Kai X You

Drabbles and Oneshots

Prompt: You are EXO's shy new choreographer and Kai catches you practing alone late at night

---

After Practice

“Alright, I think that’s enough for today. Great work everyone, go and rest up so we can finish this tomorrow!” You called out to the boys who, like you, were completely drenched in sweat and breathing heavily.

 Today had been rough, comeback season was always the hardest and this was when everyone had to give everything they have and then some. You pushed your sweaty bangs out of your face- you were definitely going to need a haircut soon. As you gulped down your water you watched the twelve young men trickle out of the room, with only the energy to tell you goodnight before they disappeared behind the thick wooden door. A twinge of guilt sat in the pit of your stomach as a slight frown pulled at your lips. Maybe you shouldn’t have been so hard on them tonight. But at the same time you wanted them to be as good as they could be, and that did require a bit of tough love on your end. They surely understood that.

“Goodnight Noona,” A voice called out. You felt your cheeks heat up and hoped that it would come across as exertion instead of your embarrassment over your blatant lack of communication skills with attractive young men. You glanced up to see Jongin waving goodbye with a tired smile gracing his face. As always, he was the last member to leave. You returned his smile and tucked a stray strand of hair behind your ear as you watched the door gently click shut. Finally, some alone time to practice.

Nearly five months ago you accepted the offer of a lifetime to come and teach choreography to groups over in South Korea. It hadn’t been in your original plan, but how could you turn down such a rare opportunity? It felt amazing to know that such a well-respected company wanted your choreography, wanted your talent and skill set for such popular musicians and dancer. So as much as it hurt to leave your family, friends and old life behind, you decided to pack up and pursue this new dream. Your mother had cried the entire way to the airport which made it all the more difficult to fight back your own tears of fear and uncertainty, but you knew this was something that you needed to do for yourself. By yourself. You knew you couldn’t continue to live as this shy, meek little girl anymore. It was time to prove to yourself that you could be strong and stand on your own, and this was the perfect opportunity to do just that.

For the most part you had blossomed into a mature and confident young woman in your opinion. There was no room to doubt yourself while teaching such famous and talented musicians. But when it came to your love life you were about as open as a turtle hiding in its shell from the massive, terrifying world outside. As much as you tried to change and be more outgoing, it was simply impossible for you to be the confident and strong young woman who taught choreography for SM Entertainment. Countless dates had ended horribly, conversations had died quickly and you resorted to pulling on your sleeves every five seconds and suddenly finding a very interesting spot on the ground next to your shoe to stare at.

Shrugging off the unpleasant memories of dates gone wrong you flipped through the songs on your playlist trying to find the right one to help you unwind the stress of the day. Although your muscles were screaming in protest to this last dance, you knew that your night would feel incomplete without it. You could soak in a hot shower once you get back home to your apartment anyways. Finally coming across the song you were searching for, you pressed play and immediately the smooth bass of the song began to filter through the speakers on the wall. This was one of your favorite routines, full of calculated but sensual movements. It was fluid and smooth and downright y, and it filled you with the confidence you partially lacked. For this short moment, you weren’t you. You became the song, became every breath and step of each beat until there was nothing but grace and drive and pure passion. Your limbs swayed to the rhythmic thrumming of the music as you mouthed the lyrics, your hair fanning around your face as you spun and rolled your body. This was who you were. Dancing filled the void in you to make you whole, to make you worth something in this world. It was everything.

Finally the song came to a gentle end and not once during the routine had you glanced in the mirror, but now you took your reflection in, shoulders rising with your heavy breathing and sweat beading down your neck to glide below the cloth of your tank top. Suddenly a movement out of the corner of your eye caught your attention and you locked eyes with Jongin. You let out a very girly squeak and quickly spun around while holding a hand against your mouth to find him bowing and spouting off apologies.

“Please forgive me, I forgot my bag and I was just coming back for it and I really am sorry, I swear I wasn’t watching you for a long time, not that you aren’t good because you really are, and….” He kept babbling but you couldn’t even focus on his words because you were mortified. It wasn’t like you weren’t used to being watched while you dance, because you absolutely were. You just felt inadequate when much better dancers watched you perform, and Kim Jongin was one of the best dancers that you had ever come across.  He was so graceful during every practice and his passion was evident in every move he took. You could see his love for dance playing off the tips of his fingers and in the arch of his back. Each move was calculated, perfected and beautiful, like every other part of him, you thought wistfully.

“Uh, did you hear a word of that, Noona?” Jongin’s voice snapped you back into reality, and you couldn’t find it in yourself to meet his eyes. Instead you focused in on your shoelace. You barely nodded your head as you felt your cheeks burning.

“Yeah, yeah it’s fine. Don’t worry about it.” Your heart was pounding in your ears, and as much as you tried to squish those butterflies in your tummy that aren’t supposed to be there because Kim Jongin is technically your student, you just couldn’t. He was wonderful in every way and you knew that any girl would be lucky to have him.

You watched as Jongin ran a hand through his hair. “You know you really are a great dancer, I see why they chose you to teach us,” he said to you while he walked over to the backpack he just forgot his first time out.

“Really, I’m not that great,” You said lamely, to which Jongin shook his head.

“Why would you be here if you weren’t?” He replied, his eyes boring into yours which had shot up at his last statement. You cheeks were flaming, this was going down in flames and you could feel it. You started to open your mouth to try to stutter out something, anything remotely coherent, but you were cut off. “You’re a great dancer, don’t doubt that.”

His praise sent a rush of emotions through you. It felt incredible that someone with such a positive reputation acknowledged you as talented. It also filled you with something that you weren’t quite accustomed to. Confidence.

“Well, I’m gone for good this time, I promise. Goodnight, Noona. See you tomorrow.”

You took in Jongins’ appearance.  Sweatpants slung low on narrow hips, tank top clinging to sweat slick skin and backpack hanging off one beautifully tanned shoulder as he reached for the door again. Something clicked in your mind and you chose to throw caution out the window before you could decide otherwise.

“Jongin-ah. would you like to get some coffee after practice tomorrow with me?” The words were out of your mouth before you lost the confidence to speak, and they came out surprisingly well. Much better than you had thought they would. And in that moment you couldn’t really bring yourself to care that you were his choreographer and that he was your student.

“Sure,” Jongin replied nearly immediately, looking back at you with the hint of a smile on his plush lips. The butterflies in your stomach fluttered even harder and you couldn’t hide the smile that spread across your face. You were sure your heart would beat out of your chest at any moment. Elation sang through your veins and you found the feeling addicting. Jongin sent you a tiny wave and opened the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Rest well tonight, Noona.” Jongin said, and then he was gone.

Something was different, and you had a feeling that this coffee date was actually going to turn out okay.