Us

Luhan and Dara

"Bom-noona is a fox!" Chanyeol shouts out in frustration. The EXO members are gathered in their dorm after finishing the preparations for their comeback.

"Yeah, she's hot!" Yi Xing agrees automatically.

"Hyung! What I meant was Bom-noona is as sly as a fox. She told me that she's going to give me Dara-noona's mobile number but then she suddenly switches allegiance to that person over there." Chanyeol grudgingly points at Luhan who has his eyes fixed on the television.

"And don't ask me why foxes are called sly." Chanyeol interrupts Yi Xing just when the latter was about to say something. The main dancer pouts because that was just what he was about to say. "You're no fun at all! You should've waited for the punchline!"

Meanwhile, Luhan was struggling to keep his eyes on the television when he heard what Chanyeol said. He starts sweating.

Minseok hugs him from the back and whispers, "You got to tell him one of these days you know." Before Luhan could even reply, the other leaves and he was left looking at his retreating back with his mouth gaping. He has never told anyone about getting Dara-noona's number nor of their chance meeting.

Luhan didn't notice that Suho had been observing him the whole time.

 

 

Today is a perfect spring day, not too hot and not too cold either, but I'm stuck sweating like a pig in this gym when I could've just went out and have fun, Dara laments.

"A cute pig but still a sweating cute pig! Argh!" Dara unknowingly voices out loud her frustrations.

"Ssabu-nim, Dara-noona has gone nuts again!" playful Dony who's been exercising at the gym with his fellow Hi-tech dancers noticed her quirky noona talking by herself.

Hwangssabu-nim looks at Dara, "Yah! Leave her alone, she's probably brushing up on her acting skills." 

"Oh, so will she be playing the role of a pig then?" Dony jokes.

"I heard that!" Dara shouts at him. "Ssabu-nim, I'll end my routine here, I forgot I had somewhere to go to. I promise to do extra sets next time." he agrees. 

Dara stucks out her tongue at Dony and waves good-bye to the other dancers who are pleading for a break from Ssabu-nim. "No! You have to get those abs ready for the concert since you like taking your tops off!" 

"It's only the twins Ssabu-nim!" the other whines.

 

 

Dara looks frustratingly at her phone. She has been inside her car for the last 15 minutes and she still couldn't decide where to go and what to do for the rest of the day.

As if on cue, her phone lights up indicating a new message.

From: Lu
Dara-noona, good morning! What are you doing?

Dara and Luhan had been exchanging messages since that time by the Han river two nights ago. 

Their messages are often short and reserved. They also refrain from sending too many messages in case there'll be misunderstandings.

What kind of misunderstandings? Dara wonders. That I like him or that he may also like me? Dara rests her head on the steering wheel of her car.

Dara knows that what she's feeling right now is not love. Maybe a crush but definitely not love, she assure herself.

I want to see him. But if I see him, I might want to see him again...and again...and again.

Dara's car stayed in that parking lot for a good twenty minutes more.

 

 

Ding. Ding. Luhan takes his phone to his room upon hearing the message tones.

From: 다라!
Nothing. Want to go with me to that café at Samchundong? 

From: 다라!
This is not a date! I'm just bored.

Luhan laughs nervously. Of course he wants to see her but at the same time he feels nervous.

Luhan had crushes on so many girls before. He had felt that butterfly-in-your-stomach feeling hundreds of times since. But, every time those feelings would disappear in his consciousness just as quietly as they've appeared. They were meaningless.

At the beginning, he thought his feelings for Dara would be the same. He had a crush on her since 2ne1's debut. He's had a crush on her for so long that he thought he is at the point where he knows the feelings would gradually die down on its own just like the affection he felt for the women he previously liked.

But, now that he has talked to Dara, spent time with her and saw her smile at no one else but him, he feels a sense of foreboding for the future. 

To: 다라!
Okay noona. I'll be on our it's-not-a-date date within 30 minutes. ;)

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these ‘It might have been.’

 

 

Dara and Luhan are sitting at the crowded café, discomfort written on their faces. They are both wearing caps to hide their faces and a simple tee and jeans for a casual look.

"If you are going on a date, ditch the trench coat please." Minseok told Luhan earlier when he was choosing his clothes. He smiles at the the other. That was Minseok's way of saying that he understands his situation.

"Last time I was here, I thought that this place was as romantic as clichéd romantic movies have gone but now it has turned to an ordinary café that serves overpriced coffee." Dara groans disappointedly.

"That's the thing about romantic movies noona, they can only imitate love." Dara looks at Luhan curiously.

"If you liken romance to those that you've seen in movies then you have probably been looking at love the wrong way. Movies and dramas can never emulate the gravity of love. To someone who is in love, this place can be the most expensive café that serves overpriced coffee or the dingiest bistro that serves the 3-in-1 variety and it would not matter because they simply love this place. Without knowing how, or why or when, people simply love." Luhan is looking at the café's window just like he did a few days ago when he first met Dara there. He still thinks that the place is as romantic as it had been from the last time.

"I just thought that the atmosphere of this café is a little off today and you gave me a whole litany on love." Luhan looks at Dara in embarrassment and finds her looking at him intently. She is not smiling but just looking at him.

"Ah! Isn't that Luhan oppa?" A girl, still in her school uniform, prods her companion and points at them. "Daebak! He's with a girl. Take a picture, hurry!"

"Noona, I'm sorry but we have to leave now." Luhan helps Dara up and they exit the café just as a couple more of café's customers recognize them.

 

 

They are inside Dara's car, Luhan in the driver's seat. She leans her head back and takes a deep breath.

"I only wanted to enjoy this beautiful spring day." Dara pouts.

"Let's go to a less crowded place then noona." Luhan suggests. He doesn't want their day to end just yet.

"Where to?" Dara sits upright.

"There is this shop in Buamdong that I frequent. I know the owner so we can request for some privacy if we want to." Luhan starts the car.

"You really are mature aren't you. First, you talk to me about the gravity of love. Now, you want to go to a mature place. Aren't we moving a little too fast." Dara teases him.

Luhan looks unperturbed. "I'm already 24 years old noona. I'm no longer a kid, I am a man now." he winks at Dara.

"Yah! You ert!" Dara slaps him on the shoulder laughing.

"Noona, all I meant was, I am no longer a kid that is why my perspective on some subjects are more mature now. You're the ert for assuming that I'm a ert." He jokes back laughing at how she blushes. "You look like a tomato right now. A really cute tomato."

Dara glares at him. "A really cute tomato with horns." He adds.

 

(I don't really know much about love but an excerpt from another Pablo Neruda poem has helped me in making this chapter.

Sonnet XVII

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you simply, without problems or pride:
I love you in this way because I don't know any other way of loving
but this, in which there is no I or you,
so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close. 

 

The excerpt in bold letters are from John Greenleaf  Whittier's "Maud Muller"
😘)