Tenth Dose: Where's the Key to Your Heart?

Two Opposite Poles

Khunnie’s House, Bangkok, Thailand.

 

“Hey baby, why are you here?” Khun asks her with his sweetest face he can ever show. Tiffany smiles at his action. She fully aware this was all mere acting but she couldn’t help to wish he was really sincere calling her by that name, she really want to be his baby. To spices up their act and to make it look real she just approaches him with a beautiful smile and pecks him on the lips.

 

Khun’s family members all cheers at their sweetness without knowing anything. They just happy for him has found his soul mate. Khun blushes at Tiff’s spontaneous act. He grabs her hand and brings her inside. Tiff hugs his grandmother as soon they met. Khun’s grandmother smiles from one ear to another and Khun sees this. Guilt feeling started to rise in him. How would his granny react when she knew all of this just a mere acting, a part of promotion and marketing was a thing he don’t want to imagine. He refused to know, however the guilt keep finding its way to creep inside him. Making him very nervous and restless at how happy his granny was.

 

They having fun that day, chatting away, having meals together and play games. Khun almost forget his conversation with the girl he’s wooing right now. He almost abandoned her. ALMOST. And he really glad he wasn’t. Or else he would regret it for the rest of his existence.

 

To: My Girl

From: Khun

 

Sorry baby I am entertaining my unexpected guest just now. Are you still there?

 

Khun smiles at his message for his subject of admiration he manage to send while he excuse himself to washroom just now. Currently he’s waiting, patiently for her to reply. He already knows, he’s fully aware of her work field. She’s busier compared to them. She needs to be on her toes 24/7 or else, somebody else’s life is on the line. She needs to be dedicated to her work. This he can understand but he couldn’t help to be impatient while waiting for her reply; if she will ever reply at all.

 

That was what making this game so interesting to him. How she’s so mysterious, so attractive in her own way. He still didn’t get it, how she can be so confident yet so humble at the same time. She’s beautiful in her own way, she’s one of a kind and she’s the definition of a soul mate for Khun, a wife material, someone he wished he can spend the rest of his life with, and he definitely sure that his family would love her, more than they love Tiffany. Just like how he fell head over heel for her, his family would do the same.

 

He glad he found her. Just the problem now is how to grab her heart.

 

Vibration from his phone in his back pocket drag his out from his deep thought; scheming how to grab his soul mate heart. He’s back to reality and he can listen back to the conversation between his mother and Tiffany. And he shocked at the content of the conversation.

 

Guess what, they’re planning on their wedding day. He shrugged his body at the thought of marrying someone else, other than Elyssa. Even the mere thought of it makes him want to die.

 

“AAh, Woodong-ah, didn’t you want to go to the night market here in Bangkok?” Khun suddenly asks his mate desperately hoping the subject can be change. Every pair of eyes in the living room now was directed to Wooyoung, as if asking if it is true.

 

“Ah yes, thank you hyung for reminding me. I would like to buy some souvenir for my family.” Wooyoung said as it is really true he did want to look for souvenir to be brought home. He didn’t really realize the behind meaning of Khun’s doing as innocent he is.

 

Channie nudge his feet then when he saw sad looks in Tiffany’s eyes. He didn’t really understand why but something smells fishy. He started to suspects something is not right in his hyung’s relationship. He determined to find out why, and prevent it from getting worse.

 

Minjun on the other hand had some instinct about Khun’s relationship. As he may look innocent, he’s has been in this field long enough to understand a little bit their CEO’s mind. He did suspect something wrong in sudden announcement of Khun’s relationship. But he rather to keep it to himself and ignores it as long as he can.

 

The least you know, the safer you are in this kind of work. That is his principle and he tries his best to live on it. So he just displays his gummy smile looking at how determined Channie’s face looks right now. He made a mental note to advise him to stay away from others business, later.

 

Wooyoung just displays his blank face indicating he not understand a single thing as why Channie nudges him. So he just ignores the sign and stands up, heading to guest room; where 2PM going to sleep tonight, to get ready. He’s already excited at the thought of going shopping.

 

Junho then also heads to their room to get ready. As much as he notice something was quite not right, he just loves shopping. And he decides to forget everything else.

 

So they part to their respective room, getting ready to take a walk in the night market.

 

Khun went into his room, shut the door and locks it. He fishes out his phone from his pocket and read the message. Reply from her. The one he’s waiting for.

 

To: Khun

From: My Girl

 

You really need a good beating aren’t you? Aishh.. Should I report you to Tiffany?

