Chapter 1: Part 5: Someone New, Something More

Drifting Further Away

Hunju’s POV

 

The rest of the day was normal, I got into Namjoo and Hayoung’s conversations, I didn’t even listen, I just wrote on my notebook.

“Hey Hun!” Namjoo shook me and called me loudly.

“Shhh! What is it? Speak quietly.” I scolded her.

“I’m sorry. I just wanted to ask, what are you always writing on your notebook? It’s a mystery to me and Youngie. You don’t seem to go a full hour without writing.” She asked me.

“It’s nothing, just a hobby.” I said without even looking at her, I just wrote and wrote.

“Can we-“ I cut her off before she even finished her question.

“No.” I answered sternly.

“You didn’t even let me finish.” She said irritated.

“You were going to ask if you can see it, don’t bother denying.” I looked at the two of them when I said this and they had enlarged eyes because I hit them dead on.

“Why can’t we see it?” Hayoung asked me.

“These are secrets that I want to keep only to myself.” I said as I looked back at my notebook and started to write. As I started to write again, the bell suddenly rang and it was time to go home.

I signaled Hayoung and she just nodded, that’s when I remembered that I had to meet up with Namjoo too, we would talk about my “suicide marks”.

I didn’t know what to do, should I go with Namjoo or with Hayoung? That’s when I got a text from Namjoo.

“Hey Hunnie! I just remembered, I have an appointment after school, let’s just have the talk tomorrow, I’m sorry for the inconvenience.” – Namjoo.

She actually did me a favor; I never thought that this could actually work out. Now I don’t have to choose.

I went outside and there was Hayoung waving at me. I have to admit, she did look cute with that big smile. We walked together to her house, I suggested we stop by a café and eat first, and she agreed.

We got a table and ordered two Iced Americanos. She looked so happy before we went out of school but now she looks so awkward.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Why’re you acting awkward?” I asked her as I placed my hand on her shoulder.

“Nothing, it’s just, when I’m alone around my crush, it makes me so nervous. I don’t know what to do or what to talk about.” She explained still avoiding eye contact. Now I realize why Namjoo gets mad when I don’t look at her when I talk.

“There’s nothing to get nervous about. By the way, when did you last have a crush?” I asked her.

“You’re actually my first crush. I’ve liked you since 5th grade. How about you do you like someone? Or if not when was the last time you liked someone?” She answered then gave me a question.

“Well, it was back at 6th grade, I liked this girl, she was one level above ours, but she moved back to her hometown of Busan to continue her studies.” I explained to her.

“Wait, is that Jung Hyerim? The girl who always talks with dialect?” She asked me to my surprise.

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“Well, there’s this girl who came back from Busan, they say she looks like Hyerim-unnie, but her name is Jung Eunji. I think you should see for yourself tomorrow. She’s in Class-D.” She answered.

A person that looks like Hyerim-noona? I should take a look. And she’s in Class-D? Just like Hyerim-noona, this must be a big coincidence.

“Well, should we get going to your house?” I asked as I put down my coffee.

“Yeah, let’s go.” She said as she put money on the table but I stopped her just in time.

“Let me pay for it.” I said as I put money on the table and gave her money back.

As I gave her the money, I saw her blush which was cute. This girl is weirdly adorable.

 

Hayoung’s POV

Its great being with Hunju, just the two of us but something is making me worried.

Back at the school

“Hayoungie!” Namjoo yelled at me.

“Joo-ah! What is it?”I asked her.

“What do you mean, “What is it?”, don’t you remember? We’re going to the mall to hangout.” She said which surprised me. I totally forgot about that. Hunju must have blocked my thinking when we were back at the corridor.

“I’m sorry Joo-ah, something came up, I need to go back home, my parents need me there.” I made up an excuse which worked as she just pouted but eventually went back inside the campus.

I’m a horrible person for lying to my best friend. I feel so ashamed.

“Hayoung-sshi.” Hunju suddenly talked to me.

“Yeah?” I snapped back to reality.

“You’re looking nervous. If it’s about me, don’t be. I hate it when people are nervous around me. Unless I’m nervous too, which is fine.” He said as he grabbed my hand and held on to it.

I’m blushing, why is he doing this all of a sudden? Under that cold exterior, it seems as though he’s being the concerned person I’ve always known before, looking out for people and helping others.

I decided to take the initiative the held on to his hand too, to show that I’m not nervous anymore.

 

Namjoo’s POV

 

I KNOW YOU TWO ARE DOING SOMETHING BEHIND MY BACK! HOW DARE YOU NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS?!

Back at the school

“I’m sorry Joo-ah, something came up, I need to go back home, my parents need me there.” Hayoungie said which made me sad and I just pouted.

I already sent Hun my text telling him I can’t make it. Well, I’ll just hang out with Hun then.

As I walked back to our class where I assumed he would still be at, because he goes out 5 minutes after everyone goes, I saw that he wasn’t there, which is weird. I decided to go back outside where Hayoung is talking to a familiar figure. It’s Hun! And there they go, walking together going somewhere. How dare they not invite me?!

I decided to eavesdrop on them, to see where they’re going. I stopped when they went to a café and just waited outside.

Soon they went out again and after walking for a few minutes, they suddenly talk and then hold hands! This is going way too fast!

Earlier you seem so distant but now you’re holding hands? You two need a lot of explaining to do.

They finally reached Hayoungie’s house, but I waited for 10 minutes before I knocked.

