001

Vetitus Amoris Academy

***Note: bastard in this story just means someone who is illegitimately born

 

It was finally the day. Exam day. The day where your decision is solidified.

 

Myungsoo POV

 

Myungsoo walked into the waiting hall and sat in line. There were many other people like himself, some unsure of themselves, some extremely confident. Over time, the line gradually grew shorter and shorter as he was finally the one to enter the room. An examiner says to him, “Put your hand on each stone and try to invoke your energy.”

 

Myungsoo puts his hand on the first stone. It was a bright orange quartz stone about a meter and a half tall, glowing with vibrant energy. He tries evoking his power but there is no reaction from the stone. He moves onto the next one.

 

It was a clear blue stone, almost transparent but with milky clouds within like a summer sky. There is bright spark of light as Myungsoo evokes his energy. The examiners look surprised and write something down on their papers.

 

He moves onto the next stone, a dark obsidian with sharp edges. He puts his hand on it and almost immediately he knew this one was the right one for him. It exuded an almost blinding light as Myungsoo evokes his energy. The examiners’ faces changed from shock to worry as they hurriedly scribbled something down on their papers.

 

Myungsoo leaves the room and into the waiting hall contemplating what he had felt. Perhaps… it’s that one… he thought as he exited the building.

 

Sunggyu POV

 

Choosing day.  Or you could call it humiliation day thought Sunggyu as he trudges up the stairs leading up to auditorium. He stopped suddenly, racked with pain, bending over and coughing over and over again. Sunggyu had almost collapsed from lack of air when suddenly a pair of strong arms lifted him up from behind and he could finally breath again. It was like magic. Wait a second, that was magic! Sunggyu thought as he spun around to face his savior.

 

A pair of deep brown eyes greeted him as the young man smiled warmly and said, “Are you okay?”

Sunggyu glanced around suspiciously before whispering quietly, “What did you think you were doing? You aren’t supposed to use magic!”

The young man looked confused, “But you looked really sick. I was just trying to help you.”

“You could have gotten in trouble with the guards! You could have been denied entrance into the academy!” Sunggyu hissed.

“But -” the young man was cut off as the bell tolled for the start of the ceremony.

“Hurry up,” the teenage boy called as he bounded up the stairs.

“Wait a second,” Sunggyu asked breathlessly, “What’s your name?”

He grinned, “I’m Woohyun. Nam Woohyun.”

Woohyun expression changed, “Do you want me to help you?”

“No - Wait actually yes,” Sunggyu said hurriedly as he saw the two guards move to close the gates.

Woohyun literally drags Sunggyu all the way up the stairs. Sunggyu admired how strong the younger boy was and wished he was like him. They barely make it through the gates and Sunggyu collapses onto Woohyun’s shoulder.

“Where are you sitting?” asks Woohyun.

“Aliqui,” Sunggyu says as he is half walked half carried to the Aliqui section.

 

Sunggyu could feel Woohyun’s muscles flexing as he strides to the seats. Sunggyu finally steals a good look at Woohyun’s face.

 

His mental jaw drops.

 

Woohyun’s flawless skin glistens slightly with sweat as his long lashes fluttered, eyes trying to blink the sweat out of them. His mouth was slightly open, his breaths calming down as he settled down in a seat next to Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu mentally winces. How can you be thinking that! he scolded himself. He would never accept being your friend anyway.

 

The order of announcing came in rank order. From commoners up until the royal family. This year, apparently, there was to be a royal prince to choose. Apella went first. No transfers thought Sunggyu That’s really strange… Suddenly, an enthusiastic tall boy interrupts his thoughts. “Why can’t they hurry up!” he whined as he flopped around in his chair, “I want to hurry up and choose!” “Shut up, Sungyeol!” hissed my younger brother, Sungjong, “They’re already moving onto Praela, just sit still.” Sungyeol finally calms down and sits sullenly.

 

As the first Praela is called forward, the entire Praela crowd started booing. “Go back to your original kingdom, you bastard!” “You don’t deserve to stay in Praela!” insults came out of the crowd. “Who is that?” Sunggyu asks his younger brother. Sungjong looks a bit taken aback, “You don’t know who it is?” “I wasn’t exactly allowed to talk with people!” Sunggyu snapped back angrily.

“Sorry,” Sungjong meekly replied, “That is Lee Howon, a commoner in Praela who was born between a Praela noble and a Aliqui servant.”

 

“Stop it!” an authoritative voice rang out. It was Dongwoo, the son of the grand vizier of Praela. Everyone suddenly quiets down. The selection begins again.

 

After Hoya chooses Praela and Dongwoo chooses Praela, the Aliqui selection starts. Sungyeol stays in Aliqui. As Sungjong walks to the front, everyone starts whispering. “Isn’t that the prodigy? The son of the grand vizier?” “I heard that he’s 2 years younger than most of us.” Sungjong chooses Aliqui.

 

Sunggyu sighs inwardly. He slowly stands up and feels a hand on his arm. He turns around and sees Woohyun. “Don’t worry,” Woohyun whispers, “just choose what you want for yourself.” Sunggyu smiled sadly and slowly walked down to the front. “Isn’t that the brother of the young prodigy?” “I heard that he’s 2 years older than most of us.” “What a pity. His younger brother is so talented.” The whispers had started again. Sunggyu gritted his teeth against the insults and finally reached the front. He glanced around quickly before choosing Apella.

