Eleventh Dose: Baby Steps

Two Opposite Poles

Kluang, Johor, Malaysia/Seoul, South Korea

 

“Hehe, I am deeply sorry, didn’t manage to peek on caller ID just now. And why are you calling me, out of the blue?”

 

Elyssa apologizes as she realizes her mistake. She smiles a little more when she heard soft chuckles from the other side.

 

“Well, you sound so happy. I guess something good happens lately hmm?” he asks her back.

 

He just arrives home from his schedule, Running Man. So he’s quite exhausted actually. But he can’t hold himself to call her and make sure she loves the gift once he receives message saying his gift has successfully arrives.

 

“Hey, you didn’t answer my question just now. Why did you call me?” Elyssa asks back with a smile. Well, she’s sure he couldn’t see it, she just wants to smile.

 

“Hmm, judging from your tone, I guess you loves the gift. Am I right?” He casually speaks. He walks towards his bed and lie down. He hugs his banana pillow, imagining it was her, the one he’s hugging.

 

“Of course I love it. It was the most beautiful necklace I ever seen.

 

……….

 

But, how do you know I just receive the gift?” Elyssa shoots back.

 

Khun just chuckles and giggles at the end of the line.

 

“How wouldn’t I know when I am the who send it, pabo. Anyway, I am glad you love it.”

 

“Hey, did you just call me stupid? How dare you. You are lucky you aren’t within my reach. Or else, you’ll be sorry. You’ll regret your existence.” She answers then, playfully. She picks the necklace and put it on her long neck.

 

She stares at her image on the mirror. It looks perfect there. Something she can wear even when she goes for works; perfect gift ever.

 

“Yeah, yeah as if you have the heart to do that to me. I am The Angel Khun remember? The whole world will hate you if you hurt me.” He answers with a laugh.

 

She just giggles and nods her head.

 

“Well, it definitely true though. I won’t deny it. In fact I will be hate if they know you call me at this late night. Don’t you think so?” She asks him, sitting at the edge of her bed.

 

“Hmmmm….. and you are saying?” Khun asks, unsure of what she’s trying to convey.

 

“I am very thankful you send such a beautiful gift, and it was not even my birthday. I am so grateful, really. I’ll remember you each time I see this. And I am flattered someone famous, like you have the thoughts to call me. But if your sesang fans know about this then I’ll be dead. And for your information, I would like to live a long life ahead.” She explains, as polite as possible.

 

“Hmm, who cares about those sesang fans?” he answers, with sulky voice.

 

He throws his banana pillow away, as a sign of resentment to the fact she utters just now.

 

“I don’t care about those sesang fans, I just wanna be with you. The one and only girl who make my heart beats faster, in a beautiful rhythm, the way I never imagine it can be before.” He thinks to himself.

 

“They are still your fans whether you like it or not. They are the one who support you all these while.” She tries to console him.

 

“Well, you also one of our fans, you also support us.” He shoots back.

 

“Yeah, but did you call each of your fans?” she tries to makes him understand.

 

Her fingers swirling her end of her long hair, a nervous movement that was actually her old habit.

 

“Well, not every of my fans are luckily also my friend. But you are my friend.”

 

This time he’s the one who tries to make her understand. That it is okay to receive gifts from him, to receive calls from him, even at late night.

 

Now he’s already sitting on his bed. Trying his best to convince her.

 

She can just sigh. Well, it is true enough. They are friends. And friends call each other. Have a conversation now and then. And unfortunately, he is one of the least person she comfortable to have conversation with.

 

……….

 

He can hear her sighing at the end of the line. And he’s desperately hoping her sigh is a sign that she will agree with him this time. It was hard to convince her.

 

……….

Another silence. He can’t hold it anymore.

 

“Hey girl, don’t be sad. But you must admit what I say is true right?” He breaks the silence that feels like eternity.

 

He ruffles his hair in despair. This is not he hopes for when he decides to call her.

 

“And I didn’t call you so that you can keep quiet at the end of the line. I call you to have a conversation. A real conversation, where I receive a reply after I done talking, you know.” He said, then.

 

“Yeah, I perfectly know what conversation means silly.” She answers with a giggles. Laying her body down on the soft mattress. It was so comforting. The mattress and somehow his voice, send a sort of comfort into her. And surprisingly she not hate it.

 

“And yes, I realize everything you said is the truth. It’s not fair to constrict to whom you can speak over the phone, and when should you call your friends. I am sorry.” She said then after her small laughs over.

 

Khun was giggling right now. Happy with the respond he receives. Well, at least she’s not pushing him out of her life, continuously. That was good enough.

 

And Elyssa thought his giggles were cute.

 

“You know what? Your giggles are too cute to be owned by a grown up man. You should be a baby; a baby with cute giggles. And adults will surround you and bites you.” She blurts her thoughts out loud.

 

“Auww… are you thinking to bite me now, baby?” he asks her then, with a low, deep, seductive almost whispering voice. He smiles to himself, feeling something he didn’t feel for so long already.

 

Elyssa just realize she has makes a mistake.

 

“Oh, I am sorry. That was one inappropriate comment. I am truly, deeply sorry. My mom is calling for me. I’ll hang up. Bye.” Elyssa ends the conversation in a rush.

 

She feels her cheeks hot. A darker shade of pink appears on both her cheeks. How can she blurts such a comment to a guy.

 

“Stupid, stupid, stupid.” She said slapping her forehead in the process.

 

***

 

“Damn, how can she with just a simple comment? I never knew you were so easy, junior. You naughty little thing.” Khun monologue with himself.

 

“And how should I deal with this? Aishh. I should take a cold shower.” Khun said as he stands up, grab his towel and walk to his bathroom.

 

His articles of clothes were off from his well built body, one by one in the process.

 

He steps under the cold water fountain. It feels good. Cold water on his hot burning body after a exhausting day.