Chapter 1: Final Part: Torn

Drifting Further Away

Hunju’s POV

After showing my drawing to Hayoung and Namjoo, I went into deep thinking. I kept thinking about Hyerim-noona, I reminisced on all the good times we had, like sitting under the old tree in the park, just talking about personal problems.

“Hey Hun!’ Namjoo yelled as she flicked my nose.

“Huh? What is it?” I asked as I came back to reality.

“Hayoungie wants to talk to you. Maybe she wants a kiss~” She said in an irritating way.

“Shut up.” I said as I stood up and went to Hayoung.

As I got to her, she looked at me with a disappointed face.

“You still like her do you?” She said to me with a sad tone.

I couldn’t answer her at that moment. I was in deep thought.

“I, actually don’t know.” I said with a hint of sadness of my own.

Truth be told, I haven’t thought about her for too many times, I didn’t even call her after she left even though she told me to. I thought I would break down on the phone if I did call her.

“I have a friend in Jung Eunji-unnie’s class, I guess we could go there and you could see for yourself.” She said as she avoided eye contact. I must’ve felt hurt thinking I still like Hyerim-noona.

“Hayoung, I doubt that that girl is Hyerim-noona, but I could at least take a look, can you come with me?” I said to make her feel some relief, but it’s the truth, I actually think there’s no chance that that girl is Hyerim-noona.

“Okay, let’s go.” She said with a sniffle before walking in front of me.

We just walked to her classroom, usually I would take the initiative and hold her hand to make it less awkward but, I thought if I held her hand it would make it more awkward or she might feel sadder.

“We’re here. Woohee-unnie!” She said to me then to her friend. (A/N: I just wanted to put in Woohee since she’s my bias in Dal Shabet <3 )

“Ohh Hayoung, and you must be Hunju. Well, I’m talk to Hayoung  here while you talk to Eunji. She’s there sitting on the chair and reading her book.” She said while pointing at the girl with the glasses. I just said thank you and bowed before going in the classroom. It’s natural to go to other classrooms here in school when it’s break time, so no one looked oddly at me.

I took a deep breath and talked to Eunji-sshi.

“Jung Eunji-shhi?” I asked her then she put the book down to talk to me, then she just looked at me with wide eyes, eyes of surprise I guess.

She stood up and put her hands on my cheeks. I was afraid of what she might do, a random stranger talking to her out of the blue.

Then, thud, she slapped right across the face and ran away. I didn’t see if she had tears in her eyes, because I didn’t move, I just stared blankly. I knew she was Hyerim-noona. I couldn’t believe it, but I don’t know why she slapped me so hard. I know that the students in the class are looking at me but I didn’t care.

I just kept thinking that, Hyerim-noona is here again.

 

Hayoung’s POV

I was talking to Woohee-unnie about Jung Eunji and got some information. She is a new transfer student from Busan. She said that Eunji-sshi is went to Busan 2 years ago and was a former student here, but no one actually knew her. That made me think if she really is who Hunju is talking about.

Then I heard a slap in the room and saw Eunji-shhi running away while crying. I also saw Hunju with a huge red mark on his cheek. He wasn’t crying but he wasn’t moving either.

I grabbed Hunju and dragged him to an isolated corridor after I said goodbye to Woohee-unnie.

“What happened?” I immediately asked him as I pushed him to the wall.

He didn’t answer for a few seconds which made me angry, but also sad, which made tears build up on my eyes.

“It’s Hyerim-noona.” He said. He also confirmed it.

I wanted to cry on the spot for a number of reasons. Firstly, a girl slapped my crush. Second, my crush found the girl the missed for so long. Third, I thought he was going to forget about me because of Hyerim-shhi.

Then I just broke down. I couldn’t contain all the thoughts in my head. I just cried. I felt so ashamed to be the one who is crying instead of the person who got slapped right across the face.

I was just letting my tears fall until I felt two arms hugging me. It was Hunju.

“Stop crying, just because Hyerim-noona is here, doesn’t mean I’m going to forget about you and Namjoo, you’re still my friends after all.” He said as he grabbed my head and put it on his shoulders as he hugged me.

I couldn’t stop crying,  I knew it was just about time that Hunju forgets about us. I was just scared of that happening. I lost him for 2 years now, I never want to lose him again.

I didn’t want to tell him because he might think I’m pathetic, so I just forced myself to stop crying and go back to class with him.

As we were walking, he held onto my hand with a tight grip, probably telling me to feel fine.

“Hyerim-noona is mad at me, so I might not be talking to her for quite some time. I didn’t expect anything anyway, so don’t worry okay?” He said as he ruffled my hair.

He really does have a way with words. He just really makes everything feel normal and non-burdensome.

We finally got back to our classroom where Namjoo is waiting.

“Well, it took you long enough. So how did it go? Did you make a scene and showed love like a total weirdo?” She said as she stood up.

“She got angry at me just so you know. She slapped me and ran crying. I guess that means she’s angry at me.” Hunju said before letting go of my hand. It seems Namjoo didn’t see it.

