L and D

Luhan and Dara

The silent hum of the car, the tepid air that penetrates the half-rolled window, the warmth of someone so close by; all of these, Dara thought, she will remember in the future with fondness. 

On the next days of spring, she plans to drive her car around town, roll down her window halfway, and reminisce about this wonderful moment.

Luhan, on the other hand, keeps stealing glances at Dara whose attention is focused  at the scenery outside. She looks so serene  and beautiful in the light of the late afternoon sun that Luhan wishes for the moment to never end. 

But, the car has to stop at one point.

Luhan parks the car in front of a family mart. "We'll walk from here noona."

Dara gets off the vehicle and starts surveying the neighborhood. There are quite a number of people walking in the streets, but still not as crowded as Samchundong. The atmosphere is relaxed and lazy, perfect for a late afternoon stroll.

A sudden warmth envelopes her right hand and her heart skips beat when she realizes what it is.

It's now or never, Luhan thought as he brazenly clasped Dara's hand with his.

"You're holding my hand." Dara states the obvious while looking at their linked hands.

Luhan looks at her "Yes I am." he said tersely. Dara smiles then squeezes his hands as a sign of approval.

"Okay, you can hold my hand but just this once." Dara winks at him. Luhan just smiles. They leisurely walk the cobbled streets of Buamdong hand in hand.

"Aren't you afraid that someone might recognize us?" Dara asks after a while.

"I am. But, I am more afraid for you." Luhan looks at her briefly trying to gauge her reaction, Dara is looking up at him curiously.

"I love my group, I love the people I work with, I love the fans who supports us, and I also love this moment." He holds up their linked hands.

"I know it is selfish and quixotic of me to want to have all those things right now. People may even find it impossible. But, I have decided to take a shot at it, several shots if necessary, and each time I will give it my best. One day, I am sure I'll find a way to make all of those things work out."  Luhan pauses to face Dara. 

In broad daylight, Luhan holds both of Dara's hands and, while looking at her in the eyes, says "I am more afraid for you noona because I don't want you to get hurt, but in trying to achieve my wishes, I know you will be one of the persons who'll suffer; that thought is what makes me afraid. I don't want to sever our friendship but I don't want you to get hurt either. It's difficult." 

He searches her eyes for any sign that could assure him that she has understood what he was trying to convey. Her eyes doesn't give away any emotions.

Dara doesn't even utter a single word when Luhan let go of her hands. She motions for Luhan to start walking. Dara's silence was like a dagger to Luhan's heart. 

This is her answer and I just have to learn to accept it. Luhan sighs sadly.

They reach a two-story building with bricked walls and a wooden door. In the future, Dara would remember how that shop reminded her of houses from fairytales.

As Luhan was about to lift the brass door knocker, Dara stops his hand.

"Sorry that I haven't said anything back there, but you see I was at a loss for words. What words could have been enough as a reply to what you've just told me? But, I'll try" She is now the one who takes both of Luhan's hands. 

Luhan's heart starts beating rapidly.

"I believe in you." Dara whispers. 

Even if those four words were spoken so quietly, Luhan heard them as smoothly as if Dara has shouted them. 

Luhan finally smiles, "Dara-noona, they said you are a person who makes the impossible possible, I will prove to you that I can do it too. Do you trust me?"

"I do."

Luhan's face brightens.

"Ah! That was a stupid line." Dara said after a while which made Luhan flinch. Did she regret what she just said?

"Saying I do is so cheesy. It felt like I just agreed to your marriage proposal or something." 

"Maybe it was a marriage proposal" Luhan teases.

Dara pinches his waist.

"You really are a sadist noona. I can no longer count the number of times you've hit, slapped and pinched me. Are you, by any chance, a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey?" 

"What's that?" Dara looks at him puzzled.

Luhan gapes at her then it hits him "Ah! Generation gap!" 

"Yah! I have no time to watch the television these days much less a foreign show!" One of the things that Dara dislikes is being reminded of her age.

"It's a book noona! A book!" Luhan is laughing now. 

They are still holding each other's hands.

Dara shrugs at him "Whatever. I'm not interested in reading a book with erse contents." 

"It wasn't too erse. And, does that mean that you agree with me when I said that your mean actions are actually part of your eccentric taste in-"

"Yah!" Dara cuts off whatever Luhan was about to say and starts hitting him.

The door suddenly opens and an old man comes out with a little girl by his side. "What is with all that noise? And, Why are you talking about improper things? There's a kid in here! "

"Seonsaengnim! We are very sorry to have disturbed you." Luhan bows apologetically at the man. Dara does the same.

The man's stern face softens and he starts laughing "It's okay. Nara and I have actually been eavesdropping on the two of you. That was quite a speech Luhan-ssi" he says grinning.

"Saem!" Luhan is blushing, a look of disbelief is displayed in his face. The little girl starts giggling by the man's side.

"What could we have done to avoid it when we could hear your voices loud and clear from inside. It's your fault for talking so loudly at my doorstep." He then sighs wistfully, "Back in the days courtships were done at the house of the girl and in the presence of her parents. Kids these days." 

"Seonsaengnim, back in your days, arranged marriage was practiced." Luhan playfully counters.

"Give this old man a break. Anyway, aren't you going to introduce us to your lovely friend?" He smiles warmly at Dara.

"Seonsaengnim, this is my new friend Sandara Park." Luhan looks at her teasingly when he said 'new friend'. She wrinkles her nose at him in response.

"Dara-noona, this old but handsome man here is Park Yeong Ho-seongaengnim. He is an amazing artist and is the owner of this craft shop." 

Yeongho jokingly curtsies to Dara which the latter copies making the man laugh. "I also make the best coffee in this side of Seoul" he feigns a whisper at her.

"This beautiful lady, meanwhile, is Nari-agasshi. She is the prettiest lady in all of Buamdong. Even prettier than you noona." 
Luhan winks at Dara and carries the girl inside the shop as if it is the most natural thing to do. 

So cute, Dara thought while gazing at the scene.

"Let's go inside then Dara-ssi." Yeongho interrupts Dara's thoughts and smiles knowingly at her which made her blush.

As the door of the shop closes, a man, who had been discreetly observing all that has transpired at the doorstep of that particular building, smiles at himself in satisfaction. 

Another point for Dispatch.