Chapter 1: Part 2: Surprise Surprise

Drifting Further Away

 

Namjoo’s POV

It’s awkward seeing this guy cry. I wonder what he’s crying about

I decided to sneak behind him and see why. Then I saw it. A family picture stuck between the open book. The picture had tear drops on it. The tears just won’t stop falling. I know I’m not close to him, but it’s just devastating to see him this hurt.

I decided to go beside him and initiate a hug.

“What the……”

“Shhh, just keep crying if you want to. I’m here.’ I said while resting my head onto his shoulder.

We stayed like that for like a minute until he signaled me to let go.

“Please don’t tell anyone about this. And thanks for comforting me.” He said while fixing the book and picture.

 Of course I wasn’t going to tell anyone but I wanted to make this fun.

“Okay but on one condition, you let me hang out with you as much as I want.” I said with an evil smirk on my face.

“B-But w-why?” He asked while stuttering.

“Because I want to.” I meronged at him.

“B-But, fine, okay. But this doesn’t make us friends, you weirdo.” He said with an angry expression.

After that I went back to my seat and didn’t remind him about the book I have. I tried starting conversations with him before the bell rang but he would continue shutting me off.

When the bell rang, our classmates had looks of suspicion about us, because we were the only ones in the classroom, I would wonder why too.

Soon, class started and some great news came up.

“Okay, now that you’ve learned about the lesson, I will give all an assignment.” Our said to our dismay, but the good news was just coming up.

“You will find a partner and answer the questions I will write on the board. And be reminded, the partnering will be girls’ choice. An early apology to you gentlemen.” He said before facing back to the board to write the questions.

Girls’ choice huh? Perfect timing to mess with Hunju and get through that rough exterior.

“Uhmm, Namjoo-sshi?” Someone called me.

“Hmm? You are?”

“Yook Sungjae. I know its girls’ choice, but please consider choosing me for the assignment.” He said with a very confident tone.

This Sungjae guy, he’s tall. He’s not my type, he’s not that cute or handsome in my eyes.

“Sorry Sungjae-sshi, but I’ve already made my decision on who my partner is going to be. I’m sorry, maybe another time?” I said, but I didn’t actually mean that.

“Ohh, okay, thanks though. I’m going to hold onto that.” He said and then walked away.

After getting rid of him, I went to “ask” Hunju only to be surprised that he was already with another girl.

“Hunju, you already have a partner?” I asked with disappointment.

“Yeah, this is Oh Hayoung, she’s been my classmate since 4th grade.” He said with that signature blank expression.

Damn you Hunju and Hayoung.

“Teacher, what if two of us want to partner up with the same person?” I asked with a loud voice.

“Well, if that happens, you girls decide on a civilized way on how to settle this. The one who get there first clause doesn’t count.” He said without even looking at me.

Okay, I need to win this.

“Hayoung-sshi, you’ve known Hun for a long time, so it might be best for Hun to be my partner since I don’t know him quite well, don’t you think so?” I asked politely.

“Well, I don’t actually know a whole lot about Hunju-sshi. He said that it might be a great time for us to finally get to know each other after all these years. I agree with him too.” She said with a calm tone while going near Hun.

I think I won’t like this Oh Hayoung girl. She gives me bad vibes.

“Okay class, I forgot to tell you, this class has 29 students, so one group will have three members, and as I see, there is some conflict with Oh Hayoung and Kim Namjoo, so you’re group will be the one with three members, so please stop arguing.” Our teacher said with a panicky voice.

Ohh great, this didn’t make anything better.

“That settles it then. Let’s go to my house later for the assignment, since I know it’s the nearest. It’s just around the corner.” Hayoung said with Hun immediately agreeing so I had no other choice.

Hmm, this is going to get tricky. I guess I could try being friends with Hayoung too.

After Mr. Jung finished writing the questions, he had a little discussion about tomorrow’s activities and finally sent us out because it was already dismissal time.

