Numbness

Nothing Out of the Ordinary

Minho felt numb. He didn't feel Jinki's grip on his wrist leading him out of the hospital and to their car. He didn't realize they were driving home until the man pulled him out of the car, and even then he just numbly shuffled into their apartment. He faintly heard Jinki's voice, asking if he was okay and if he needed anything, but then again maybe he was just imagining it. He barely had the thought to remember to take off his shoes before climbing into the bed and staring blankly out the window as he pulled the covers around him.


He couldn't be pregnant. 


This wasn't happening. 


He wasn't some freak of nature. 


The Doctor was wrong.  


Then why did he feel deep within him that he wasn't?


Jinki chewed on his lip and leaned against the door frame. He knew he needed to do something, but he didn't know what. Minho was in shock, that much was evident, and he knew that he needed to be there for him, but how? The younger man just learned he had a chromosomal abnormality that allowed for him to get pregnant, something very few men find out they have at the same time he found about that he broke another statistic by getting pregnant. 


Minho was a simple man. He liked pudding and cuddles on the couch, warm bubble baths while getting his hair washed for him. He liked Disney movies and writing in the afternoons while he waited for Jinki to come home. This wasn't simple. This wasn't normal and mundane that was Minho through and through. Minho liked simple things, and being a 26 year old male teacher and finding out he was pregnant was not a simple thing.


When his attempt to get the man to talk failed Jinki just gently kissed his temple and told him he would be in the living room if he needed him. When dinner rolled around he went to call for the younger man, but Minho didn't even blink at him. Jinki couldn't force him to eat, and he did have a huge lunch, so missing one meal wouldn't hurt. He ate dinner by himself, watched a little tv before climbing into bed. He moved to wrap his arm around Minho like normal but the man just scooted further toward the edge of the bed and Jinki lost the heart to hold him.


"I love you Minho. Goodnight." He said softly, and when Minho didn't say it back he turned over and squeezed his eyes shut. He didn't know what they were going to do or what was in store for them in the near future, but he did know they would have to go through it together.

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                               -------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minho didn't move out of the bed for days it seemed. Jinki knew he got up to go to the bathroom, but the man was always back in his bed the moment he was finished. It was beginning to worry him because he didn't eat. The food brought to him would stay untouched on it's tray; the younger man moving it around enough to make it seem like at least a little was eaten, and Jinki would have to come in after the man was asleep to take the tray from the bedside table. 


Winter break was soon coming to an end, and that Tuesday morning he was due back into work Minho didn't even move. Jinki bit his lip and tossed the covers off of his legs before walking around and kneeling in front of the man. He reached for the hand that was out of the covers and was surprised when Minho allowed him to. The younger man slowly looked at him, his eyes soft but distant.


"Minho do you want to go to work today?" Jinki asked softly. "You don't have to go if you don't feel like it. I can go call in sick for you." Minho blinked slowly and nodded his head. Jinki gave him a soft smile and squeezed his hand. "Okay. I'll go run the shower for you okay? And then go make you something to eat." 


He kissed the man's cheek before walking into the bathroom and turning on the water. When he returned Minho was sitting on the edge of the bed, his feet swinging a little off the floor. He looked up for a moment before sighing and pushing up off the bed. He didn't even look at Jinki when he passed him to enter the bathroom. The door that was usually left open was softly shut behind him, but to Jinki it felt like a punch to the gut. 


He swallowed slowly, slipped on his slippers and pulled the robe Minho got him for Christmas that year on. He had no idea if Minho would eat, and if he did what, but he figured fruit couldn't hurt. The younger man always loved fruit in the morning, even back when he was puking almost every morning. Which he still did, but Jinki had given up trying to go and help him after he had been slapped for trying the first couple times.


Minho came shuffling in 30 minutes later; long hair wet and dripping on his shoulders, a towel over his arm and his tie no where near being tied correctly. Jinki rushed to tie it, like he always does in the morning, but stopped before his fingers grasped the smooth fabric. Minho looked at him with apologetic eyes and mumbled. "Please do it Jinki."


Jinki smiled softly and finished tying the fabric, and frowned at how wet his hair was getting his shirt. He took the towel that was haphazardly tossed over the man's arm and pushed him toward a stool. He pulled the plate of cut fruit over, and frowned when Minho made a face at it. "If not for you or the baby do it for me. You need to eat and I hate it when you aren't well."


Minho softly grunted and picked up a strawberry, and that was perfect to Jinki. He gently dried the man's hair with the towel, making sure to get the ends, before laying the towel on the counter and checking his watch. "You have to get going. Make sure to eat at lunch. I have something being delivered for you okay?" 


"You don't have to." Minho mumbled as he stood up from the stool and was handed his coat.


"I know, but I want to." He softly kissed his cheek and smiled. "I love you Baby."


