Injured Stranger

Shades of Warmth

"Sojung?" the voice sounded pleaded, but still was sweetest as always.

"Yes D.O," Sojung answered her phone.

"I was wondering~," D.O began slowly. Sojung had a pretty good feeling what he wanted her to do. "...3:00 to 6:00."

"Uh huh," Sojung told him, "I'll be there in 30 minutes. See you then." Sojung hang up her cellphone and proceeded out of her evening class.

Just like she had promised, She walked there to the bookstore just before D.O had to leave.  

Seeing Sojung walking into that entry D.O could help but felt like a thousand pounds had lifted above his shoulders. He sighed in relief.

"Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me," D.O began and showing her great gratitude in his eyes. His spirit literally lit up. The smile on his face never fade, "I'll make it up to you somehow. I promised."

"It's okay, you going to be late," Sojung encouraged him and pushed him from behind.

"Okay, Okay. Thanks again," He waved goodbye at her. She threw him the coat on the leader chair behind the counter and he catched it with his waving hand. His eyes widen, impressed that he had such a quick reflex.

"Did you see that?" D.O questioned her in amazement.

Sojung chuckled and rolled her eyes, she reminded him "If you don't hurry I think you really gonna be late."

"I know. I know." He rushed out the door while putting on his coat.

 

After careful thoughts of choosing the table closest to the cashier counter and the entrance, Sojung sank into the chair and started to get her homework out.

She just got out her pen and jogged down a few notes when a familiar wind whistled sounded announce at the entry door.

Without looking up from her notebook she muttered, "Did you forgot something again D.O oppa?"

She waited.

No reply.

"Uh," the voiced uttered awkwardly, "I'm-"

Sojung realized that the voice didn't belong to D.O.

Sojung turned her head around and saw him with a painted confusing look on his face.

He was the guy that asked her what her eyes color were the other day.

And she had been secretly hoping that she would have a chance to meet him again.

A content smile grinned in the corner of and thoughts started to bombard at her. She wanted to ask him a lot of questions but at the same time from studying his face it seemed like he also have a few things to say as well.

"I'm sorry," he began and with a slight paused he explained, "I was wondering if it is okay if I can study in here?"

Again with a nod she smiled. She was pretty sure that was allowed. She brought her attention back to her textbook, she should've offered him to sit next to her. She should have. She still wanted to. And she knew it was not too late for asking him if he might want to sit next to her, so they could be friend.

But now in the time being they were just two strangers who just happened to encounter at the same place twice.

And she remembered what Jessica and Kris had always said about strangers. 'Sojung-ah, you shouldn't talk to strangers, they are very dangerous,' they lectured on and on. But that wasn't how it actually went, in Sojung perspective it went a little more like this, "Sojung-ah, you shouldn't,' Jessica wiggled her index finger in front of the younger one face and Sojung couldn't help but followed it closely left to right, then right to left,

'talk to strangers' Jessica said and Sojung was falling into the state that she heard but she couldn't listen, 'they're very injured.'

 

She blinked and zoomed back into reality.

 

"Excuse me?" Sojung said apologetically. The gentleman looked up from his notebook and caught again in contact with her eyes. The gentleman nodded looking forward to what she had to say. "You wouldn't happen to be a math genius are you?" Sojung asked with a small hopeful voice.

"Not really," the same blonde gentleman answered in his usual library voice. He paused and for some strange reasons he was tempted. "But I can try," he added some seconds later.

Sojung put her best effort to not look like she was so delighted by his permission but he saw it through her brown eyes. They were sparkling like fireworks and never seemed to fade.

Sojung brought her backpack and her textbooks, notebooks as well as her pen over to her new seat opposite from him.

Making herself comfortably in her seat she flipped the the page that she was studying before and began to ask questions, one after another. "How do you find X when Y is ..."

"So you already know that X and Y is in some relationship, and they directly correlate in one way or another... inversely means if one goes up the other value would go down ..."

Sojung learned that he his 'not really a genious' was an understatement. He was very knowledgeable in the subject.

She nodded as he explained the question to her. "Zoom out at the picture" he told her, "I think one of your problems is that you tend to study things too closely. Zoom out more," he repeated his point, "look at the big picture, its really helpful."

Sojung nodded and nodded. Her hand busied jogging notes as he spoke.

 

Two hours went passed like an blink of an eyes and the next time they turned to look through the window glassed they both equally stunned at how dark it had gotten.

Sojung stretch her hands and when she stood up she accidentally caused her back cracked. She yawned.

She checked her phone and noticed she got 1 message from D.O.

'Sorry, I can't make it back to the store. Can you close up the store for me?

You're the best.

I'll treat you out. I promise.'

Sojung smiled to herself, she always found it amusing how he had a habit of texting complete sentences. Its just rare.

"What time does the store closes anyway?" Kai asked as he was packing his stuffs.

"30 minutes ago," Sojung answered and made her way behind the cashier counter.

"I don't think you can to go back there," Kai stuttered, pointing at the yellow sign he asked, "isn't it employee only?"

Sojung grabbed the keys out of the drawer, she turned off the lights and lead both of them out of the store. Kai got some ideas that this was not her first time closing the store.

"I thought you said that you don't work here," Kai recalled.

"I don't," Sojung locked the door with her key and stored the keys chain in her backpack. "My friend work here. Something came up and I agreed to help him since I was going to be here anyway."

"Which way are you going?" Sojung asked.

He only pointed the direction of sunset and she nodded.

"Oh," Sojung breathed. "Bye."

"Bye," said the gentleman.

 

Walking a block with nothing in particular on her mind, Sojung suddenly realized something very important that it had make her winced.

Sojung realized that she forgot something.

And

Sojung remembered what it was.

Sojung forgot to tell him that her eyes were dark brown just like what Kris told her.