It Takes Time

Shades of Warmth

Three long weeks passed since her last conversation with Kai regarding their majors. Then was spring, now it was late spring. Flowers were still blooming, but they were just late bloomers. They were much less colorful and less radiating than before.

It almost seemed like the flowers were fading along with the disappearant of Kai in Sojung's life.   

Kris and Sojung remained in the buffer zone. Meanwhile, Kai was no where in sight.

Sojung recalled that Kai said that he go to the same university as her. Maybe her memory betrayed her, maybe Kai never said such thing. Maybe it was her that wanted Kai to attend the same university as her. And perhaps that was why she turned her assumption to a quote that Kai said. In fact he never did.

There were two equally prestigious university that located near the bookstore, where they used to meet after and sometimes.

If Kai did not attend her university, he must have gone to the other.

 

That day was on a vaguely scattered cloudy, but windy day that she keenly observed.

Sojung discovered Kai was attending the same school as her.

The wind came from somewhere she knew not. All she knew was it got a potent. It was so powerful and influential that it rendered the tender, inches tall grass swayed across the open field.

That was the moment Sojung turned the corner of the building and she recognized him unmistakingly.

He was still had his hair dyed blond. Kai was hanging in his group of friends or at least killing some time before his next class start.  

They passed each other just like any two strangers would pass down the street. Sojung eyes stayed fixed, staring blankly at nothing but open air. Her foot came to a full stopped, whilst he moved on.

She was ignored.

Kai passed her without a simple gesture of acknowledgement. On the other hand, why would he acknowledge her, after all, she had done him wrong.

She was disappointed, but she didn’t expect much.

Sojung heard his laugh. It was just a faint one, and it was lost in the wind momentarily after.

Sojung folded her half-raised hand, which second before was meant as a greeting and letting the force of gravity returned it flatly down by her side. Sojung blinked.

Seconds later, she decided to be early for her next class, be extra early for her next class.

 

“You look bad,” D.O commented while he settled right next to her.

As usually no customer on Monday at the small bookstore.

Sojung raised an eyebrow. She said nothing and returned her attention to her book, pretending to read. Her mind was all over the place.

“Wanna talk about it?” D.O offered gently and he leaned over the table.

Her eyes said no. Although D.O never really understand girls, he knew for a fact that girls are opposite. What they say is never really what they mean. Not to mention what they feel.

Girls nevertheless are complicated.

But Sojung was Sojung. Saying her name backward was the same thing as saying it forward. Jung Sojung was Jung Sojung.

Jung Sojung was different from other girls. D.O knew this much.

Jung Sojung was transparent.

She meant the things that she said.

She also meant the things that she hadn’t say.

D.O read her sign. She didn’t want to talk about it.

But his mother never had praised her son for being obedient.

D.O remarked cautiously, “Is it about Kris?”

Her silence said it all.

It was such a rhetorical question. D.O didn’t have to ask to confirm.

“You have fallen deeper than you should have.”

Sympathetic expressions displayed in his face. D.O had been there.

More than friends, but less than a couple.

Almost love.

One-sided love, unrequited love.

Forbidden love.

D.O had experienced them all.

Sojung voice was broken when she decided to talk, “How did you get over it?”

D.O found himself stutter for the first time, “huh?”

“How did you get over it?” Sojung questioned weakly, and her question was the same.

D.O had a puzzled look on his face. “I’m not completely following you.”

“For loving someone you were not supposed too- how did you get over it?”  

A small sympathetically smile displayed in the corner of his lips. It was the same smile as before. He understood her. They had a long history together. Although he understood her well, he rarely expressed his fondness toward her.

Sojung was the only one who saw his weakness and loved him for who he was.

The only reason why D.O chose to attend the same university as her was because he owned her.

Sojung didn’t see it that way. D.O didn’t let her see it that way so he never hinted any regarding it.

He waited by her for a chance.

And he now could begin paying her back.

“Sojung?” D.O spoke up firmly.

“Umh?”

“I wouldn’t say that I got over it...rather I’m getting over it.”

“It takes time,” D.O said after a long pause, “it takes time and distance.”

 

A moment later D.O smiled while opening his wallet. “Did I tell you that I got paid yesterday?”

There were many dollar signs reflecting in his eyes. He smiled again.

Was he trying to change the subject, because he was very bad at doing so.

“I’ll treat out today.”

Sojung beamed and her complexion returned. “Can I choose the place?”

D.O grinned, “Of course.”

“What are you doing?” D.O asked at Sojung who still had the book on her hand and was still reading.

Sojung eyes turned to him. He gestured her to get up and let go.

“Now?- but it’s hours until time to close the store,” she pouted innocently.

“Come on,” his voice was sweet and tempting. “You might not get another fine offer like this again.”

“You’re such a bad employee,” Sojung mumbled as she stood up and put on her shoulder bag. “Sometimes I wonder why the owners haven’t fire you yet.”

“Probably because I’m charming,” D.O exclaimed proudly. He flipped the close sign on the door and began locking the front door. “Customers like that.”

His comment made her laugh. He felt much better now that she laughed, even know it was just a little laughter.  

It was a good start.

 

 


A:N/  The mood of the story is changing brighter right? 

         First of all, we're almost halfway through the story. The story is getting a bit longer than I expected because I feel the need to write some romantic scenes since this is too gloomy. (Just one more chapter until the romantic stuff!!)

         Secondly, Next chapter will be about Jessica and Sojung relationship since I need to make it seems more clearly how long Kai disapperance out of Sojung's life is.

         Third, thanks to all my subscribers!!!!!!!!!  :)