Tao x Kris

Drabbles and Oneshots

Prompt: Fluffy, adorable scene with Tao confessing to Kris.

A/N: Just to make something clear, I love Baekhyun. He holds a very dear place in my heart and the only reason I portrayed him the way I did is because he is a sassy little thing who loves to pick on Tao. He has a snarky mouth on him and I love it, so I swear I’m not trying to dis or give Baek a bad name, he was just the catalyst I needed to get things going.

---

Unrequited

He wasn’t really sure how it had happened. He had tried so so hard to keep his emotions in check and not let anything get out of hand, but somehow it had happened. He had allowed himself to fall, and fall hard. And it wasn’t like falling for someone was bad or anything, those fuzzy feelings were great and wonderful and awesome, but there was a catch. He had fallen for one of his closest friends, a bandmate at that. He fell for his leader, his duizhang. Tao had fallen for Kris, and he knew deep down he was completely and utterly ed because there was no way in hell Kris would ever return those feelings.

~

It had started innocently enough, they had bonded rather quickly after the group had been announced. Both being from China had given them a different connection from the rest, and though Yixing and Luhan knew the gut wrenching homesickness that tended to hit in the dark hours of the night all too well, Tao felt that Kris was the only one that truly got him. Kris was also the only member that really put up with all his whining and expensive habits, save for Joonmyeon, so perhaps that aided their blossoming friendship.

 

As much as he didn’t want to admit it, Kris definitely had a soft spot for the M maknae. He often times indulged in shopping trips with Tao, simply rolling his eyes and giving in when he would tug on his sleeve like a child and practically beg Kris to buy him a new jacket or pair of shoes. He would be there for Tao during his bright triumphs and dark, insecure moments. Kris was Tao’s rock, his closest friend, and somewhere along the way that line of friendship and brotherhood began to blur for Tao.

 

It was moments like this, just lounging in the dorms after a near eternity of hectic schedules full of appearances, fan signs and hours upon hours of rehearsals that Tao’s feeling’s hit him the hardest. These were the moments in which Kris was nobody but himself, not some act forced for the cameras, and it made Tao just want to soak it all in, from his languid posture on the couch to the sweats, tank top and beanie he was wearing today.

 

Just watching Kris made Tao’s heart begin to flutter, he wanted nothing more than to melt into his leaders arms and bask in the warmth and protection that was his duizhang. But he knew that was impossible. Kris didn’t feel that way about him. Hell, Tao wasn’t even sure if Kris was interested in men in the first place. It was a dangerous game he was playing, and Tao knew it. So he decided to do what he did best, admire from afar and let his feeling go unrequited. 

~

Tao had realized that his skinship was starting to become too much when Baekhyun blatantly pointed it out one night in the dorms.

 

“Why are you always hanging off Kris like a second skin? Hurry up and get a room,” He snickered, lightly elbowing Jongdae to join in on his cackling. Immediately Tao stiffened and pulled off of Kris as if he had been burned. After throwing back a snide retort about how Baekhyun is just as bad, if not worse, around Chanyeol, Tao barged off to his room and slammed the door.

 

“Stop being such a and antagonizing him all the time Baekhyun, don’t you have anything better to do?” Kris sent Baekhyun a dirty glare and trailed to Tao’s now shut door. He grabbed for the handle, but it was no use, Tao had it locked. Kris tapped his knuckles on the wooden surface of the door.

 

“Tao, let me in,” He said in his native tongue, and as always that did the trick. Tao came and unlocked the door and opened it just a bit. “Go away, Hyung,” he pouted, not even making eye contact, but as he went to shut the door again Kris slipped his foot through the crack in the door and forced it open. Kris darkened his gaze at the younger male, getting fed up quickly with how bratty he was acting. “What the hell is your problem, you know Baekhyun was just trying to get a rise out of you. And what, you’re going to give him the satisfaction?”

 

Tao turned and began to walk away from his leader, wanting nothing more than to crawl under his covers and avoid this confrontation. Before Tao could make it to his bed, Kris’ hand shot out and grabbed his wrist, halting his movement. “Hey, look at me when I’m talking to you. Seriously Tao, what the is your issue?”

 

“It’s you!” The words came out much harsher than he intended, and the surprised and hurt look etched on Kris’ face made Tao know that there was no going back after this.

 

“It’s you, Hyung. It always has been you,” Tao started softly, voice almost at a whisper as he stared a hole into the ground. “It’s how you are always there for me, always near me and always taking care of me. , Kris I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean for my feelings for you to get so out of hand, and I know you would never love me back and I’m just sorry!”

 

Tao’s chest was heaving, eyes still trained on the ground but now blinking rapidly, fighting off the sting of embarrassed tears. This was it, the end of his friendship. He knew that somehow he would blow it, now Kris would find him absolutely repulsive and disgusti-

 

“Hey now, don’t cry. Come here.” Kris pulled Tao to his chest and ran long fingers through his hair to try to sooth and comfort the maknae who was now sniffling into the soft fabric of his shirt. He walked Tao backwards until they could sit comfortably on his bed, and Kris laid back against the mattress, still holding Tao against him. Tao started to lift his head, “Duizhang, what are yo-“

 

“Hush,” Kris commanded as he pulled Tao back down. “I know, Tao. I always knew. Why do you think I ever put up with you in the first place if I didn’t love you too?” He pressed a gentle kiss to Tao’s temple, rubbing a soothing hand across his back. Tao could hardly believe his ears, had he head Kris correctly? Could it actually be true that for the first time in his life, his unrequited love had actually been…mutual? Tao raised his head to rest his pointy chin on Kris’ sternum and looked into his eyes, searching for a hidden joke in those brown orbs. He found none, only gentle sincerity, and only then did Tao allow a small smile to grace his lips.

 

Tao leaned up and brushed his nose lightly against Kris’, eyes fluttering closed and lips nearly touching. Finally, after so long he felt a completeness that warmed him to his soul, and just before he gently pressed his lips against his duizhang’s, he whispered the words he had been holding in for what seemed like an eternity.

 

“I love you.”