Chapter 1: Part 4: High School Emotions

Drifting Further Away

Namjoo’s POV

I couldn’t sleep at all, I kept thinking about Hun. That mysterious guy makes me want to know all of his secrets. Well, in my hometown, I was known for being nosy and always dealing with other peoples’ problems. They meant it in a bad way, but I didn’t mind, I still did, since that’s how much I care about my friends.

I need some sleep, I’ll just talk to Hun about it tomorrow, I hope he’s doing well. I seems as though he gets sadder and sadder everyday. At least Youngie is feeling well again.

 

The next day

I got to school early just because of boredom. I didn’t sleep well and woke up only after 3 hours of sleep. I just couldn’t sleep right.

As I was looking at space, Hun sat down beside me and grabbed a pencil and paper and started writing.

“Good morning Hun.” I said before yawning in front of him. I should be ashamed but I wasn’t, it wasn’t a problem.

“You really shouldn’t yawn while talking to other people, it not lady-like. And good morning too.” He said without looking back at me.

I didn’t mind that but what I did mind was a red spot on his neck.

“Arghh, what the hell?” He groaned as I grabbed his collar, trying to see what his mark was. I was surprised to see that the mark went around his whole neck.

“What the hell is this?! What’s with the red mark?!” I asked angrily.

“I tried to hang myself, what else?” He casually said while fixing his collar.

What the ? How could he be this calm? He tried to hang himself? What’s wrong with him?!

“I can’t take this.” I said as I forcefully grabbed him and dragged him to the secluded part of the school.

“Explain. Now.” I said as I threw him on the ground.

“Why do I need to?” He’s back to his arrogant self. I liked his weak and sad self even better.

“If not, I’m gonna kiss you in front of everyone in class.” I threatened him. I didn’t want to, but judging from the hours we spent together, I knew that he doesn’t like affection.

“I know you’re not gonna do it. You know the conse-“ I cut him short as I pressed my lips onto his.

I was standing there, awkwardly kissing his lips. He wasn’t responding, and I didn’t really expect it. I started to move my lips more and more. I don’t know if I’m enjoying it and this is my first kiss! Why did I do that?

I finally pulled back and stared at him. I didn’t know what to say.

“I’m so sorry Hun. My emotions got the best of me.” I said awkwardly.

“It’s fine. May I just ask a question? Why?” He said calmly. He was taking this situation very calmly.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know. I’m sorry, I don’t know what to answer.” I said while looking at the ground.

“Since you’ve made an effort, I’ll tell you everything. Let’s talk at your house later.” He said before walking away and going back to class.

Why did I do that? I just don’t know. Maybe it’s instincts? Emotions? I don’t know.

I’m just glad Youngie didn’t see that. I would have broken her heart.

 

Hayoung’s POV

Why did you do that Joo-ah? Why? You know I like him and here you are kissing him? I don’t know why but I can’t get angry at you. I really can’t, I’m just really sad. But I’m not even upset.

I didn’t know why I was crying. It’s not like I own Hunju or anything but my emotions are just getting the best of me. I’ve liked him for too long.

I respect a battle and I’m willing to be your opponent. If you have feelings for him, then I have nothing against that, I will fight for his heart too. Be prepared Kim Namjoo, my bestfriend.

I decided to go back to class staying strong and holding back my tears. I saw the two of them talking to each other. I listened to their conversation at that secluded area of the school and found out about Hunju attempting suicide.

I just couldn’t release my tears, for one, I can’t bear the fact that my crush attempted suicide, but the shear knowledge of my bestfriend and my crush kissing just clouds everything else.

I waited for the lesson to end and sat at our table during lunch break and that’s when I decided to make my move.

“Joo-ah. Can I talk to for a moment?”

“What is it Youngie? Something bothering you?” She asked with a concerned tone.

“Actually there is. I saw you and Hunju kissing at the back part of the school. Why would you do that?” I asked her with my tone rising.

“I was- trying to get information from him.” She stuttered for a moment. I could see that I took her by surprise, but this just had to be done, I won’t let go of Hunju.

“It’s not what it looks like. I don’t like Hunju, I know that you like him, why would I steal him away? I’m not that cruel. I’m your bestfriend Youngie-ah.” She said with tears building up on her eyes.

“I’m just jealous since you have the courage to talk to him like that. Let alone kiss him. It’s like I have an inferiority complex. I keep letting myself down.” I said as I got more and more emotional.

Just then Namjoo stood up and hugged me, I didn’t cry this time, but I’m more emotional.

“Youngie-ah, I would never come between you and Hunju, remember that. I don’t have any feelings for him. I’m sorry for kissing him.” She said as she tightened her hug even more.

 

Hunju’s POV

 

What the hell did I just hear? I heard Namjoo telling Hayoung that she knows the she likes me. Hayoung likes me? Why would she like me? I’m not handsome, I’m anti-social, and none of them know of the one talent that I have. Why would she possibly like me?

I awkwardly walked back to our table and stared at them hugging and just sat down. Putting on my earphones and started to write again. I was listening to Zhang Liyin’s Timeless, since Xiah Junsu is part of it. I don’t like the music these days, so upbeat and colorful. I only like classic sounds and ballads.

I noticed the two girls pulled back from the hug and Namjoo started talking to me but I couldn’t hear it.

“What did you say?” I asked as I took one of my earphones off.

“I said that me and Hayoung have a favor to ask you.” She said back.

“What is it?”

“We want you to draw a picture of your ideal type of girl.” She said with a smile on her face.

I can’t draw to save my life. I at drawing, but since its Namjoo and she doesn’t take no for an answer, I have to agree and hope for the best.

With a regretful sigh, I said, “Fine, give me until tomorrow, but I must warn you, I at drawing.”

They got shocked that I actually agreed to do such a thing, but I explained my side and they just laughed.

After which we heard the school bell ring and we all stood up to get back to class.

As Hayoung was about to start walking, I grabbed her hand.

“Hayoung, can I talk to you in private?” I asked her as I led her to the corridor leading to the level above ours.

“What is this about Hunju-sshi?” She asked softly.

“I’ll cut to the chase, I heard Namjoo saying that you like me. Is that true?”

“Y-Yes, it is.” I was taken by surprise since I thought it was a joke.

“Since I’m going to be giving you a drawing of my ideal type tomorrow, I have a favor to ask you for tomorrow too.”

“Sure what is it?” She asked me.

“I want you to explain why you like me, a detailed explanation. It just, boggles my mind thinking why you like me. I see no reason for anyone to like me. So I need to hear why. Is that fine with you? If you want, I’ll invite Nam-“ I tried to finish but she stopped me.

“No, it’s fine. We can talk at my house. Let’s keep this a secret between the two of us. I easily get jealous.” She said which made me giggle a bit. I usually laugh when people talk about their bad habits, but I don’t laugh insultingly.

“Let’s go back to class.” I said as I held her hand and walked with her to the classroom. But before we got there, I let go to avoid suspicion.

Truth be told, for my whole life, I’ve only had one crush. It was when I was in the 6th grade. She was one level above me but we bonded and had fun and I even learned how to speak in Busan dialect. But we grew apart when I graduated from elementary school. She was already in her 2nd year in high school and I didn’t want to hold her down so I gradually avoided her until now.

Then she left when the school year ended, she moved back to Busan to study. I still remember her name. That’s one of the shallow reasons why I drifted apart from her, I didn’t like her name all that well, it wasn’t very lady-like.

Her name is Jung Hyerim. I still think about where she is right now.