Judging the book by its cover

Shades of Warmth

 

A month now.
It had been a month now, Sojung was giving up of ever seeing Kai step in this very bookstore ever again. 
Sojung closed her eyes and proceed with spreading her hands wide openly to her sides. Slowly and slowly she raised upward, just millimeters per second. 
Inhaling the new and old books smell.
Inhaling the fictional pages, the fantasy, all the romance and the lies.
Inhaling the nonfictional pages, the wars, the past, the history and yet the truths.
They said writers are the most sympathetic people in the world. They write from sympathy, not from experience. 
Sojung started wondering just how much they said are the truth. 
She felt so crestfallen.
Sojung smiled blindly. She took a step, then another step forward. She liked the plastic feel cover of one book. She liked the rough and 3-D bolded title of another book. 
She was looking for no specific genre to read in particular. She was, instead feeling the books. She wanted to pick out a book with an opened heart, not two opened eyes. 
It had been her philosophy for such a long time. And just like every other philosophy, it deserved criticism. 
The texture of the books feel nice against her fingertips. 
She got a strange, yet pleasant nolgastic feelings. It liked everything happened before. And she was experiencing everything again. 
It was something like deja vu. 
Sojung bumped into someone. She was awared of that. 
To feel surprised wasn’t the right word to describe her feelings.
Sad and sullen wasn’t it either. 
Glad.
Mixed with apologetic was almost it. But It was good enough. Sojung felt glad, her corner appeared a small subtle smile.   


“It’s not nice to judge a book by it cover you know?” the blonde gentleman spoke up. The voice that she hadn’t heard for quite a while. The voice that she realized how much she loved listening to. The person that the voice belonged to always talk in a small library voice with her. 
She had already knew who the voice belonged to before even slowly opened up her eyes.
“I don’t judge books by their covers,” Sojung retorted. 
“Judging a book using one of the five sense is the same thing,” Kai told her. It sounded like he was lecturing her almost. “I see no difference.” 


Sojung wanted to breath. But she forgot how to.
Sojung wanted to smile so badly. But she felt more ashamed than happy.
Sojung wanted to look into his eyes. 
But she was scared.
Her eyes wandered on the random books’ titles on the shelfs.  
For a really long moment they stood in silence and contemplation.
It was Sojung who saved the courage to speak up first. “What do you want?” she asked uncertainly. Anyone could sense from her to tone that Sojung was more worried and afraid than annoyed of Kai's sudden appearance. 

“Two things,” Kai replied as he purposedly took his time stepping closer and closer to her. Then he blinked prettily. He had a playful smile, or was it a smirk displaying on his face? Sojung couldn’t really tell.
Sojung couldn't only tell it was a request or a threat. To her surprised, Sojung nodded agreeingly.
Kai face grew serious in a split second. “About my colorblindness,” Kai began slowly, yet in a very articulate manner he continued after a pause, “promise me you won’t tell anyone about my colorblindness.”

Was that the only reason why he looked for her? The subject really concerned him. Sojung although remained silent, she could guess that he hadn’t tell anyone about it. He wanted it to become a secret. And maybe a secret forever. Why though?
Kai was an artist. One day no matter how hard he tried to hide it, the fact that he was colorblind would come out.
Kai was just trying to hold on to his secret as long as he could.
Sojung understood. She had secret of herself too. Secrets that she wanted to remain forever within her heart. 
Sojung nodded knowingly, “I promise. Your secret is safe with me.” 
Kai looked relieved.


Second later Sojung asked cautiously, “-So what is your second request?”
“Why were you crying?” Kai asked, “could you tell me why you were crying that day I called you?”
Kai could tell the tears was forming on the edges of her eyes, threatened to fall.
Despite her attempt to hold it back. Tears spilled.
Kai only gave her one option.
Kai why do you even care?
Tempting, her chin raised centimeter by centimeter before she realized it, Sojung had dared to look into his eyes. 
Somewhere in his eyes they seemed to say ‘why not?’


“Why do you care?” Sojung asked brokenly.


Kai eyes remained unblinked when he decided to speak in a heart beat, “Because I like you,” Kai answered in a his not in a library voice.  

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

A/N: Haha!!! Kai is finally back. How do you feel about this chapter?