Phone Call

Shadows

Sohee opened her eyes and tried to lift her head.  She was filled with exhaustion.  Her head slammed itself back into the fluffy pillow.  She groaned in pain as she tried to move her sore muscles.  

"Oh, Heather!  You're awake!" her partner, Baekhyun, poked his head into her doorway.  

"Don't call me that, Baek," she bit her lip through the pain.

It seemed like eons ago, when she was finally admitted into EXO's squad.  She remembered training constantly until her limbs were numb and about to fall off.  Her heart raced at the thought of her ceremony.  She could still hear her code name ring in her ears.  Sohee.  Sohee.  Sohee.

"Are you okay?" Baekhyun snapped her out of her daydream.

"What does it look like?" she replied grumpily.

He shook his head.  "You should've waited for help."

"How can you wait for help when someone's hot on your trail?"

Baekhyun looked down.  "It's just that...you're different.  I'm worried about you."

She looked deep into his eyes.   

"You're different," he repeated.  "It scares me when you do stuff like that."  He pressed a cold cloth onto her hot forehead.

She sighed and closed her eyes as she felt the cold water drip down her feverish face.  He felt her forehead and sighed.  He brought the cloth back to the bowl of cold water in his lap and placed it on her forehead again.

"Your fever is higher than I thought," he observed quietly.

"Where are the others?" she asked, unconcerned about her health.

"They're at the other apartment," he replied.  

Silence.

"Are they okay?" she asked.

"Sehun's worried sick about you," he squeezed the water onto her cheeks.  "Some minor injuries, but yeah, they're okay."

She stared at the ceiling.  "Of course he'd be worried," she thought.  Her brother, Sehun, was actually the one who got her into this mess.  Why wouldn't he be worried?  

"I'll be right back," Baekhyun said and struggled to get up from the chair at the side of her bed.  

She noticed him limping as he started towards the door.  "What happened?"

He turned around and smiled.  "Ah, nothing.  It's just a sprain."

"Did you treat it?" her worried expression was unchanging.

He lifted the cuff of his sweats to reveal his milky skin embracing a tough bandage.  She nodded, and he walked out.

--

"Sohee!" EXO shouted with joy as she walked into the small apartment with Baekhyun.

"How are you feeling?" Sehun asked as he embraced his little sister.

She breathed in his scent and felt safe.  "I'm fine."

--

"So, he got away?" Sohee asked with disappointment in her voice.

"Yeah," Sehun nodded.  "We were really close though."

She looked down at her hands.  "It's getting harder and harder to find them."

For about three years, now, EXO and Sohee have been trying to find the culprit to a massive explosion that occured at their main headquarters.  The bombing killed nearly everyone and wiped out entire files of valuable information.  

"What do we do?" Chanyeol, the boy next to Sehun, asked innocently.

Luhan, sitting next to him, pat his back reassuringly.

"It almost feels like we're...losing them," Sohee said quietly.  "I mean, we know their tricks and tactics.  It almost seems like they're getting more clever."

Kris, sitting across from her, furrowed his thick eyebrows.  EXO's leader, Suho, looked down at his cup of coffee.  Lay, sitting next to Suho, looked outside sleepily.  The five boys on the couch, Xiumin, D.O., Chen, Tao, and Kai, glanced at each other.

"You could be right," Suho said after a while.  

Suddenly, Sohee's cellphone rang.  She looked at the ID cautiously.  It was an unknown number.

With a small nod from Baekhyun, she answered.  "Hello?"

"Please," a weak voice cracked on the other line.  "Please."

Sohee's eyes widened.  It was her younger sister's voice.  "Iris."

Sehun glanced at Sohee with a look of shock.  "Who is it?"

She looked at him with worry.  "It's Iris."

"Heather!" Sohee heard her sister scream.

"Iris," Sohee tried to sound calm.  "Where are you?"

Another voice sounded.  "If you want your sister alive, give up."  The line went dead.

Sohee slowly lowered the phone from her ear.  Her breaths were shaky.  She looked up to see Sehun and EXO looking at her with inquiring expressions.

"They have her.  They have Iris."