Forgetting

Forever to Never (MBLAQ oneshots)

It might seem that the sun is around the corner

That the clouds will make way for a blue sky

And that the rain will bring us beautiful flowers

 

            I look at your sad face as you fall down on the couch.  Another audition.  Another no.  And it’s the same thing every week.  You’ve been dreaming of being a singer for so long but it seems like you’ve set yourself up for disappointment.  Your sister tells you not to give up. She’s been through this before.  And all I can be is the girlfriend who will support you.  When I look at you I can’t believe they would reject such a cute face like yours.  When I hear you rap I can’t believe they would reject such a unique voice as yours.  And then when I hear you sing, I want to hit those company presidents who rejected you, because you’re perfect.  And a part of me is selfish.  I want you to myself.  If you get accepted would you have to leave me?  I can’t live with that, but I can’t live with you being this sad every day.

            But one day you get that phone call.  And you’re excited because you’ve been chosen to be a last minute addition to the band MBLAQ because one of their members dropped out.  And I see that smile on your face and I feel like the sun has finally rounded that corner.  And even though I’m so happy, a part of me is wondering what will happen to us.  Don’t you have to go to Korea?  Will you leave me?  So you prepare to leave and you’re ready to go in a few days. 

 

And we might say this

And we might believe this

But we know this isn’t true

 

            “Nothing will change between us.  We can make this work,” Cheondung grabs my hand as we sit on the swings of our old elementary school, the place where he first kissed me when I was crying so hard because I fell off the swing and scratched my knee. 

            And I can’t look at him.  I can’t look into those eyes, knowing that they would be thousands of miles away in only a few days.  And I can’t imagine my life without him because we’ve been friends since kindergarten and we’ve been dating since eighth grade.  I want to tell him not to leave me.  But I can’t be selfish, and deep down inside I know there’s no way our relationship can work with thousands of miles between us and only a few visits to see each other. 

 

No matter how much we want it

Even if I know I love you

Even if you don’t want to let go

This can’t work

It doesn’t work

It will never work

 

            “You still want to continue this, don’t you?” Cheondung grabs my chin and gently tilts my head up so our eyes meet.  Once I look into those eyes, I burst into tears.  I don’t want to do this.  I would rather do anything then what I’m about to do, but I have to.

            “We need to break up,” I say through my tears.  Cheondung understands what I’m doing but he doesn’t agree.

            “No….we’ll make this work.  We can do it.”  I see him start tearing up and he grabs me closer to him, capturing my lips into a perfect kiss.  A last kiss. 

            When we break apart he looks at me, “I’m not going to let you go.  I love you too much to do that.” 

            “But you need to focus on your dream,” I say as I touch his cheek.  I can’t help wondering if this is the last time I’m going to do this.

 

So I need to walk away

So you can live better

Even if I don’t want to

You need to walk away

And forget

 

            I turn away before I take back what I said.  I want to.  A part of me has died, but I know if we’re together, he won’t focus on his dream.  I know that his president won’t be happy if he had a girlfriend.  I know the fangirls would go crazy if they found out.  I’m doing this for him, whether he believes it’s a bad choice or not.  Maybe he’ll forget me.  Maybe he’ll be happy and find someone else. 

            “But you’re my dream too,” Cheondung says but he stays where he is.  I stop and look back at him.  He has tears streaming down his cheeks and I think I see a ring in his hand.  And I get a sudden flashback.

           

 

Forget the nights under the stars

Forget the sweet kisses we shared

And the time we said I love you

Forget the tears we shed today

When we both walk away

Make it easy by forgetting me

 

“Hey wait up.  I want to try this,” Cheondung grabs my hand to stop me at a toy machine.  He puts in a quarter and navigates the claw to pick up a black box.  When it drops out at the bottom he picks it up and hands it to me.

            “What is it?” I say as I open it and laugh as I see a ring with a fake diamond on it. 

            “Hmmmm maybe I should keep this for the future,” he grins as he slips it into his pocket. 

            “In the future, it better be real!  We’re in eighth grade after all; you have years to save.” 

            Back in the present, Cheondung comes towards me with the ring.  He puts the fake ring into my hand.

            “In a few years I’ll be able to give you a real one.  I don’t care if you want to break up with me.  I’m going to keep loving you.  You’re going to have to deal with it.”

            And when I look at him, I know that what he’s saying is true.  And maybe this can work.

 

Yay happy ending :D  I originally was going to have them really breaking up but after I started writing the story I coudn't find the heart to do it.  Doongie you better earn more so you can really buy that ring :)