Chapter 2

The Curse

(TAO POV)

Two days we had spent our time here but not once did brother came and meet us. The only time we met was only when we had lunch and dinner. I never heard him talk or anything unless if he wanted to give order to Suho. I was a bit sad so I decide to confront him but I never thought that this could happen. My own brother kissed me, not on the cheek but on the lips.

It’s true that I wanted to live with him. Maybe he felt lonely but he looked so peaceful living here alone. I was happy to be love by a lot of people but sometimes it’s so suffocating that I wished I could get out of that life. Everyone expect me to be the best and to be always on top. I had to keep my manners and I couldn’t do a lot of things I liked. I couldn’t even be alone without being watch by a guard.

If I wanted to stay here, I needed to listen to every word he said. But, am I willing to take his order? What will he do to me? I was scared but still curious. I didn’t know anything about him but from what I thought, he was nice. He might be rude to us but he never hurt us. Maybe he did all this because he was lonely.

I decided that I would go to his room tonight. Maybe he had something to tell me. And I need to ask him for his name. Even if he is my brother, I didn’t even know his name. Mother didn’t want to tell me either. She said, you should ask your brother yourself. It was irritating but I guess that’s the only way for me to get close to him.

I knocked his bedroom door nervously. I knew where his bedroom was located as Suho had told us when we first came. He opened the door and let me in. I looked around his room and it was really dark. I noticed that there wasn’t much furniture in it.

Suddenly I felt someone hugging me from the back. I froze on the spot. “Are you scared of me? The curse prince?” he whispered in my ears. I shook my head. “Really?” he asked again. I could sense amusement in his tone. “Y…yes!” I stuttered.

“Then, you don’t mind spending your night with me right?” he asked in a soft voice, still whispering to me.

 “W…What do you mean by spending my night with you?” I asked, confused. He sighed then he let me go. He headed to the bed and sat at the edge of the bed. He ushered me to sit next to him. I just did as he told me too.

“I was wondering, what you were doing here anyway,” he asked after a long silence. I glanced at him. “Why? Don’t you want us to be here?” I asked him back. He sighed. He lay down on the bed with his eyes fixed on me.

“The first and the last time I saw mom was when I was six. I was shocked to see you guys here,” he said with a soft smile. At that time, I knew that he was happy to see us, but at the same time, he was scared that we might hurt him again.

“You know something? It was like a dream to see mom here. All this time, I was hoping that she would come and visit me. I want her to love me, to always remember about me. But as I grew up, I learn that I should stop dreaming. She won’t come, not when she already has you as her new son. I was useless for her.”

It was the first time I heard him talk so much like that. I knew that he was in pain. He was longing for a mother’s warmth but he never got it.

“You’re wrong! Mom never forgets about you. She always thinks about you. When I was a kid, she always told me that I have a brother and I should never forget about that fact. I still remember that day. Even though I was still four years old, I still remember how happy mom looks. She told me that she met my brother. Even for just a moment, she was still happy,” I said. I too lay down next to him.

“You’re not lying aren’t you?” he asked, a bit unsure to what I said. “No. I would never lie to you!” I protested. I wanted him to trust me no matter what. I wanted to be close to him. I wanted to know the person who could easily make mom happy and sad. I wanted to know everything about this cursed prince.

He suddenly hugged me again. This time, we were completely lying on the bed. He brought my head to his chest and kissed my forehead. He then my back gently.

“Sleep!” That’s the only word he said before he close his eyes. He didn’t even let me go. I was confused. Before, he treated me harshly but then, just a while ago, he treated me nicely. I wondered what was in his mind. What was he thinking actually?

I kept staring at his face until I didn’t even know when I fell asleep. The next day I woke up, he was there, next to me. He was staring at me with his two beautiful eyes.

“Morning!” he greeted with a smile. I yawned then I hugged him.

“Still sleepy,” I said in a sleepy voice. I could hear him laugh softly.

“Wake up sleepyhead!” he said while my hair. I shook my head. I didn’t want to wake up. I wanted to stay in this warmth a little longer. He was so warm that I thought that I would always be safe in his arm. It was a weird feeling but I really like it.

“Mom will be worried about you if you didn’t go for breakfast with her.” He said in a gentle tone. I rubbed my eyes and looked at him while pouting. He sighed.

 “I’ll join you guys so will you wake up?” he persuaded. My eyes immediately shone with excitement. I nodded vigorously. He laughed then kissed me on the lips.

I felt at peace. I don’t know if it’s alright for brothers to be kissing on the lips but it’s all felt right. Maybe it’s brotherly love. Maybe it’s because I haven’t seen him before and was always hoping for a big brother. Maybe that’s why I felt happy every time he initiated a kiss.

“Urm…I’ve been wanting to ask you since we first met but I didn’t get a chance. So, is it okay if I ask you a question?” I asked, eyes were fixed on him. He nodded.

“Erm…what’s your name?” I asked sheepishly. He looked at me with wide eyes, lips parting a bit. I bit my lips and smiled sheepishly.

“Mom didn’t want to tell me. She said that I should ask you myself. I hope you’re not mad,” I explained, a bit scared that he might get angry but all I get was a loud laugh from him.

“Kris….just call me Kris,” he answered after a while. “Let’s prepare for breakfast. Mom must be waiting for you right now,” he continued. He kissed my left cheek and got up from bed. I just stared at him, not knowing what to do. Well, this is not my room, so, I don’t know how I should get change.

“I already asked Suho to prepare you some clothes to wear. Go and take a shower first. Your clothes were in the closet room there,” he said after seeing my confused look while pointing towards a door on the west side of the room.

“What about you?” I asked. He just chuckled and came closer to me. “I’ll take a shower later. I have things to do first and don’t worry. I’ll accompany you for breakfast with mom,” he answered. I just nodded and see him left the room.

I got up from bed and went to the bathroom to take a shower. Well, that went well! I never thought that he could be that loving. Hopefully, our relationship would get better after this.