Chapter 1: Part 3: Mixing Emotions Even More

Drifting Further Away

Namjoo's POV

There I was, listening to their conversation, hoping that it would just get over with.

"Uh, about question 2, can you help me understand it?" Hayoung said meekly.

What the hell?! Just say it already!

"That's your important question? Okay, well........." Hun started mumbling more math stuff and it didn't seem to end. I had enough and stepped back inside.

"What're you talking about guys?" I asked as I entered the room.

"Hayoung here is asking something about the algebra lesson and I'm just explaining it."

Did Hayoung chicken out? If that's true, then why? I'll just have to ask her tomorrow.

After a while, we already finished the questions because it was quite easy, especially to Hun.

It was already 6pm and we started packing.

"Namjoo, can you stay for a while? I need to talk to you, about something." Hayoung said with a very, very soft tone.

I learned that my house was close to Hun's and he opened up to us a bit, about just 1%, he told some stories about his life so that's a start.

"Okay, Hun, lets just walk home together another time." I said before waving goodbye to him.

"Sure, whatever, see you guys tomorrow." He said before taking his leave. We waited for him to leave the house before starting the conversation.

"So, what the hell Hayoung?! Why didn't you tell him?" I already knew what she wanted to talk about.

"I was terrified, I knew you were against the wall, so you must've heard my voice cracking while asking him. I was too scared because, I know he doesn't consider anyone to be his friend but the two of us are close to being friends with him, I know it. I didn't want to ruin any of that." She said as tears started building up and she finally broke down.

I hugged her while she was crying, I didn't respond as I just let her cry. I knew she tried, very hard, but that feeling of getting turned down and making things worse, it got the better of her so she shouldn't get mad at herself.  We just stood there, with me comforting her.

"Thanks Joo-ah, thanks for understanding. I know that you know why I couldn't. Just give me more time, I'll muster up the strength, I promise." She said with that beautiful smile of hers.

"Take all the time you need, you don't need to rush things." I said lovingly as I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks Joo-ah. Let's be best friends." She suddenly said. It surprised me actually, it's like it's progressing too fast, but who cares? It won't matter. She's a loevly, friendly and cheerful girl.

"Of course! Finally! I have a best friend at this school!" I said with glee. I was so happy.

"Truthfully, I was jealous when I saw you and Hunju sitting together at lunch time. I thought something was going on between the two of you." She said with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

"There is nothing going on between us, okay? So keep pursuing him! I'll help you out!" I said with a reassuring voice.

"It's good to hear that. Thanks again Joo-ah." She said as she tightened the hug even more.

After that her mother came in and asked me to stay for dinner because she hasn't see Hayoungie this happy before. I accepted since my parents aren't home yet. They sent me a text, telling me they won't be home until midnight.

"It's so nice to finally see Hayoung bring home a friend. Are you new in this neighborhood?" Youngie's mom asked me with an identical smile that Youngie gives.

"Yes auntie, I moved just two weeks ago so I'm not really familiar with the area yet." I said as I put the piece of meat into my mouth.

"I'll be happy to explore with you Joo-ah." She said as she fed me another piece.

After chatting and chatting, dinner ended. I really needed to go home. Hayoungie offered to walk me home but I declined since I will buy some groceries which will take some time.

I said goodbye to auntie and Youngie and started walking into the dark street. I wasn't scared about muggers since I know how to escape with ease.

As I started walking, I got pretty lonely and started thinking about what happened in class. Hunnie was crying his eyes out when he was staring at his family picture. I wonder what really happened. As the thoughts clouded my mind, I got a text from Hunnie. What I read somehow broke my heart.

"This doesn't change anything. We're still not friends, not even a little bit. I'm not sorry at all, but the comfort you gave me, I'm thankful for that. Thanks a lot Joo-ah. I'm only using the nichname this once." - Hunnie =)

I was filled with both happiness and sadness. sadness because nothing actually changed with our relationship, but Happiness because I felt as though I helped him in his time of need. This strange feeling coursed through my body and a comforting warmth filled me. It was weird but it felt so great. What are you doing to me Shim Hunju? What a weird person. I expect more weird things to happen to the two of us.

 

Hunju's POV

There it is again. The rope. It's tied to the ceiling, ready to be used.

I want to just end everything, but I can't bring myself to do it.

"WHY AM I SO WEAK?!" I said as I punched the mirror behind me, breaking the glass and cutting my hand severely.

"Just end it already! What're you waiting for?!" I screamed at myself while looking at the mirror with tears flowing down my cheeks.

As I sniveled, I looked at my pathetic face then my bleeding hand. Seeing my blood is natural these days. Not being able to bring myself to just my life, thus ending the agony.

"Arghh!" I shouted as I continued to punch the broken mirror, causing great pain to my hand and more cuts.

After a final burst of anger and downpour of tears, I stood up on the chair and put my head inside the knot of the rope. Finally ready to bring my life to a close, still clouded with regrets, but with my options to resolve those regrets narrowed to zero, I had no more choice.

"Goodbye." I said as I kicked the chair away, causing my body to hang freely with the rope as the only support.

It's so painful, but it must be done.

Then I heard the door crashing open and a female figure came running towards me.

She hugged me instantly and pulled me away from the rope, causing me to fall and cough and cough with no end.

"Why are you doing this to yourself Hunju?! Why?!" She angrily shouted at me while punching my arm.

"It's none of your business noona. Get out. I'll go to bed on my own." I managed to say before coughing again.

"I need to hide every rope in this house, but please Hunju, don't do this, this won't change anything. It won't make any better difference." She said as tears started flowing down her cheeks.

My older sister, Shim Haeryung, just 3 years older than me, now provides for the both of us, doing her best to keep us going.

I didn't respond to her and just walked up the stairs and then to my room.

I don't regret making her sad. If I just got away with it, it may cause her sadness, great sadness, but as time will go by, she'll forget me and continue to live her life happily. Does she not know how hard it is to live the life I'm living? The greatest regret that a young high schooler can carry, it makes me want to take away my own life everyday. I would pay with my body just to get my parents back. This regret, it's really too much to handle.

I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't focus on writing, I can't do anything right. It's already been a few years yet I still can't get my life back on track.

I can't do anything but just cry. Cry like a weak and foolish child.


Hello guys! Sorry for the late update! It;s hard to think of new topics for the story. I hope you like it! :D

Give me some suggestions and comments to make part 4 better! Love lots ! :)

P.S. What makes Hunju want to kill himself?

Will Namjoo ever find out about it? And will she be able to do anything about it?

When will Hayoung confess to Hunju?

So many questions to be answered, and no spoilers shall be given, kekeke.