And for once in the last 4 days Minho finally smiled, even if it was only a little one. It counted. "Love you too Jinki." 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                        ------ 

 

 

 

 

 

All day at work Jinki's mind was on the other man. Was he okay? Had he eaten the lunch that was sent to him? Did he feel okay? It took almost everything in him not to just leave work and go and check for himself. He did text the man whenever he got the chance to and his heart would beat a little louder until his phone pinged and he received a message back; always saying he was fine and that he loved him. 


When he returned home Minho was laying on the couch with a movie on the tv and his bag from school lain by the door. At least he wasn't locked up in their bedroom. Minho looked over at him as the door clicked close, and he flashed a smile over at him. The younger man held out his hand, and Jinki walked over to him like he was pulled with a rope. Minho sat up and gently pulled him into a hug. He didn't know what made the change happen in the younger man but he was all for it as he wrapped his arms around him and allowed the man to nuzzle his head into his chest.


Minho didn't have to say the words, because Jinki knew what he wanted to say the moment he was pulled in so tightly. The older man just gently kissed his forehead and held onto him as the laid down on the couch to finish watching the movie. 


At least at dinner he did eat a fairly regular portion of rice. It wasn't a proper meal, but it was something.


    

 

 

 


                                                                                                    ------

 

 

 

 

 


Minho pressed his palms against his temples. His head was pounding, and his class wasn't helping. It was just the second day back from break, and he couldn't expect them to be quiet. He heard a gently call of his name and he gazed up to see Taemin standing before him.


"Mr. Choi are you okay?" He asked softly.


He forced a smile on his face and pushed the strands of hair that had fallen from his pony tail back. "It's just a little headache. Do you want to help me pass back your projects Taemin?"


Taemin smiled. "Okay."


The boy turned and walked over to the wall where the projects were stacked neatly in the box, thanks to Jinki that morning. Minho pushed up from his seat, bracing himself as a round of dizziness rolled through him. He in a deap breath before walking to grab a couple projects. He smiled at Taemin, who was still looking at him with concerned eyes, and moved to pass out the projects.


It was the second round of books that the dizziness became worse. He paused, causing the girl he was standing before ask him if he was okay. He waved his hand and moved to finish the stack he had. As he was walking back through the aisle toward his desk and the box he stumbled.


Taemin was the first to notice the man collapsing, and saw it when his teacher smacked his head on the edge of his desk. "Mr. Choi?!"


When he didn't move the class began to notice. Taemin knelt to see, but his teacher's eyes were closed, and then he saw the blood. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                 ---------

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki was in the middle of making sure a new big account was all clear when his phone rang. The only two people who would really need to call him on his personal phone would be Jonghyun and Minho, and Jonghyun was just down the hall being a complete pain in his . He quickly pulled the phone out and slid his finger over it before putting it up to his ear. "Hello?"


"Uh.... Jinki?" 


"Taemin why do you have Minho's phone?"


He heard the rushed breath, and the shakiness of his voice. "I didn't know what to do, and neither did the rest of us... but we called the office and an ambulance came and-"


"Wait what? Slow down Taemin. Take a deep breath okay? Why did you need an ambulance?"


"Minho collapsed sir. He was giving us back our projects and he just fell." 


Jinki tried to remain calm, because he knew Taemin didn't need the extra anxiety. "So you called the office, and an Ambulance came right?"


"Yea... and they came and checked him and took him away to the hospital, but they left his phone here in the desk... you know the top drawer and I didn't know if they would call you, so I just really thought you would like to know." 


Jinki was already grabbing his keys and heading to the door, "Thank you Taemin. Just... was he awake when they took him away?"


"I.. I don't remember."

 
"Try really hard for me okay? Were his eyes open when they took him away Taemin?"


After a moment, "Yes... they were open, but he wasn't able to say anything."


"Alright... and did you happen to hear what hospital they were taking him to?"


"South I believe... but I may have heard wrong."


"No that's perfect. Thank you Taemin for calling me. Just keep the phone with you okay?"


The young boy agreed and the phone call was ended right when Jinki was stepping off the elevator. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                        ---------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki arrived to Minho's room right as nurses were finishing changing his IV. The lady at the front desk told him that the younger man had been brought into the emergency room maybe an hour ago and that they were just about to call his emergency contact. Jinki told them no need because he was already here. He then was told the number of his room and he was rushing toward the elevator before the woman was finished telling him directions. He'd find his way there somehow.

 

Approaching the bed he felt his emotions finally crashing in on his shoulders. Minho looked so small it seemed surrounded by all the white of the bed. There was a bandage on the man's forehead and Jinki guessed it was from his fall in his classroom. He quietly pulled the chair by the wall closer to the bed and reached for his hand. His fingers were so cold, nothing like the warmth the man always gave off. He gently kissed Minho's forehead before taking a seat. He didn't know why the man fainted but he had his guesses. 


