anything could happen and I don’t want this country to be destroyed because of you. It’s better to get rid of you first before anything happen,” the king said with hatred. He looked menacingly at Kris.

He was not actually worried about the curse, the misfortune that Kris might brought upon them. He was just worried about the blessing that the prophecy book said. He didn’t want Kris overpower him. He wanted the people to only respect him and remembered him as the greatest ruler. If Kris was given a blessing, than that’s mean Kris would held greater power than him. That should never happen and he would never let it.

“Let’s stop this game already. Guards, take them to the dungeon and when the sun rises, kill them,” the king ordered. He then left the room.

The guards attacked Kris and Suho. They both tried to get away but there were too many guards. They were caught even before they had the time to run. It’s all happen too fast and Suho and Kris were brought to the dungeon. 

 

 

Well, the story almost finish (I think)...I'm not sure how many chapters more....hope you guys enjoy reading and thanks for all your support. I really appreciate it...>_<