Chapter 5

The Curse

(KRIS POV)

A week had passed since I last confessed to Tao. We’d become much closer than we had before. We would always spend our times together, hugging and of course kissing. But, we only did that behind our mother’s back. We didn’t want her to have a heart attack. Even though I still couldn’t forgive her for leaving me, I still care for her. She was still my mother after all and nothing could really change the fact.

“So, how long will you be here?” I asked Tao. He was lying comfortably on my bed while I was sitting on an armchair while reading a book.

“You didn’t want me here already?” he asked back, sounding upset. I sighed. I had to admit. Sometimes, handling Tao was hard. Sometimes, I even wonder, how the heck did I fall for him? I guessed he was too adorable to be unnoticed.

“It’s not that. I was just wondering,” I replied. I heard him sighed. Well, maybe sighing had become our habit.

“I’m staying here for 3 more days…” I cut him before he could finish his word, “3 more days? Why haven’t you told me about it?”

“Mom just told me this morning,” Tao answered.

I was quite shocked after hearing the news. Part of me said that it will be fine but part of me didn’t want to accept it. If Tao go back, will I be lonely again? It’s true that Suho was here with me, but Tao’s presence filled the void in my heart. Suho is a friend. He made me feel happy, absolutely happy but you know that it’s different when Tao’s around.

“Can I…stay here?” Tao asked after a long silence. I was startled. He had asked this before in fact, he had asked me countless time. But, at that moment, I couldn’t give my answer. I wanted him to stay but at the same time, I’m scared I might make the king angry. Making the king angry was totally not a good thing. Suho had told me countless stories about him and not even a single story was about his kindness. I was confused of what I should do.

Between the wants and needs, which one I should choose. Should I let Tao’s stay because I really wanted him too or should I said no because that was the right thing I need and should do. I was utterly confused. All I could do was looked at Tao with a blank expression. I couldn’t possibly let him know the turmoil I was having inside.

“You wouldn’t let me, wouldn’t you?” Tao was on the verge of tears.

I knew that he wanted to stay so badly but I just couldn’t. I know that I’m a coward for not being brave enough to take the risk. I even felt disgusted with myself.

“If that’s the case, I won’t bother you anymore,” he said. He then quickly got off the bed and went straight to door, getting out of my room. I knew he was crying but there’s nothing I could do. I couldn’t stop him and comfort him as I’m afraid that I might hurt him even more.

“What have I done?” I slumped on the armchair and gazed outside the window.

“What have you done?” A voice asked from the door. I looked up and could see Suho staring at me with unreadable eyes.

“I don’t get it why you didn’t let him stay but I guess, I would never be able to change your mind,” he continued.

“It’s for his own good,” I replied. Suho shook his head.

“You really are weird. If I were you, I wouldn’t care that much about the royal family. They have abandoned you. I will definitely get my revenge!” he said. Suho was now standing in front of me with a scowl on his face.

“It’s none of your business,” I said in a cold tone which I rarely used when I spoke to Suho.

“I have a suggestion!” Suho suddenly exclaim which startled me. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Let’s get out of this damn prison!” he said enthusiastically. I looked at him with disbelief.

Right! Getting out of this prison. Did he think it was that easy? Getting out and never got caught. If the king knew, not only I would be dead but he would too. I wouldn’t want to risk his life for me.

“Oh come on! I’m sick of this place. I’ve only live here for 2 years and I already hate it. I don’t know how you dealt with this situation…” Suho kept speaking on and on until I didn’t even understand what he was saying. All I could understand was that he didn’t like this place and he was thinking of getting out of here no matter what would happen and he was not going to let me live alone here either.

“Then, what’re you going to do?” I asked which brought Suho to silence. Maybe he was thinking or maybe he even didn’t know what we should do.

“Erm…that…that…we could…erm…” before he was able to say anything, he was cut by someone. “I could help!”

Our eyes went wide. Well, of course it would! We were surprise, totally surprise. That voice definitely belongs to my mother. She was the only woman in this mansion for the time being.

“Your highness,” Suho immediately bowed and he definitely looked nervous.

“I heard that you wanted to get out of this place. Maybe I could help you with it,” my mother said with a smile plastered on her face.

“What do you mean?” I asked while looking straight at her. She just smile and walked closer to me. She then sat in the armchair in front of me. We were facing each other. The only thing that separated us was a round coffee table.

Would you mind coming home with me?” she asked. For the second time that day, mine and Suho’s eyes went wide.

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. Am I dreaming? Or did my mom just made a joke? I and Suho were making eye contact. I knew that Suho wanted me to ask for further details but he should’ve known me. I didn’t like talking with my mother. Even though I was close with Tao, that doesn’t mean that I was close with my mother too.

“I realize that since Tao came here, he became much happier. I’ve never see him smile that brightly before. So, I was hoping that you wouldn’t mind coming with us and stay by Tao’s side,” my mother explained.

Now I get it! She only did all this for Tao. It’s not because of me. She would never think of me when doing something. I was disappointed but a part of me actually felt happy because at least I could be with Tao. I guessed, I should just agree to her. Then, I could be with Tao always. But then, what if the king knew? Wouldn’t that brought trouble to us?

As if she knew what I was thinking, she continued, “The king never met you so I think it would be fine as long as you hide the tattoo on your left arm. To make sure that he didn’t get suspicious, we could just tell him a lie, a simple lie.”

“And, what’s that?” I asked, intrigued.

“We could say that you save me and Tao from the bandits. That could explain why there’s only me, Tao and his assistant when we’re coming home,” she replied. I nodded as a sign that I accepted her idea.

“So, what actually happened to the guard? I was just wondering, your highness,” Suho asked this time. I was actually a bit surprised that he was brave enough to ask my mother a question.

“Oh, I just gave them an early vacation. The king wouldn’t know. He was too busy with his work that he didn’t really care about who’s guarding us,” my mother answered nonchalantly. I laughed lightly.

“You’re not worried that the bandits actually attack you?” I asked, slightly amused.

“Tao’s strong enough to protect me and Yixing was there. He is one of the strongest knights in our country,” she replied. Upon hearing Yixing’s name, I could see that Suho was blushing. Wow, this was an improvement! I never see him blush before. Don’t tell me he likes this Yixing guy.

“We’re going back in 3 more days and the both of you are coming. Don’t argue and my decision is final!” My mother rose from her seat and went out of my room without giving us the chance to say anything.

“So…we’re getting out, right?” Suho looked at me. I frowned then nodded. I guessed, there’s nothing we could do. I wanted to be with Tao and the queen already agreed. She even helped us so, why not? This would be interesting! Totally interesting! I wonder how the king would react if he knows the truth.