5 minutes later he heard the man groaning, and he looked up with wide eyes as the other man's fluttered. When Minho opened his eyes he was groggy and no where near able to form a decent sentence, but Jinki still stood up and kissed his temple to tell him that he was there. Minho seemed to know because he calmed down enough to fall asleep once again.


The next time he woke up Jinki wasn't in the room. He had gone to get himself a drink and a snack from the vending machine to come back to a nurse and Dr. Kim checking up on his boyfriend. He heard Minho's soft voice, answering the questions asked to him, and he quietly moved closer. The other man's eyes lit up slightly at the sight of him, and he flashed a small warm smile. 


The nurse left to go get something as Jinki sat down and reached for Minho's hand after laying his can of orange soda on the table. 


Dr. Kim finished, and looked over at them both before focusing on Jinki. "Did you know Mr. Choi here hasn't eaten a full meal in multiple days?"


"He told me he ate the lunch I sent to him yesterday." Jinki looked over at Minho slowly to receive a small apologetic smile.


"It's why he fainted. His body didn't have the energy to keep moving, and with his condition it was even further increased."

 

Maybe the foggiest was finally fully receding, or maybe it was because Jinki had come back, but something clicked in Minho's mind as he looked up at Dr. Kim.


"The baby... is it okay?" Jinki hadn't expected to hear the panic that was in the man's voice. For the last 5 days it seemed as if the man didn't want to have the baby, that or he didn't even believe he was pregnant still. 


Panic seized his own heart as he looked up at the Doctor, but the man only smiled warmly. "Your Baby is just fine. Just make sure to eat more and take care of yourself. He'll need it." He squeezed Minho's shoulder before flipping the papers on his clipboard. "I'll be back in an hour to check on you and to do an ultrasound. While your here I might as well tell you just how far along you are. You should be able to go home tomorrow morning. I just want to make sure everything is okay."


Once the man left Jinki felt his hand being squeezed. He looked up to see Minho looking at him, eyes glossy as the tears threatened to fall. "Come lay with me?"


Jinki just smiled and climbed in next to him, allowing Minho to lean into his chest and lay his head on his shoulder. He heard the man sniffle and frowned, "What's the matter Baby?"


"I'm sorry." He said softly. "I... I almost lost the baby because I was being stupid."


"You were just in shock. It's understandable."


Minho gently shook his head and his fingers gripped Jinki's dress shirt. "I was so scared.. that I had lost him."
 

"Shh." Jinki wiped the freshly fallen tears. "Do you want this baby Minho?"


"For.. for awhile I didn't know what I wanted. I felt like a freak Jinki... but I know now that this baby is ours. I'm a not freak and neither is this baby." Minho moved his hand over his stomach and spread his fingers as he softly laid in against it. "I'm sorry for the last couple days. This effects you to, and I didn't even think to be there for you. I don't want to lose....I love our Baby."


Jinki smiled, ignoring his own silent tears that were falling, and kissed his boyfriends temple as he placed his hand on top of the other man's. "I love you both."

 

 

 


                                                                                                                          -------- 

 

 

 


With his foot on the break he looked over at the younger man. The corners of his mouth turned up as he noticed how the man had dropped a couple papers onto the floor by his feet. "Hey Beautiful, you dropped something." 


Minho looked up from the numerous papers they were given by Dr. Kim, big eyes wide. "Huh?" 


Jinki checked the light, and after deeming it a long enough period of time, he leaned over and reached for the papers. He placed them in the other man's lap with a smile. "You dropped your prescriptions. We'll need these you silly noodle."


Minho just stuck his tongue out, and it warmed Jinki's heart to have his Minho back. "Speaking of which we need to drop it off before we do anything else."  


Jinki hummed right as the light turned green and he gently pressed on the gas. Underneath all of the papers Minho's hand pulls the older one's into his grasp, and now that he's happy he hums along to some unknown melody. "What do the papers say?"


Minho perked up at the question, "Well things such as birthing options, though those are kind of limited seeing as we only have one choice. Uh, types of things that are usually expected such as mood swings and food cravings, also saying uh what exactly we can do ually."


"It explains that?"


"Well yeah. Apparently I'm going to be... really ?" Minho said quietly as he ducked his head and tried not to notice the smirk on the older man's face.


"Oh really? What else does it say?"


Minho reached over and smacked the man's thigh. "Jinki!"


"What? I just really want to know what to expect Baby." 


Minho glared at his profile but sighed, " Basically my ual urges and needs are going to increase. It's normal in pregnancies, and Dr. Kim believes it should be something that correlates from normal pregancies and mine. Though it says we can't have actual ... like uh you know... because of the high risk that I am."


"So basically I'm going to have to remind you how good I am at giving s."


"Jinki!"

 

 


                                        

                                                                                                                  -------