 

Khun just smiles at her reply, she leisurely saying that, as if she and Tiffany were best friends.

 

To: My Girl

From: Khun

 

Yeah, right as if you have the media to do so.. mehhh rongggg

 

Khun types on his phone and sent the message. He then started to get ready; to accompany his dongsaeng later, walking at the night market. And he definitely will use the opportunity to find something, special for her.

 

***

 

His pair of brown eyes was wondering, looking for something simple yet beautiful to be given to her; something similar to her personality, something that represents her, something rare and unique just likes her.

 

Then suddenly he felt vibration from his back pocket, where he keeps his phone. He take it out and read the message.

 

To: Khun

From: My Girl

 

As if it is that hard to reach you all celebrities. J

 

To: My Girl

From:  Khun

 

Yeah, as if you dare :p

 

Khun’s smile gets bigger. He continues walking around looking for her gift when suddenly Tiffany came and give him a back hug.

 

He was startled at first but then he calms down after he recognizes that scent. Sweet rose scent. The one she always wears.

 

He just smiles and said, “Which one do you prefer? I’ll buy one for you.”

 

“Why don’t you pick one for me?” was her only short reply.

 

Khun just nods his head and hums. Thinking, which one suited her the most. He can pick from necklaces, bracelets and rings. There are different designs and colors. Then he casually grabs a necklace with a sun pendant.

 

“I think this one suited you the most. The sun.” he said with an honest smile spread across his face. He turns around and put the necklace on her.

 

“There. I think this looks superb on you,”

 

Tiffany looks at her own image in the mirror. The necklace does look pretty on her. Amazing even. Khun really has a good taste. Her beautiful smile was enough to thanks Khun.

 

“Yeah, yeah I know. Aren’t I the nicest person in the world?”  Khun walks toward the cashier to pay the price.

 

Tiffany was so happy with Khun’s gift for her and she goes to brag about her present to the others. They happily chit chatting and gossiping. They also resume their window shopping and also shopping buy some other things to be brought back to Korea.

 

Khun was deviating from others while they were busy shops around. He prays his hardest so that nobody noticed he went missing for a little while.

 

 

***

 

 

Johor Bharu, Malaysia.

 

She was driving her dazzling red Myvi heading to her hometown in Kluang when he replied to her message just now.

 

The message displays through the screen of her car, connected through bluetooth.

 

She just smiles reading the message.

 

To: Elyssa

From: Mr Celebrity

 

Sorry baby I am entertaining my unexpected guest just now. Are you still there?

 

“What is wrong with this person?” Elyssa thinks to herself. Even she herself can’t think of a reason why is he so obsessed over her. He has a superb girlfriend. A girl every man dreamed of. So, why is he behaving this way?

 

Of course Elyssa didn’t want to take this seriously. She always reply humorously.

 

But, too frequent jokes like this makes her uncomfortable. So, she replies the best way she know how.

 

To: Mr Celebrity

From: Elyssa

 

You really need a good beating aren’t you? Aishh.. Should I report you to Tiffany?

 

Elyssa laughs to herself, thinking what will be his response. She resume her driving, listening to the radio. Singing along to the songs plays on air.

 

Then suddenly her favorite song plays.

 

I can hold my breath

I can bite my tongue

I can stay awake for days

If that's what you want

Be your number one

I can fake a smile

I can force a laugh

I can dance and play the part

If that's what you ask

Give you all I am

I can do it I can do it I can do it

But I'm only human

And I bleed when I fall down

I'm only human

And I crash and I break down

Your words in my head, knives in my heart

You build me up and then I fall apart

I'm only human, yeah

I can turn it on

Be a good machine

I can hold the weight of worlds

If that's what you need

Be your everything

I can do it I can do it

I'll get through it

But I'm only human

And I bleed when I fall down

I'm only human

And I crash and I break down

Your words in my head, knives in my heart

You build me up and then I fall apart

I'm only human, yeah

I'm only human I'm only human

Just a little human I can take so much

Until I've had enough

‘Cause I'm only human

And I bleed when I fall down

I'm only human

 

As the song finished, she’s thinking to herself. Yes, she’s only human. It applies to everybody, so too high of expectations hurts. Then her thoughts wander to him.

 

“Why was he cried last time? What hurts him so much? That sad expression really didn’t suit his beautiful face.”

 

It was all she can think about. She almost asks Khun what was exactly happened to Minjun the other day. But she holds herself thinking he should have his privacy. 

She was just arriving at her home when her phone plays “Be a Man” indicating another message come in. She swipes her htc screen and read the message.

