Chapter 4

The Ugly Duckling

Byun Baekhyun

If you asked me exactly what I was thinking when I decided to sit across from Jung Soobin, I would say that I absolutely had no idea. Perhaps it was the reason that Soobin looked a bit like Yoobi (I would have to think Chanyeol lated for bringing it to my attention). They both have very similar facial structures and noses. The only blatant difference was the fact that Soobin didn't have double eyelids but her big eyes made up for it which contrasted Yoobi's rather deep-set double eyelids. 

She was sitting there with these puppy eyes as she titled her head to the right in confusion on what I just said. Her eyes were still set on everyone else behind me. I grinned and went back to my lunch.

"I don't want to be popular," She replied to me bluntly.

I chuckled in response, "I doubt it. You may say that you don't want to be popular but deep down, you really do. Everyone wants to be popular, no matter what the say. Everyone wants those fifteen minutes of fame, no matter where or when. Trust me when I say that being popular will benefit you."

"Oh?" She asked, leaning in but still keeping her distance, "And how would you know everything about me and what I want? Was it during those times when you figured out exactly how long I was alone for?"

I cursed in my head and winced outright. I can't believe that she actually remembered what I said to her in the hall yesterday. I tried to mask my surprise and ate another spoonful of rice, "No, of course not. But that's not any reason to not want to know more about you in the future. Look at it this way, if you accept, I will be the first to leave you alone."

She seemed as if she contemplated what I said for the longest time before she replied,"I see no benefits at all from accepting your proposal. If the other girls see me constantly with you, no doubt they will bully me even furthur and cause me other hardships. So, no thanks, I'll pass."

I smirked as I pushed my lunch tray away from me, "Think about this like one of your math problems." I inwardly cursed again. Why tell her that you know she likes math? Damn you Byun Baekhyun for being so obvious. "If you were one of the most popular girls at the school, the other girls, no doubt, wouldn't dare to bully you. Maybe they'll even leave you alone. Isn't that what you want the most? And to make this deal all the more worthwhile, I'll even leave you alone after all of this."

Soobin crossed her arms and contemplated my answer for a bit before replying, "I don't understand. Why are you helping me?"

"Because Soobin-ah, you--"

"Soobin-sshi," She interrupted.

I corrected myself, "Soobin-sshi, you can say that I am an agent of justice. I simply can't stand for all this mistreatment of you any longer. Its a universal truth that everyone secretly wants to root for the underdog."

She sat there in silence for the longest time that I could possibly remember. Her answer of "Fine" actually look me by surprise. She continued, "But we have to set a couple of rules. We will only meet at school. If meeting at school raises complications, we will only meet in private places." I snorted, its not as if I was going to try and her, "Our conversations will be simply business related, especially considering that I have no interest in your personal life. And you will promise me that you will leave me alone after this ridiculous thing transpires."

"Would you like anything else, Milady? Perhaps some tropical fruit, Your Highness?"

"Oh, haha," She leaned back into her chair, "You are hilarious."

I winked, "I try."

"Anyway, our meetings will end by 8:00."

"Why is that?" I asked, and tilted my head to the left. 

"Nothing you need to consider yourself with." She stated bluntly and began to pick up her bag along with her uneaten lunch. 

I grabbed her arm before she could leave the table and said, "Meet me today at the library after study hall. We start today."

She glared at me but said "Fine" nevertheless and walked out of the cafeteria along with putting her tray in the disposal and gave a slight bow of apology to the cafeteria lady for not eating her lunch.

I grinned, a grin that I probably haven't smiled in a couple of months, and walked over to the usual group of guys that I ate lunch with. 

Chanyeol was the first one to break the silence, "What was that all about? Are you dating Jung Soobin?!"

I waved him off, "Of course not. She doesn't like me like that. In fact, she hates me."

"Jung Soobin is interesting isn't she?" Luhan carefully said.

I grinned, "Yeah, yeah, she is."

 

                                                                                                                                                  

Hi everyone!

If you're curious as to what Jung Soobin looks like, I would say that I had Park Boyoung in mind when I was developing her character, so she looks a lot like Park Boyoung, especially her eyes since Park Boyoung doesn't have double eyelids but still has extremely big eyes nevertheless :)

Anyways, comment and subscribe?