Chapter 8

The Ugly Duckling

Jung Soobin

 

"Fire us?" I gaped over at Taeyeon who had stared back at me with a grim look on her face. "You can't be serious."

Taeyeon snorted, "I assure you, that I am not trying to make a joke. That boy," She turns her head and sticks out a bit of her chin in his direction, "His father came in today at around 3:30, while you were still at school, and contacted the manager, the one who never shows up? Yeah, him. They talked for quite some time, most likely discussing buiness ventures. After his father left, the manager told me that they were thinking about buying this space, to start their chain of a coffee shop that they had been pondering over for the past 3 years."

"You don't think they'll just fire us?" I asked in trepidation as I began to pour the boiling milk into the cup of warm hot chocolate.

"I'm pretty sure they will. Re-model this place to make it look more hip -- fire us and get new waitresses that could be models." Taeyeon sighed, "If you don't mind, I think he might be the only customer. I'll clean up the kitchen but I have to head out soon." She grimaced, "I have a dissertation to write. Ah, the difficult times of being a college senior. You mind locking up? I clear most of the dishes for you anyways." 

I nodded slowly, "Yeah, sure." In response, Taeyeon handed me the key without another word and scurried back of the kitchen. Slipping the key into the front pocket of my apron, I placed the cup of hot chocolate on a plate and walked over to where Luhan was sitting, near the opposite of the room.

He had been glancing over the decor of the room in particular interest but his attention had turned to the flashing lights and speeding cars outside as I walked over to his table. "Here you go. Do you need anything else?" I asked slowly as I laid the cup right before him.

Luhan looked at down at the mug and grinned, "You can do latte art?"

I nodded, "It's hot chocolate though."

"I know," He replied slowly as he took a small sip, almost as if not wanting to disturb the art I created, "Why don't you sit down?"

I heard a tinkling of the bell and noticied Taeyeon racing away at top-speed. I contemplated for a moment before sitting across from him -- no one else was here anyways. We sat in silence for a while, and my eyes naturally glanced over to the window right beside us.

"Did you have fun playing the rest of the boys?" Luhan asked me quite suddenly, causing me to rip my eyes from the window and onto his eyes. 

I glanced down at my hands, "Yes, I suppose I did."

"It was quite a shock, seeing you work here."

"Likewise."

We lapsed into another, somewhat uncomfortable, silence before Luhan responded, "Why do you work here?"

"Same reason people work jobs in general -- to get money." 

He smiled, eyes twinkling as he took another sip of the hot chocolate, "I suppose you're right. But shouldn't people work in something they enjoy?"

"Do you enjoy working under your father's business?"

His eyes widened briefly before crinkling again to a well-known eye-smile, "Touche. I've always been curious, how exactly did you and Baekhyun meet? You don't seem like the type of people that usually would talk to one another."

I sighed slowly, "He tried to stand up for me one day in class. I got frustrated. People seem to think that just because I don't talk, I'm weak or can't stand up for myself. I can. Anyway, long story short, I suppose I intrigued him since I was probably one of the only girls to yell at him in the hallway among our classmates. He was probably embarassed and came running to me to equally embarass myself, so I'm quite leery on anything he does."

Luhan laughed softly, "You do seem rather independent. Like how you treated me in the hall."

I grinned sheepishly in response, "I just don't like to be touched by strangers. I'm sorry, Baekhyun did the same to me when we first met and I was probably frustrated."

Taking another sip of hot chocolate, Luhan laughed a light chuckle and grinned in response, "Not at all, my actions were probably out-of-line and I apologize for that."

We sat there for a moment, both of us smiling apologetically at the other for our previous actions. And how weird it felt, in that moment, to have a companion to talk to over coffee, to be able to have someone to smile sillily about past mistakes with, to be able to have a friend.

The two us commented about a variety of subjects, from current events to the political disagreements among the U.S. and how that affects us in Korea to pop groups and what type of music we liked. The majority of the time, though, Luhan carried the conversation, he was the one that started a new topic when it seemed like we wore out the old one. He seemed to understand that I wasn't ready to show him my real personality and he respected it.

Before I knew it, the time within the cafe had rung a late 10 o'clock, meaning that I would have to close and lock the cafe up.

"Do you need a ride?" He asked me carefully.

After contemplating for quite some time, I smiled with a slight nod, "Yes, I'll like that."

                                                                                                                                                                                         

Hey guys, sorry for the sporadic updates, AP exams are hectic :(

Anyways, updates should be regular now, so yay!

Also, I was wondering, would you guys also want to know about the life of other members? Like, a chapter or two from the POV from Luhan, Yixing, Sehun, etc? If you do, comment below? Also, the soundtrack is still in progess :)

Comment and Subscribe for more!

 

Sixty Seconds || The Color War