The door was opened by Hayoungie’s mom and I told her to not tell Hayoungie that I’m the one that entered.

I sneaked upstairs as I was given permission by her mom. I crept near the door to listen to what they’re talking about but I couldn’t hear anything. I remembered that Hayoungie told me that she never locks her door. So I gathered the courage to just open it.

As I was about to scream at the two of them, I blushed at what I saw.

Hayoungie was above Hun kissing him while grabbing onto his shirt.

“Can you just explain to me what you’re doing?” I asked as they pulled away from the kiss.

I breathed in and out as I sat on the bed waiting for their explanation.

“Well?” I said as I crossed my arms.

“I’ll just explain everything. I talked to Hayoung at the corridor earlier and asked her to tell me why she likes me, and yes I heard your conversation earlier, I heard you say to her that you know she likes me so I got curious. We agreed to talk here. She did explain to me why she likes me and she told me she saw us kissing at the secluded area of the school and that she got jealous. Then she just kissed me.” Hunju explained with detail.

Wow, they really planned this, now I feel like a bad person.

“But Youngie, you said that your parents needed you. I already sent a text to Hun because we also made plans but I chose to go with you.” I said with suspicion.

“I lied because I didn’t want to make any sort of trouble. And what did you two make plans for?” She answered honestly and then asked me.

“Well it’s about these.” I said as I pulled Hun’s collar and showed her the marks on his neck.

She blocked her gaped mouth with her hands because of shock.

“Hun told me he almost committed suicide.” I said which shocked Hayoungie even more, and I saw some tears build up on Hayoungie’s eyes. Well I can’t blame her, knowing that her crush almost committed suicide is a horrible thing.

“Hun, you can just explain yourself right now. Please just explain, I hope you have a good explanation.” I said as I put Hun on the spot, in a situation he knows he can’t escape.

 

Hunju’s POV

 

I didn’t know things could get this out of hand. It was bad enough to explain myself to just Namjoo now I have to explain with the two of them here?

“Okay, I’ll come out clean. I’m depressed because of my parents’ death 5 years ago. I blame myself for what happened and couldn’t escape that. I took part-time jobs just to buy anti-depressants and nothing more. Just that. After several months of taking the medicine, I knew it didn’t work and just went mental. I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t eat. I tried several times to commit suicide but my sister always finds a way to stop me before I do it or just started. I feel sad for my sister providing for the two of us but I just wanted to escape the reality that I caused my parents’ death. This is the 1st time I explained this to anyone.” I explained to the two of them. I started to cry then I saw them crying too, but I still released the more tears.

Namjoo and Hayoung suddenly hugged me tightly as we all cried.

“Can you promise us that you won’t do it again?” She asked as they still hugged me.

“I’ll try my best.” I said to them as I wiped my tears.

We just stayed there for a few more minutes before pulling out and Namjoo and I started to get our stuff.

“Well, I need to leave; I still have to do that drawing I promised. See you guys tomorrow. And thank you for comforting me. It seems as though I finally found some friends worth fighting for.” I said before walking out with Namjoo. Hayoung waved at us as we walked down the street and we waved back.

Namjoo and I just walked together silently. But suddenly she wrapped her hand around mine and rested her head on my shoulder.

“What gives?” I asked.

“Nothing, it’s just cold.” She said as I blushing from the skinship and we continued walking.

Eventually, we reached our respectively houses and waved at each other before entering our houses.

“Hey noona! I’m back!” I said as I put my bag down on the couch.

“How was-“ She tried to talk before I planted a kiss on her cheek. I rarely do it, but when I do, she knows it means that I’m happy.

Then she started to cry. I could understand this time as I just hugged her.

“Always remember that noona loves you okay Hunju?” She said as she hugged me tightly.

“Yes noona. I love you too.” I said as I pulled away from the hug as my sister giggled as she wiped her tears. I then walked upstairs to my room and got my pen and paper and started drawing.

I drew for a long time and as I looked at the time, it was already 10pm. I looked at my drawing and I’m satisfied. I think they’ll like it. I then took a shower and brushed my teeth before going to bed.

Today has been different. I’ve never been happy for a long time. Kim Namjoo, we may have just known each other for a few days, but you’ve really changed a lot in my life. Making me smile, I’m grateful for that.

 

Next day

I got to school and immediately went to Hayoung and Namjoo to show the drawing.

“Well, I finished it.” I said as I grabbed the paper from my bag.

I can see them getting nervous, and I was also a bit nervous actually.

(A/N, I drew this xD)

I finally showed it and they both clapped, so I guess they kinda liked it.

“I want a girl who’s English name starts with an ‘E’ and almost looks like this.” I explained. I copied some of Hyerim-noona’s features and edited the features I think would look better, like bigger eyes.

Hayoung gave me a look and I whispered without a sound, “Later”.

As I looked back at the drawing, tears built up as I reminisced about Hyerim-noona. I suddenly missed her more than ever. I wished Hyerim-noona would be here. I wanted to be with her again.

I just really missed her.


Hey guys! So some sad and happy moments in this part of the chapter. So my plan of putting 5 parts in each chapter failed. Hahaha.

Do you like part 5? Tell me if you want something to happen and I'll consider it okay? Comments are highly appreciated and loved. <3

Well, I guess that's all. How do you like Eunji being in the mix? Kekeke :3 

Okay guys bye! Lovelots! <3 <3 

P.S. I promise that Part 6 will be very very very very very very sad, and as an ending to chapter 1, it will have sad closing words.