I feel kinda bad for Hunju though. He mustered up the courage in one day to talk to Hyerim-unnie, but it took me 4 years to tell him I like him. I really am pathetic.

Namjoo didn’t react further since she expected this. Hunju told us his story and we both expected this.

As we got settled, we sat back down on our chairs and proceeded to listen to the lesson.

1 hour into the lesson, I just sleepy because you know, it’s school, it’s supposed to be boring. Just then Mina, my neighbor since 3rd grade, nudged me.

“Can I ask you something, Hayoung?” She told me.

“Sure what is it?”

“Are you and Hunju-sshi dating?” She asked me which made me blush like a tomato.

“No, it’s kind of one-sided, actually. I’m the one that likes him.” I said as I stood my ground and didn’t stutter.

“So bad, I liked him too last year, but ever since he started getting more and more passive, I kinda lost interest. Well, good luck, you two look great by the way. I hope you do end up getting together.” She said before going back to write on her notebook.

That actually got me thinking. What if I’m way too late and lose Hunju? I really need to make my move before someone steals him from me and I’ll just regret it.

I decided to woman up and ask Hunju to a date.

“Hunju?” I nudged him.

“Yeah? What is it?” He said in between a yawn.

“D-Do y-you w-w-want t-to g-go o-on a d-date?” I mentally slapped my head when I stuttered and I know that I’m screwed.

“Hahaha, you seem nervous, sure, why not? Let’s go later.” He said with a smile. He’s finally warming up to us, last time he was just writing and writing on his book, but now, he looks at us when we’re having conversations.

 

Hunju’s POV

Well, I’m going on my first date with Hayoung. I guess it can’t hurt, she’s my friend after all.

I don’t know why but I’m actually happy that I’m going on this date. Maybe it’s because of Hyerim-noona. I don’t feel so sad that she’s mad at me though. Just like Hayoung and Namjoo, I expected her to get mad. I’m just happy that I got some closure.

I heard the bell ring and we all started to pack our stuff.

“Hey, good luck on your date you love birds. Don’t you dare forget about me when you start going out officially.” Namjoo said before I motioned to smack her on the head.

Namjoo then headed out first. I was waiting for Hayoung but she was moving quite slowly.

“We’ll never get to the mall in this pace.” I said to her which made her surprised, she must be very nervous. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous, but she was over the top nervous.

“There’s no need to be nervous. Let’s just have fun, okay?” I said as I ruffled her hair.

She smiled and we headed out to exit the campus. I took the initiative to hold her hand, to lessen the awkwardness.

As we were walking towards the exit, I felt someone hug me from behind tightly, so tight that it actually hurts.

“What the h-“ I didn’t get to finish my sentence as I saw Hyerim-noona behind me crying on back as she was hugging me.

Hayoung suddenly released her hand and walked backward to get away from us.

I faced Hyerim-noona and got her to release her hug.

“What are you doing?” I asked her calmly.

“You didn’t call me.” She said angrily.

“I-I’m sorry.” Was all I could say, I don’t have a good enough explanation for what I’ve done.

“YOU’RE SORRY FOR MAKING ME WAIT TWO YEARS FOR THAT PHONECALL?! I HELD MY PHONE WHILE I SLEPT JUST TO KNOW IF YOU WOULD CALL, BUT DID YOU?!” She said while hitting my chest with her hands while still crying. I almost cried but I had no reason to, I wanted to beat myself  for what I’ve done. All I could do was regret what I’ve done.

She was just crying and I could stop her. I hugged her, but that didn’t solve anything.

“I convinced my parents to let me go back here, I went here just see you again. I couldn’t let you get away with what you’ve done.” She said while wiping her tears.

Now I regretted it more. She went through all this trouble just to see me again. If only she knew why I didn’t call.

We just stood there, me hugging her and she’s just unresponsive.

“Why? Why did you come back?” I asked.

“Because of you, stupid. I missed you so much that I couldn’t let you go. Now you’re dating someone. I may not have liked you back then, but at least I could’ve seen your relationship progress. I don’t want to see my best friend walking with her girlfriend and she’s someone I don’t know, I don’t even know if she’s good enough for you. I love you Hunju. I want you to life a good life.” She said while responding to my hug.

She called Hayoung my girlfriend, I looked at Hayoung to see if she heard it, and she definitely heard it.

“I also want you to see me with my boyfriend and I want you to be the judge if he’s good enough for me. No one knows me better that you Hunju.” She said with a small smile.

“If only you knew noona.” I said as I looked down at the ground.

“If I knew what?” She asked.

“If you what I really felt. I loved you noona, as more than a friend. I wanted to date you, to be that boyfriend that made you happy. You were the only one that made me happy despite my parents’death. I didn’t want to lose you. I felt so empty when you left. I thought I would be empty after losing my parents and the one I love. I held onto my phone every night and thought about calling you, but I was too much of a coward, cowering at the thought of you living better without me, living a better life.”I said as tears finally fell down. I only cried towards my sister before, but noona really broke me.

