Hunger Game

A Home

How did it turn out this way? Was this a dream? Was she suddenly transported to a parallel universe? No way this was happening to her.

 

Sitting on the bench where the lights from the city colored the night sky was no way in Tiffany’s schedule, especially not when the hobo that had found her a couple of months ago was now snuggling close to her with her slender arms wrapped possessively and comfortably around her shoulder. They had a perfect and romantic view of the the fountain, the buildings, the stars, and the sky.

 

Seriously. How the heck did this happen, Tiffany wondered, smiling sweetly back at the blonde who seemed to make Tiffany confused, giddy, and distracted all at the same time. 

 

What an unexpected turn of events this was. 

 

Months ago, Tiffany and Jessica had made a deal. Similar to how she treats her stray cats, Tiffany promises to help Jessica until she is able to take care of herself.

 

*

 

-Two Months Ago-

 

“I’m hungry!” A dolphin-pitched squeal and an object hitting the wall followed the exclamation.

 

With a roll of her eyes, Tiffany resumed with her drawings in her office room. She had to be ready before the next fashion show and it was difficult to concentrate with the hobo screaming every five minutes for some food.

 

“I’m hungry.”

 

The unexpected, hot breath tickled and startled the fashion designer.

 

“Oh my god, you scared me!” Tiffany whirled her chair around to face the blonde.

 

Jessica appeared unaffected by the latter. She pointed her index finger at Tiffany as she spoke accusingly, “I’ve been hungry since this morning and you still haven’t fed me no matter how much I told you to get me food.”

 

The highhandedness tone had Tiffany stunned. Did this freeloading bum honestly think she was living in some hotel? Was Tiffany some maid who had to follow this girl’s every wish and command?

 

“Get it yourself. I’m not your damn servant.” Tiffany hissed, barely able to contain her anger.

 

“There’s no more food in the house!” Jessica replied with frustration before placing her hand against her empty, flat belly. It was so mean of Tiffany to let a guest starve like this.

 

“That’s because you ate it all! I don’t care how you get food. Just get it yourself and leave me alone. I have work to do and you’re bothering me.”

 

 Jessica thought for a second, meeting the eyes of a glaring brunette before finally clicking her tongue and turning sharply around to leave the room.

 

With a sigh, Tiffany went back to work for the next hour. It went pleasantly well. Finally, there was peace and quiet and Tiffany was able to finish her sketches.

 

When she finally got up to stretch, she heard the doorbell ring. Tiffany started walking for the door when suddenly a figure rushed past her and got to the door before her. With a sudden halt, Tiffany stared at the blonde’s back, noticing the shorts and tight, thin tank top. Why change your clothes if you’re not even going out?

 

“Hi, is that my order?” Jessica asked with tenderness to her voice. Very different from the bossy and annoying attitude she had with Tiffany.

 

“Y-yes.” The pizza delivery boy whispered his answer, possibly dumbstruck from the beauty. His mouth was open and it looked like a waterfall was seeping out of it.

 

“Great! I’m starving.” Jessica excitedly said, taking the box from the boy’s hands.

 

Clearing his throat, the boy managed to recover to say, “That’ll be fifteen thousand won.”

 

“O-oh.” The sudden sadness in Jessica’s voice had Tiffany’s eyebrow rising. What was this girl up to?

 

“I-is there a p-problem?” The boy asked, taking a step forward in haste to comfort the dejected hottie.

 

“It’s nothing. I…well, I just…” Jessica bit her lip, her gaze lowering to her feet.

 

“What’s wrong? You can tell me.” Tiffany had to commend the boy for somehow managing to discreetly place his hand on Jessica’s shoulder.

 

“I didn't know it would be so expensive.” Jessica confessed. Her voice cracking as her lower lip trembled. Wow, this actress, Tiffany thought. She might have fallen for Jessica’s act in the beginning, but after having to do everything to please the girl for the first week, Tiffany broke out of the blonde’s spell and was now immune to her tricks.

 

“If it’s too much, I can pay for it. I’ll just take it out of the tip jar; so don’t worry about having to pay for it. Consider it free of charge.”

 

The boy’s heroic statement had Jessica smiling bubbly once again.

 

“Really? Wow, that’s so sweet of you.”

 

“It’s nothing. It was my pleasure to help out a beautiful girl like you.” The pizza boy eagerly said, pulling out his phone to hopefully get Jessica’s phone number.

 

“Um, so would you like to exchange phone num-“

 

“Well, bye.” Jessica quickly said before slamming the door in his face.

 

“I can’t believe you just did that. That’s just wrong.” Tiffany finally said, following after Jessica, who was headed for the table.

 

“What? You said I had to get food on my own.”

 

“But you didn’t pay and made him pay for your pizza instead. You can’t cheat people like that, Jessica.” Tiffany spoke sternly.

 

“But I’m hungry! And I have no money!” Jessica cried, shoving a slice of pizza in like a chubby hamster storing food for the winter. The blonde continued to fill her cheeks with pizza, looking cautiously at Tiffany as if she were about to take her food from her.

 

Tiffany sighed. She realized that having Jessica scout for jobs outside wasn’t going to work out. It’s been three weeks and the girl still hasn’t found a job.

 

“Starting tomorrow, you’ll be my assistant. The work won’t be easy and the hours will be long, but at least you’ll be paid well enough to-“

 

Tiffany crashed to the ground as Jessica tackled her to hug her tightly. A burst of warmth and ecstasy had Tiffany’s veins pumping.

 

“Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ll work my hardest to be the best assistant you ever had. I promise!”

 

Did Jessica really mean what she said or not? After being exposed to Jessica’s personality, Tiffany really hoped the girl was serious about this job.

 

 


Hi, everyone! I know it seems weird to start with the present and then go back to the past, but it's because this story is going to be short that I decided to write it like this so the next 2-4 chapters will be from 'months ago'