 

To: Elyssa

From: Mr. Celebrity

 

Yeah, right as if you have the media to do so.. mehhh rongggg

 

Her smiles grew wider.

 

“Aishh, this stupid person.” She whispers to herself.

 

She put her phone in her bag and grabs the thing she brought for her sister’s engagement ceremony. She went in the house, grab her mother’s hands and kiss her cheeks.

 

They talked for a while, catching up about her life in these months she’s not coming home and laugh together. Then she head towards her room to get some rest before they start preparing for tomorrow’s banquet.

 

 

***

 

 

She just finished performing her Isyaa’ prayer when she suddenly remembers his message; the one she didn’t reply yet. So she pick up her phone from the side table beside her bed and types,

 

To: Mr Celebrity

From: Elyssa

 

As if it is that hard to reach you all celebrities. J

 

The smiley at the end of the message gives the vibes of casual feeling between them. She’s comfortable with him now she can actually joke around with him.  She then folds her telekung neatly and hangs it on the hanger.

 

She come out from her room, go the kitchen and starts helping; washes the vegetables, fixes the onion, garlic and everything. She works hard through the night to make sure everything will go smoothly tomorrow.

 

She enters her room that late night to get some rest before the big day tomorrow. It was a big day for her younger sister, but still she also feels the excitement.

 

To: Elyssa

From:  Mr. Celebrity

 

Yeah, as if you dare :p

 

She laughs to herself when she finally reads the reply from Khun.

 

“Did he just challenge me to do so?” She thinks to herself. She just smiles at their conversation and lightly type on a reply.

 

 

To: Mr Celebrity

From: Elyssa

 

Are you really sure you want to challenge me Mr? I assure you, you wouldn’t like the result.. :-p :-p

 

She’s fallen asleep after she send the last message. She’s very tired and exhausted.

 

***

 

Fortunately the engagement ceremony went as smooth as water flow. Everything settles immediately and the food was extremely delicious.

 

Everybody went back home with a smile on their faces. Elyssa was very grateful and went to see her younger sister.

 

“So now you’re someone’s fiancée, huh?”

 

Elyssa naughty smile spread across her pretty little face. Her sister just shook her head and smile.

 

“Yeah, if I wait for you to go first before me I’ll be the spinster” she replies with a joking tone and a laugh following after she complete her sentence.

 

“Hey! Do you want to die as a maiden?” Elyssa pretends to be mad and slap her sister’s arm playfully.

 

They laugh together and lie down on the bed after that. They share stories of their life and laughs. It feels good to have time to spend with your family, your siblings. It was something you couldn’t buy. It was simply priceless. ELyssa regret that she didn’t have much time for that, and she was thankful for short moments like this, where she able to take some days off and just be there for her family.

 

Her days off soon come to an end and she needs to go back to the town where she spend most of her time, to get back on her feet and starts working.

 

 

***

 

 

It was like any other day and she didn’t expect anything special to happen. But, out of blue she received call from the office informing her that she has a package for her. Just arrived this morning and it seems like it was sent from a far place.

 

She wonder and thinks to herself what could it be. She walks slowly and enter the hospital administration office.

 

“Assalamualaikum, good afternoon. I’ve been told that I have a package, may I see it please?” Elyssa said to the clerk.

 

“Yes doctor. It just arrived this morning, and you might want to be careful. It looks fragile.” The clerk warns her.

 

She just smiles and nods her head.

 

She walks towards her car after getting the said package and punch her way out of work. She drives home with palpitation, excited to see what is in the package.

 

It just a small box, at least that was what she thinks.

 

She looks closely at the package. It was really addressed to her. Her name and her hospital address. She slowly peels the wrapping. One by one.

 

She smiles looking at the box. Small red cubic box. It looks like jewellery box.

 

Her jaw dropped once she sees what inside the box. A very beautiful necklace with a jed pendant carve as a piece of puzzle.

 

Her sharp pointed fingers run along the necklace, appreciating the design. It was completely rare to see a necklace with that design. And she loves it. But the problem is she didn’t know who the sender is.

 

She almost have a heart attack from the shock she receives when her phone suddenly ringing. She picks it up as a reflex without even checking who the caller is.

 

“Hello, assalamualaikum.” She said as a habit of hers, answering phone.

 

“Uhh, and how was I supposed to answer to that dear?” The soft angelic voice from other end of the line asking her.

 

There was another shocked. She didn’t recognize that voice. She started to boil. She stare at her phone screen checking the caller id.

 

And there it was. Third shock in one night. She definitely will have a heart attack if this continues. And she started to smile.

 

***