Him

Luhan and Dara

“Every day may not be good, but there’s something good in every day” the framed quote sits on top of the café's cupboard.

Luhan tugs at his beanie anxiously. He's afraid someone might recognize him. He has developed a slight paranoia since the day he debuted as an idol. 

But who in this industry is not paranoid, he reasons. 

The café was quiet and slightly chilly. Besides himself, there were only two other patrons present which made him feel less jittery.

His fingers traces lazy patterns on the cup of his half-consumed americano. Luhan stares longingly at the cakes on display and regrets not ordering a slice.

His phone buzzed informing him of a new message.

"Practice at 4 PM.", it said. That had been the third message Luhan received from their manager since arriving at the café and it's only two in the afternoon. He drinks his coffee. 

I really need that slice of cake.

Luhan went over to the lavish display counter. Just as he was contemplating whether a siena cake fits better with the taste of americano than a strawberry cake, the wind chimes by the door sounded alerting him of new customers. He tugs at his beanie again and buttons the trench coat that stretches way past his knees.

"Two slices of strawberry cake, two blueberry muffins, two banana muffins, a cup of café bombón for me and a caramel macchiato for her." A tiny voice piped up. 

Luhan smiles. The lady said all of those in one breathing, he points out.

"I wish we can order all the pastries here." Another female voice said. 

"We can. I would love to have you as my gym buddy. Hwangssabu-nim keeps on saying how much he misses you these days." the tiny voice answered. 

Luhan does not even need to see her face to know she was smiling while saying those words. His smile grew even wider. 

Whoever she is, she's adorable. 

The new customers went to look for a table while Luhan approached the counter to order.

"I'd like to order a slice of strawberry cake please." Luhan smiles at the woman behind the counter. She smiles back "Will that be all miss?"

 

Luhan returns to his table and sits back forlornly. Of course he had to accept the woman's apology. What else can he do? At that very moment he vows to never wear that oversized trench coat again.

Luhan was too preoccupied with his misery to notice that the new customers were seated at the table behind him. He toys with his cake while he watches the rain droplets slide down the glass windows. This could've been a nice setting for a romantic movie, he imagines.

"Dara-yah" 

The moment Luhan heard that name being called out, the tiny hairs at the back of his neck stood up. He is suddenly at the edge of his seat. 

How is it that in his many attempts to meet the bearer of that wonderful name, he finally gets the chance on the day he wasn't prepared? How can he have the courage to introduce himself to her when just minutes ago his confidence was shattered by a kind lady who thought he was a girl. 

He sighs and sits back dejected.

Luhan settled on eavesdropping at Bom and Dara's conversation. When his name came up in their talk, the chills he was feeling intensified.

Why? he thought in horror.

The moment it was mentioned that he followed Dara on Instagram, Luhan feels like his heart was ready to jump off his chest.

"He looks a little girly don't you think?"

Luhan's heart is now lying miserably at his feet, that is the only reason he could think of as to why he suddenly dropped his head on the table as if he just fainted.

"Are you okay?" the woman from the counter can't help but ask Luhan. The sound of his head hitting the wooden surface of the table resonated loudly at the rather quiet café.

"Uhm...yeah" Luhan awkwardly replies while rubbing his injured forehead. He races for the restroom. He paces back and forth the small space and finally just went for a pee. Because, what else can he do in a restroom. 

With his head down, Luhan walks briskly out of the restroom and heads for the door with the intent of leaving that damned café when he crashes into someone. He lost his balance and embarrassingly lands on his . 

Can this day get even worse?

"Woah. Easy there. You must've hit your head hard on the table that you're feeling all woozy." 

Luhan's eyes had to travel some mile-high long legs before they landed on the face of none other than Park Bom who was looking at him amusedly. Dara chuckles behind him.

The poor boy immediately stood up and bowed his head to his seniors. "I'm sorry sunbaenim." 

"Sunbaenim?" Bom and Dara both looks at Luhan questioningly.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Luhan imnida. I'm a member of EXO." he introduces himself with his head still bowed. 

Park Bom laughs. Dara blushes. Luhan's mauled heart is lying lifeless by his feet.