She held my cheeks and looked into my teary eyes sincerely. I knew I couldn’t be her boyfriend, but at least now, is my real closure.

I wanted to run away. To just forget about this humiliating experience. I lay on my bed alone, to think of the mistakes I’ve made.

“Don’t you dare cry. You’re going to make me cry again.” She said with tears building up in her eyes before releasing my cheeks.

I looked beside me if Hayoung was still here, but she’s gone. I expected that, which made me guilty making her see our scene.

“Do you still like me?” She suddenly asked.

I didn’t answer immediately for I don’t know what to answer.

“I really don’t know.” I said with a hint of guilt in my voice.

“I knew you say that.  I’m sorry for not returning your feelings. Do you think I could give you that chance again? I owe it to you. In all seriousness, I’ve never said that I don’t like you. I just haven’t processed my feelings, because we were too young, but now, we’re at the right age for dating. Can we at least try?” She explained to my surprise. I didn’t know that she was thinking about taking our relationship to the next level. I never expected her to think about it though. I though she only saw me as a little brother.

At that time, my mind flew elsewhere. I kept thinking about Hayoung. She must’ve felt heartbroken, I felt too guilty.

“Noona, did you see the girl who’s hand I was holding?” I asked her.

“Yeah, the tall girl.” She said.

“I felt rejected two years ago. The new student from our class and her, they’re my only friends in class. They made me lose my feeling of loneliness, which you made happen two years ago. Now we were about to go on a date, she mustered up the courage to ask me, which made me feel like a fool for something that I didn’t do two years ago. I knew she was shy, and she knows it too, but she still did it. I didn’t want her to feel what I felt two years ago so I accepted, and I can’t blow her off like this, so no. I’m sorry noona. I know I’m at fault too for not keeping my promise, but the hole you made in my heart, which is still recovering, can’t go through the same turmoil and trauma. Maybe when I’ve fully recovered, I could rekindle our previous relationship, but I can’t handle all this right now. I must get going noona. See you later.” I said as I held her arms while her eyes were filling up with tears. I regretted saying that to her, but Hayoung was my top priority right now, and I can’t blow her off. I needed to go find her.

After I finished saying that, I bowed slightly and ran inside the campus to look for her, because she never goes home crying, which assured me she’s still inside the campus.

I kept running and running towards our classroom, which is my first guess to where she is.

As I got close to the door, I heard crying noises inside, so I sneakily looked at the room to see if it was Hayoung, and I was correct, she was there crying so much. Someone was hugging her too, but I couldn’t see who it was.

“Hayoungie, please stop crying, please.” The girl said as she her hair. After listening to the voice, I found out that it was Namjoo. I’m so screwed, I can’t believe I made Hayoung cry like this.

I mustered up the courage to walk inside only to be greeted with Namjoo looking at me with eyes that spelled death.

I stood there like an idiot as Namjoo stood up and walked towards me.

What happened was what I expected, she slapped me right across the face with so much force. She slapped me multiple times and even punched my gut which actually hurt this time. I just allowed her to beat me up without retaliation as my eyes grew looking into space.

She just kept going at it. I didn’t stop her since I don’t have any right to. When she finally stopped, I just stood up while looking at the ground. I waited for her to beat me up again.

“Do it.” I said while still looking at me.

“Why? Did you not know she was standing there?” She asked which hit me by surprise. I may not always answer immediately, but this time, I really didn’t answer. I didn’t know what to say this time, I was too guilty to answer.

“You know what, you don’t need to talk to me, talk to her.” She said while pointing at Hayoung. I couldn’t muster up the courage to talk to her.

For the first time in my life, I was frozen, I couldn’t act. There are so many instances that I’ve lost courage to do anything for a set amount of time, but this time, I was really in a daze, I couldn’t even move my fingers. I don’t know what’s making me this frozen, but my body felt heavier and heavier by the second. So many negative emotions are clouding my body, mainly guilt and anger, towards myself for putting this innocent girl in this situation. She deserves better treatment. What can I possibly do to make this better? Can this even be settled? I’m afraid of losing a friend like Hayoung, she has become too valuable, I cannot even think about not having Hayoung as a friend, she changed my attitude too much, she made quite an impact in my life. I better settle this before I completely lose her.


Hey guys! After who knows how long, I've finally updated. I'm feeling stressed lately so the chapter might be sloppy, I apologize if you don't like it.

I even put my homeworks aside just to have some time to write this part.

Please comment guys, I love reading your comments, especially akumatsubasa! I feel so loved and it gives me so much motivation.

That's it for now guys, bye for now, lovelots! <3

P.S.

What will happen to Hunju and Hayoung's relationship? To Hunju and Eunji's relationship?

Do you want to see more Hunju x Namjoo? Hunju x Hayoung? Or even Hunju x Eunji?

How many parts do you want Chapter 2 to have?

Please answer this guys, I would really appreciate it and it would give me so much motivation to keep writing and updating more often.