“Guys, wait for me here. I need to use the restroom.” Hun said before he ran off.

This is awkward.

“Uhmm, Namjoo-sshi?” Hayoung called me while tugging my uniform.

“Yes?”

“I think I might tell Hunju that I have a crush on him. I’ve had a crush on him since the 5th grade, but I was scared that he might reject me and I also didn’t have the courage. So, can you please help me out?” She said with a very careful and calm tone in her voice.

She has a crush on Hun? That really surprised me. I didn’t think of that. I wonder if Hun will accept her after knowing his personality, but he might show a new side of himself if she confesses. This might also be a great time to continue my mission. It might be easier, but then again, it might become harder if he gets irritated.

“That’s great Hayoung-sshi. Of course I’ll help you. I also want to friends with him since he seems a bit cold. Has he always been this cold towards people?”

“Actually no, he was a cheerful guy when we were in the 4th grade, until his parent’s died. Only a few of us know what happened. I’m telling you all of this because I trust you. His cheerfulness and colorful personality was his charm, that’s how I fell for him. But when he suddenly became sullen every day, I also got sadder. I couldn’t bear seeing him like that. So I thought to myself, if I, by any chance, be together with him, I could revive that happiness he used to have. I wanted him to be happy again.” She said with tears building up in her eyes. I wiped her eyes with my thumb.

Hayoung, you have proved me wrong. You’re alright.

“Ohh, that sounds so sad. Okay, I’ll do my very best to help you. I also wanted to bring him happiness since I noticed he’s always sad during class and even during break time.” I admitted.

“Thanks so much Namjoo!” She said happily while hugging me.

“Since I actually don’t have too many friends, can you be like a close friend to me? Actually, all my friends moved to the States to study. They all left me here. I wanted to be friends with whoever I could. Can you be one of the people to replace them?” She asked sincerely.

Seriously, are all the people in this school this sad and lonely?

“Of course! I’m a new student, so I don’t have any friends yet. I know we’re going to get along very well Hayoung.” I said while hugging her back.

I thought I was going to hate this girl but instead I started loving her more and more, we had the same mission, but she was going for another level.

“Hey, sorry for the wait. Let’s get going.” Hun said as he returned from the restroom.

We were awkwardly walking to Hayoung’s house but in no time we got there. She was right, she was just close by.

Her house is just right. Since she was an only child like me, the house is more than enough. No one was inside and she sent me and Hun to her room while she prepared some snacks.

“So Hun. About the book.”

“What about it?” He asked while getting his book from his bag.

“How did, you’re parents died?” I asked hesitantly.

“From a car crash. I was inside the car that time. When my dad knew we were going to get hit, he jumped onto me and protected me. They were reported dead upon arrival.” He said with full confidence without the tears from before.

How sad, he looks at the picture almost all of the time. He must really miss them. I wonder what I can do to help him brighten up.

Just then, Hayoung came up with sandwiches and orange juice.

“Okay, let’s get started.” I said while taking out the copy of the questions I had.

Then, Hayoung gave me a signal, maybe about her confession.

I got what it meant almost instantly.

“Ohh, wait, I’ll use the bathroom for a moment.” I said while standing up.

“2nd door to the left.” Hayoung said with a sign of thanks on her eyes.

After I left the room, I just stayed near the wall to listen to their conversation.

“Uhmm, Hunju-ah, I have something really important to say.” Hayoung said hesitantly.

“What is it?” He said while scanning the questions. I sneaked a peak and that guy won’t even look at her. You really are cold Shim Hunju.

Well, this is it, her confession is about to start.

Why am I getting nervous all of a sudden?

My heart is thumping like crazy but I don't know why. My cheeks are also heating up and my body is feeling something funny.

 


Sorry for the late update, I was pretty busy. I am sorry too for the y chapter. I had trouble writing and now I'm worried that it might not be that good, but please comment on you're reactions. It would be a huge help for me to improve on the next chapters. This has been author-sshi. Lovelots! <3