 

Woohyun POV

 

Woohyun felt worried as the frail older man closed his eyes and started choosing. Sunggyu had felt so light and fragile in his arms. He might faint again Woohyun thought. He gazed at Sunggyu and his eyes skipped over Sunggyu’s delicate features. His lips so soft and full. His porcelain skin a delicate pale color. His skin really is pale thought Woohyun almost too pale. He could see Sunggyu waver slightly and his face grimaced in pain as he emitted a dark light, the light of Apella.

 

The entire auditorium gasped. It was the first transfer of the day and everyone knew that Aliqui almost never transferred to Apella. As Sunggyu stood up, he stumbled forward, weak from effort. Woohyun felt an urge to rush forward and support him just like how he had on the stairs but willed himself to not embarrass the older guy anymore.

 

Sunggyu wandered over to the Apella section. Most of the time, members of the department would heartily welcome any new recruits, but Sunggyu was very weak. He would drag down their department.

 

“His Royal Majesty, Prince L,” the announcer called out. Woohyun heard a rustling behind him and looked back. It was the prince of the Aliqui! He was tall with intense eyes and jet-black hair. He is handsome Woohyun thought but a different kind of beauty than Sunggyu. Next to him Sungyeol looked mesmerized.

 

Sungyeol POV

 

Sungyeol heard a rustling behind him and glanced back. His eyes widened.

 

Sitting behind him was the most beautiful person he had ever met in his whole life and he hadn’t even noticed. His raven black hair and pale skin offset each other and his lips were the color of pink roses. However, the one thing that caught Sungyeol’s attention the most were his eyes. His eyes reflected a coldness and apathy that one at his age shouldn’t feel.

 

L stepped forward. He closed his eyes and everyone in the auditorium waited with bated breath to see what the heir to the Aliqui kingdom would choose. After a few minutes, everyone started talking quietly amongst themselves. It normally didn’t take this long for a selection, especially for a member of the royal family because they always choose their own kingdom. The selection only took this long if the examinee was denying what was supposed to be chosen.

 

L opened his eyes and Sungyeol could see the same pain and bitterness he had seen before. L glared at the balcony reserved for the royal family above their seats. He smirked grimly before choosing Apella.

 

Sungyeol was shocked as was everyone else in the room. How could the prince betray his own kingdom! Sungyeol thought as he gaped at the prince slowly trudging back up the stairs.

 

Suddenly, their eyes met and Sungyeol was taken back at how deep and mysterious L’s eyes were. The prince kept the eye contact for a few seconds before narrowing his eyes and turned away.

 

Sungyeol felt guilty all of a sudden. There must be a good reason for him choosing Apella Sungyeol thought I shouldn’t judge him too harshly. But he is still the prince he sighed.

 

It was time for the three Heads of School’s speech. The first one stepped up to the platform.

 

“Hello, students! I am the head of the Praela division, Jung Jihoon. You guys can call me Bi.” He was tall and muscular not to mention that his eyes had a undaunted glint that meant no mercy for students who didn’t follow the rules.

 

“HI HI HI GUYZZZZZ AND GIRLZZZZZ! I AM THE LEADER OF THE APELLA DEPARTMENT!!!! MY NAME IS GDRAGON AND I AM DEFINITELY NOT CRAZY!!” The maniacal guy grinned crazily and walked off the platform.

 

“Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am the head of the Aliqui division, Kim Taeyeon. You may call me Lady Taeyeon.” The soft-spoken leader of the Aliqui division was known to be very scary when angry, but Sungyeol doubted that. She looked and acted very sweet and warm, how could she ever be scary he chuckled quietly to himself. Taeyeon suddenly looked at him. “Excuse me, over there, that young man. Did you just laugh at me?” she was smiling but somehow everyone could feel the dark murderous aura radiating from her. “N-no, Taey-I mean-Lady Taeyeon,” Sungyeol stuttered. “Good,” she smiled sweetly and the intimidating aura disappeared. Sungyeol breathed a sigh of relief as his friend Woohyun patted him on the back. “You should know better than to get on her bad side,” he muttered softly.

 

“Anyway, students, now that you know each of your respective departments, come to your department heads to get your dorm assignments,” Bi called.

 

After a full ten minutes of scrambling and bruised ribs from all the jabs he got from the Praela students, Sungyeol finally got his dorm key and headed off, along with Woohyun, to his room.

 

As he and Woohyun reached their room, Sungyeol opened the door and flopped onto the bed. Woohyun just laid down on the floor. “You should come down Sungyeol-ah! The ground is nice and cool!” Sungyeol knew Woohyun was just trying to get him down from the bed so he could get the bed. Sungyeol rolled his eyes, “Whatever. I’m going to wash my face.” He headed to the bathroom down the hall. There was a gigantic waiting line so he headed to the private bath/shower rooms a little further away. Only one was unlocked. Sungyeol opened the door and was met with a familiar pair of eyes. It was L.



          <<<<<<<<<<<-:-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;--;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;>>>>>>>>>>>

 

Author's Note

Hey guys! I know this is my first time writing anything so the style might be a bit awkward....

The chapter is a bit short because I was trying for a cliffhanger.... if you can call that a cliffhanger.... i guess not....

Hope you guys like it!