Stray

A Home

“Please, can you spare me some food and maybe a bed to sleep in? I’m homeless.”

 

Tiffany stared blankly at the blonde girl who was dressed in a white T-shirt and denim jeans that fit snuggly against her long legs. Despite her shoeless feet, the stranger didn’t look like a hobo or maybe she was just a very clean hobo.

 

Realizing a little too late, as her mind was preoccupied with the blonde’s beautiful features, the hobo entered her apartment without so much as an invitation.

 

What a rude hobo.

 

“Hey, what are you doing!” Tiffany followed after the girl who suddenly opened her fridge and pulled out some ham, cheese, and lettuce to make herself a sandwich.

 

“Where did you put the bread?” The hobo asked with her head turned around to stare directly at the appalled Tiffany.

 

With her hands on her hips, Tiffany replied flatly, “I’m not telling you anything until you tell me who the heck you are and what the heck you’re doing coming into my home uninvited and stealing my food.”

 

“I’m Jessica Jung and I didn’t come here uninvited. Word on the street is you take in strays.” Jessica answered with a cute grin.

 

Tiffany ignored the tug on her heart from Jessica’s sudden smile and glared at her. “I take in stray cats. Not stray humans.”

 

“Then pretend I’m a cat. I’m really good at acting, you know.” Jessica responded with her hands balled into fists against her cheeks. “See? Don’t I look adorable?”

 

“Not the least.” Tiffany pressed her hands behind her back to keep from pinching the latter’s cheeks.

 

Puffing out her cheeks, Jessica pouted. “Darn. That usually works.”

 

“Stop that.”

 

“Stop what?” Jessica inquired with a tilt of her head.

 

Looking like a cute, chubby kitten that needs a good pat and a little pinch on those inflated cheeks.

 

“Just leave. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you.” Tiffany sighed and directed her finger to the door.

 

“I… see…” Jessica answered softly. Her little sniffle soon followed as she placed the ingredients back into the fridge.

 

“I’m… sorry… for intruding.” Jessica sniffed, wiping her hands against her nonexistent trail of tears. Well, it wasn’t like the latter could see her face with her back toward her.

 

Tiffany stood guiltily by her table, not daring to look at the hobo walk past her.

 

“It’s cold outside. Remember to put on a jacket if you decide to go out.” Jessica suddenly said as she pulled her arms around herself, making sure to tremble a little to emphasize her point.

 

The girl’s steps were fading with each second that passed by. Tiffany could swear she heard her own conscience screaming at her for being so heartless.

 

“Oh, and I hope you have a nice dinner.” Jessica turned her head to Tiffany and eyed the bag of food in the girl’s hands.

 

With a resigned groan, Tiffany finally looked at Jessica, who was staring at her pitifully.

 

“Actually, there’s more than enough food for two. Why don’t you join me?”

 

“Really?!” The blonde didn’t wait for a reply as she snatched the bag out of Tiffany’s hands.

 

Tiffany stared dumbly at the homeless girl who was stuffing . What was she doing taking in a stray human?