Chapter 1: Part 1: Smiling even more

Drifting Further Away

So, I little background check on me, I’m Shim HunJu, I’m a writer. I’m 18 years old and 175cm. 3 years ago, I didn’t realize that I made mistake in life that brought me to depression and several instances of me trying to commit suicide. This story starts 4 years ago, at my previous high school, Yeran High.

I was reading my book and the bell rang, I didn’t care and kept reading.

“Okay class, welcome to Yeran, I hope you enjoy you’re stay here and I hope you study well.” Mr. Choi, my class adviser, said to us and we responded with a simple good morning.

“I recognize some of your faces, well actually I recognize everyone after the graduation ceremony, but we have one transfer student, please welcome Kim Namjoo.” He finished his introduction.

“Annyeonghaseyeo. I’m Kim Namjoo, its fine to call me Joo. I hope I become friends with everyone here. Let’s all have fun together.” She greeted with a smile and finished with a 90 degree bow.

“Okay Ms. Kim, please sit beside Mr. Shim and try to be friends with him since he’s always seems down.”

“You can count on me sir! I’m known for being a happy virus. Does that mean we’re like a team?” She with that bright face, it almost irritates me.

“You could say that. And you Mr. Shim, play nice okay? At least try to be her friend.” He said with this almost pleading look.

“Fine.” I said, my eyes not leaving the book.

After that, that Kim girl walked towards her seat beside me.

“Hello mister! Let’s be friends! Mr. Choi told be to stick to you today and get to know you more! I hope we become great friends!” She said while sticking out her hand for a handshake.

I shook her hand and said “If you’re going to stick beside me, please lower your voice, it’s so loud that it actually hurts.” After saying that I closed my book and prepared to listen to class.

2 hours into the class and Kim still pesters me every chance she gets. I don’t class her Namjoo since we’re not even close.

“Hey Hun!” she called me.

“What? And how did you know my name and who are you to make a nickname for me?” I answered angrily.

“I sneaked a peak at your ID while you weren’t looking. Anyway, want to hang out later? If that’s okay with you.” She asked, now with a softer voice. I swear to God she has got to be one of the weirdest girls I’ve ever talked to.

What did I get to deserve this?

“Actually it’s not okay with me. Both the nickname and hanging out with you. Now, if you would excuse me, I would like to listen to the teacher in peace.” I said straightforward and didn’t even bother to look at her.

“You’re mean. Okay, maybe another time then.” She said while flashing a smile and went back to listen to the teacher. I saw the smile at the corner of my eye. I just answered negatively to everything she said and she’s still happy. I’m getting really pissed.

After another hour, it was time to have our lunch. And of course, she is still with me. I get tables here pretty easily since I don’t social and I get the table all to myself, today is an exception. Hopefully, it’s only until today.

“Hun-sshi, why do you sit alone? Don’t you have friends?” Kim asked me while eating her rice.

“Nope. I don’t like having friends.” I answered, my eyes not leaving the book I’m reading.

“Yah, you should really stop reading and eat, you can’t study with an empty stomach.” She said while was stuffed with food. Disgusting girl.

“I forgot my lunchbox, I’m not hungry anyway.” Again I answer with my attention only on the book.

“No! No! No! You need to eat, here, let’s share!”

I glanced at her food and my eyes widened. It was like the size of a plate, plus it has two parts. This girl eats so much but her body is slim. Weird.

“No thanks. Besides, you’ve already used the chopsticks.” I answered soullessly.

“I don’t care! Here let me!” She suddenly stood up and sat beside me.

“Don’t you dare! Hmmppp! St-mmphh” I tried stopping her but she stuffed food into my mouth.

“Swallow it!! You need to eat!!” She said aggressively while pushing the food into my mouth.

I had no choice, unless I want my mouth permanently aching. I had to swallow it.

“What the hell was that for?!” I said with a loud voice.

“How about a thank you? Mister grumpy.” She said with a serious face, well not really. She was trying way too hard.

“With whatever you’re doing, stop it. I don’t want to be friends with you. Stay away from me.” I stood up and rushed back to class even with 10 more minutes before the bell rang.

I’m really starting to hate that girl.

 

Namjoo’s POV

What was that about? I was just trying to help him. I don’t get that guy.

“Hey, a book. It must be Hun’s. I must return it.” I said to myself before putting it in my bag.

I didn’t read it because it might be private.

Okay, the 1st mission I need to accomplish, be Shim Hunju’s friend at all costs.

Mission start kekeke~

He will crumble. That mask he’s wearing will be broken.

After thinking about my “mission”, I rushed back to the classroom, only to find Hun-sshi, reading a new book.

But that’s not what surprised me, I was surprised that he had tears rushing down his cheeks. Why? Is he sad about the book he lost? I should give it back right away.

 

Hunju’s POV

“I miss them so much.” I mumbled to myself while crying my eyes out. “Please come back. Please.”