Chapter 5

The Ugly Duckling

Jung Soobin

Stupid Byun Baekhun. Idiot. Jerk. Crazy. I literally went through all the negative words I could think of inside my head as I rushed to homeroom. Why is he so adament on trying to help me? I offer him no intrinsic benefits or reward. Perhaps he's only doing this on a dare. Yes, that's it. Well, I'll show him. I am not going down without a fight.

I mumbled to myself as I was walking through the hall, furiously annoyed. I didn't notice that I had bumped into someone until that someone yelled in frustation as his books and papers were sprayed in the hallway.

I groaned but bowed softly nevertheless in apology. "I'm sorry, I wasn't looking--"

"Do you ever look at where you're going?" He asked me haughtily as he crouched down to pick up the papers. I simply rolled my eyes and tried to bend down to help him before he roughly pushed my hands away and mumbled, "I don't need your dirty hands to touch my things."

I stood there, mouth agape feeling awfully humiliated but frozen still.

"That wasn't very nice," A voice perked up behind me. Still completely frozen, I was unable to turn around to see who it was before.

The boy in front of me pushed back his bangs revealing his rather hard eyes which curled up in a smile as he recognized the person behind me, "Luhan-hyung!"

"Sehun, that wasn't really nice, you should probably apologize."

I turned swiftly and bowed at a 45 degree angle, "Excuse me, but it's alright. I take responsiility for what happened - after all, I wasn't looking." I turned to leave when I felt an hand wrapped around my wrist. I narrowed my eyes and spun around, "What do you think you are doing?"

"Ah!" Luhan quickly released my wrist and started scratching the back of his head, "Sorry about that! I just don't think you should leave."

"Why is that?"

"Uh..."

In response I simply turned my heel and stalked down the hallway.

*          *          *

What is with the guys at this school and constantly pulling on girl's arm? I rolled my eyes as I sat in my last class of the day: math. It was one of my favorite subjects -- it was based off of reason and logical. A series of steps, one by one, you can get to the answer. There were no guesswork, it worked or it didn't, there were no in-between. No compromises, no hard-feelings. It felt right and never felt right. And I suppose I was attracted to the sense of feeling no regret.

I found myself staring at the clock though, Baekhyun had popped into my mind with his Think about this like one of your math problems. I groaned inherently and dreaded when the five minutes were up.

They couldn't have come quicker.

"Okay, class is dismissed!" Mr. Cho shouted to the entire class, which had already became an ruckus with sounds of crinking papers being stuck in backpacks and the slap of multiple books being stacked together, with his hands held up. "You have a test on Friday, please remember to study! I don't want to have you guys all go to study hall because of your grades."

I peacefully placed each pencil into my pencil bag and in a split of an eye, the entire class was empty including the teacher himself. I sighed as I walked to the front of the classroom where the closet was located and extracted a broom.

"What are you doing?" I looked up and say Baekhyun standing next to my desk with both of his hands in his pocket.

I shrugged and began sweeping the floor, "I have detention. I have to clean up the homeroom."

"What are we supposed to do about our thing then?"

I shrugged again, "Reschedule?"

"Well, let's just do it here."

"I rather not. If you don't mind, this is a rather public place."

"But it will be fun!"

"I'll pass. I rather not have our first time in a classroom."

"I think its rather exciting, though," Baekhyun replied, pouting.

I sighed, giving in and blaming my nerves, "Fine."

"Yay!" He clapped, looking like a five-year old. "Are you ready?"

Before I could answer, a group of boys tumbled through the door with words of "Ow!," "Watch it!," and "!" filling the empty, previously silent classroom rather quickly. I recognized two of them -- the two from the hallway this previous lunch.

One of them, a rather tall, lean boy with crazy, big, brown eyes and soft dark brown hair pointed his finger at Baekhyun and shouted at the top of his lungs, "I DO NOT ACCEPT HAVING IN PUBLIC PLACES! LUHAN TOLD ME HOW NICE SHE WAS. I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO DEFILE HER IN A PUBLIC PLACE."

My mouth fell open and the broom clattered to the ground.

Baekhyun cursed.

                                                                                                                                                                                       

Basically, the rest of EXO thought that they were going to have *youknow* fun times in the classroom. You could probaly guess because they just heard what Soobin and Baekhyun talking but they were refering to popularity issues.

Also, I will not put all of EXO in this story -- thats just too many characters for me to handle. I would rather focus on a couple and develop them into individual characters with complex stories behind them. So, there would be a total of (5) EXO members in this story and they will be revealed in the next chapter.

A bit of a filler, I know. But I wanted their first "lesson" to be in Baekhyun's POV. Also, you might think its weird that Chanyeol is friendly to Soobin despite never talking to her -- its just his character I developed. He's just like that -- He's really friendly but easily swayed, so he just listened to whatever Luhan told him. Don't worry, more evidence of his character will be in future chapters :)

Anyways, comment and subscribe? Much love!