Chapter 7

The Ugly Duckling

Jung Soobin

Oh, really, Jung Soobin, how much of an idiot can you be?! Spending time with people you've only met for 10 minutes and with that idiot Byun Baekhyun nevertheless. I got so lost in playing games that I lost track of time.

But at least you got to spend time with Yixing.

Shut up! I groaned in frustration as I literally ran across the sidewalk. It wasn't like I stared at him from afar, or anything stalkerish like that. He just had a really nice smile and I happen to like guys with nice smiles.

I slapped myself back into reality as I stepped into a coffee shop and burst into the employee section of the cafe, screaming apologies of being late. 

"Are you okay?" My manager, Kim Taeyeon, asked me softly as she looked over with worried eyes as I threw on my waitress outfit as fast as I could.

"No," I answered honestly back. I turned to her and stared at her with pleading eyes, "Please don't tell on me. I won't be late again."

"But you're not late though."

"What?" I stopped what I was doing as I reached to pull down my school uniform.

Taeyeon laughed softly, "You're not late?" She pointed at the clock. "It's only 8:15. I thought I emailed you that your shift is starting at 8:30 tonight."

"Ah," I laughed nervously as I finished changing, trying to hid my beet-red cheeks as I slowly tied my apron around my waist. 

"Are you okay though?"

I turned to her slowly and sat down as I began to untie my shoes, "Kind of. Well, it's complicated."

"Does it have to do with a guy?"

My eyes shot up at her, "Excuse me?"

"Haha, I'm just toying with you!" She replied with a chuckle as she came over and playfully nudged me with her elbow.

I looked down at my shoes, "Oh. Well, its not really anything that has to do with a guy. But I have been getting attention that I don't really want."

Taeyeon grinned as she nudged me again, "So it is a guy. But I do bet you do want the attention though. Everyone does."

Her words seemed to mirror what someone else had said as I stared at the back of her retreating figure.

Everyone wants to be popular, no matter what the say. Everyone wants those fifteen minutes of fame, no matter where or when. 

I shook my head as I followed her out. I didn't really want to think of him.

*          *           *

"Excuse me, mister," I asked softly to one of the only people that were still present at our cafe. "What would you like to have?"

The person slowly shifted his head from watching people and turned around. As soon as his eyes hit mine, they widened with surprise. "S-Soobin-sshi? What are you doing here?"

I gaped, "Luhan-sshi?"

Luhan still looked at me with his bright eyes but he broke out into a smile nevertheless, "You work here?"

"You figured?" I asked slowly, pointing to my all-black uniform.

"I suppose you're right," Luhan replied, laughing.

"What would you like to drink?" I repeated my question, this time keeping a rather business-like edge.

"Ah!" Luhan replied, his cheeks already turning a bit pink, as he scanned the menu, "Sorry about that. Hot chocolate sounds good."

"Right away, mister." 

I turned slowly back to the counter where I swear to God, Taeyeon was laughing at the entire encounter. When I began to warm up some milk, she came over and whispered, "Is that the boy?"

"No," I answered truthfully.

"Oh. It probably would've been better if he was. I mean, his father just came in this afternoon, while you were at school, and bought this place. He told me his son will be here and possibly re-model this place."

"Re-model?" I turned to her slowly, almost dreading the answer.

Taeyeon nodded grimly, "Yes. Though I do suppose that's just a fancy way of saying firing us."

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

 

Sorry for the late update!

Hehe, it seems as if Soobin has a certain crush on someone~ Though, I'll explain more of the backstory later. Thanks to lilly6198 for the cute poster!

Also, I wrote a one-shot which is why I haven't updated, featuring Luhan and Yixing, check it out: Sixty Seconds. I would really appreciate it if you did!

Comment and subscribe!!