I-ey-K

Shades of Warmth

 

Sojung used to wander around aimlessly in the bookstore but recently she found herself having a great interest in the poetry section of the store.

Sojung liked it there. She wondered why she had never tried to read poems before. Sojung found it both fascinated, yet strange at the same time how poems are able to say so much in so little words.

It just so strangely beautiful.

"There you are," a voice that she recognized called her from a good distance. "I was wondering where you went."

Sojung grinned and put her poems book just enough so she could see him. He smiled in return.

He settled down in his usual seat. Sojung continued on reading her poems, "Partly Cloudy," was the title.

A few consumer came in and out. Other than that they were basically alone in the store.

No one was at the cashier counter and no one was wearing the employee uniform. Base on his observation, Sojung was helping out her friend again.

Kai walked around the store where a couple was having a small disagreement.

“Go to the poem girl, she knows the store much better than I,” Kai pointed the young consumer at Sojung’s with her poems book in her hand.

"Um," Sojung smiled friendly, "do you need some help?"

The couple turned their heads at the direction of her voice.

Somehow Sojung managed to find the book they were looking for. She lead them to the cashier counter and typed them a receipt.

"That would be 9,000 won please," Sojung chirped as she offered them their receipt and the book. The girlfriend reached out for the book and gave gave Sojung and even 10,000 bill. Opening the cashing machine Sojung took out a dollar bill and handed to them.

"Please have a nice day," Sojung bowed slightly.

The couple smiled back, "thank you. You too."

His eyes declined and landed on his black and white textbook. Sojung eyes however remained fixed at his face. She wondered what he had to say but didn't.  

The young girl nodded and smiled as if showing her appreciation for his help. She walked toward Sojung, who smiled and was more than glad to help her look for her books.

 

After the girl left with several books in her hands, Sojung sat down in front of Kai.

She made a face. Her eyebrows became wobbly and her lips pouted, “the poem girl?”

“Huh?” Kai asked pretended he didn’t hear what she said.

“You told her go to the poem girl,” Sojung explained as clearly as she could. “That’s me, the poem girl!”

“Um~,” Kai gave a small shrug. “I always see you having a poems book in front of your face, so I decided to call you the poem girl.”

“So you nicknamed me the poem girl?” Sojung asked raising an eyebrow. Her eyes were full of beautiful shades of brown.

If Kai didn’t know before, he could’ve gotten lost in those bambi eyes.

Kai blinked, “Why? You don’t like it?”

“I would prefer you call me by my name,” Sojung replied.

Name.

Her heart sank.

She and the stranger never exchanged each other name.   

As far as what people regarded, they were just two strangers who happened to meet three times at the same place.

"My name," Sojung began.

His head immediately jerked up and the pen in his hand stopped writing completely.

"My name is Jung Sojung, when you say it backward it is Jung Sojung, when you say it forward it is Jung Sojung. Jung Sojung. Jung Sojung!" She smiled.

He smirked, finding her introduction amusing.

"My name is Jongin, but I go by Kai." Kai introduced himself.

"I guess if you say my name backward it sounds something like I-ey-K," he tried to enunciate.

Sojung busted in a heartfelt laugh. He didn't even know that he could make a joke until he heard her laugh.

Kai started laughing too. He just had to admit his joke was sort of funny.

And when their laugh came to a full stop, a genuine smile showed on both of their faces, due to knowing that they were no longer considered as two strangers.

Now they were friends.

Just friend.

No more.

No less.