What if We Were Romeo and Juliet

Forever to Never (MBLAQ oneshots)

            “This is outrageous!” Joon slammed his hand on the table, making me jump back slightly at his frustration.

            “They just can’t do something like that!” Joon suddenly got up.  He was now pacing back and forth around my bedroom. 

            “But they did,” I look down glumly at my floral bedspread and kick my slipper with the tip of my toe. 

            “But it’s unheard of,” Joon turned to me.  His expression was of shock, anger, frustration, and fear.

            “I know,” I agree with a small voice.  I didn’t want to believe my parents would force something like this upon me.  We were in modern times after all.  Why would something like this even come up…especially now.  They sprung the news on me just as I came home from school. 

            “You are getting married to our old family friend’s son.”

            And that was it.  No arguments.  No backing out.  This had to be done. 

            And what was worse was Joon was there.  We aren’t an official couple but there’s an unspoken agreement that we’re dating.  My parents never approved of me dating anyone so we never put a label to what we were.  But he is definitely my boyfriend; he has been for three years.  It’s getting pretty serious and I assume my parents sprung this news on me just because of it. 

            “I’ve got it!” Joon grabbed onto my hands and pulled me towards him, “Let’s run away!”

            Yes that pabo is my boyfriend.  And he might be outrageous at times and a little childish.  He thinks up the most un-logical ideas but I love him unconditionally.  And I’ve been in love with him for a long time.  He knows me the best and I can’t imagine being without him.  I might  seem calm on the outer surface but the idea of marrying a complete stranger, who is not Joon, scares the freaking daylight saving times out of me.  And I don’t even think I’ll be alive to go through with it if it actually happens. 

            “Come on!  You’re not marrying this guy.  I’m not letting you!” Joon opened my closet and started getting clothes from the rack and putting them on my bed. 

            “Come on Juliet!  We’re running away!”

            “Well Romeo I don’t think this is the best idea.  Just think about this for a moment,” I pull him by the hand to the bed beside me and sit on his lap, “We have no money.  We’re barely adults.  Where will we stay?  On the street?  Die of hypothermia?  Do you want us to die tragically like Romeo and Juliet actually did?”

            “But at least we’d be together.  I can’t stand the idea of you marrying someone else.  Who is he again?  Sino?  Should we call him Sino Korean Numbers?” Joon was nuzzling my neck. 

            “His name is Sign-he or something.  Sunggo?” I try to remember but I honestly don’t want to waste the effort of thinking about who my supposed future husband will be.  It hurts too much to even think about it. 

            “Please leave with me.  I’ll figure everything out.  Just please,” Joon is looking at me with big eyes.  His pout is adorable and it’s not like he’s putting it on to convince me.  This is what he genuinely looks like when he’s sad. 

            “I can’t.  I want to, but it’s un-logical.”

            “And since when are you logical when it comes to love?” Joon hugs me tighter. 

            “I…I’m not.  It’s just.” 

            There’s a sudden knock on my door and I hear my dad’s loud voice ring through the crack underneath the door. 

            “The Yangs are here! Please come out!” 

            Joon’s mouth drops and he looks at me with piercing eyes.

            “He’s here?”

            I look at him guiltily, “They want us to meet.”

            Joon’s about to go to my door, no doubt wanting to kill my future husband, but I pull him back.

            “It’s only one meeting.  Just to make my parents happy.  It’s really nothing!”  I push him towards the window and I know he won’t object.  At least I’m hoping he won’t.  I don’t think I can handle a full-on rebelling Joon.

 

            I walk down the staircase and immediately I meet his honey brown eyes.  He’s sitting on the couch a little uncomfortably.  His reddish brown hair contrasts with our parents, who all have coal black hair.  While our parents dress conservatively, his dress suit just looks awkward on him. 

            “Finally!  You’re here!” my mom runs over to me and pats my hair down. 

            “This is Seungho!  You’re future husband.” 

            I see Seungho look away uncomfortably.  Apparently the idea of marrying me seems to flatter him just about as much as it does to me. 

            “We’ll leave you two alone to get to know each other,” his dad says.  I see him squeeze Seungho’s shoulders and then he gets up from the couch.  As one, our parents leave the living room. 

            I don’t move from my spot and he looks at me uncertainly. 

            “You can sit if you want.  I’m not going to attack you,” he motions to the couch opposite his.  I slowly walk over to it. 

            “I don’t want to marry you,” I say bluntly as I sit down.

            I see his eyes widen slightly at this, “I don’t think we get a choice.  If I had a choice, I would try to find true love…but,” he looks at me with those eyes, “Maybe we can fall in love.”

            “NO WAY!” I hear Joon mentally scream in my head.  Even Seungho jumps in the air slightly.  Did he just read my thoughts?

            “I’m sorry but I’ve already found my one true love…as cheesy as it may sound,” I say.

            Seungho grimaces, “But what do you expect me to do?  I’ve tried to talk my parents out of this.  I can try again, but they’re really set on us marrying.” His eyes meet mine and he looks genuinely sad, “I’m sorry.”

            “Our parents must be crazy, arranging something like this,” I say angrily.

            “Hey they didn’t say anything about not divorcing, did they?” Seungho asks me with a smile on his face, “We can get separated immediately after we say I do!”

            “It’s not going to work. I’m sure they thought of everything.”

 

            “Please don’t do this!” Joon pleads me as he sees me put the white dress on the door.

            I can’t even bare to look at him.  I know he’s crying right now and I myself am silently crying.

            “We can still run away!” he grabs me to him. 

            “I’m in so deep right now,” I say silently as I put my head against his chest.  I can hear his heartbeat and feel comforted. 

            “It’s never too deep.  We can do this!  I’ll take care of you!” he pulls my chin up so I have to look into his eyes.  And then our lips are touching in a passionate deep kiss. 

           

            “I can’t believe this is really happening,” I say as I put on the white dress. 

            I hear a knock on my door and I scream, “I’m getting ready, Mom!  Stop breathing down my neck every second!”  My voice is shaking as I look in the mirror.  This isn’t right.  Shouldn’t my wedding day be the happiest day in my life?  But shouldn’t it be with the person I love?  It’s been three months since that first meeting with Seungho.  Seungho is actually a great guy.  He’s caring and talented.  He can do anything!  He’s funny and humble.  I find him a great guy.  But he’s only a good friend.

            The knock is coming again and I storm to the door and fling it open and my eyes widen as I see Seungho, looking nice in a tux.

            “You look great,” he smiles at me. 

            I try to smile but it only comes out looking like an awkward frown. 

            He comes closer to me and I see that he’s holding a necklace in his hand. 

            “I bought this for you. It reminds me of you.  Beautiful as a diamond with a clear set mind.”  He goes around me and puts it on for me. 

            “That’s why you need to go.  You’re not going to be happy with me.” 

            I turn around to face him and he holds onto my hand. 

            “You were going to leave anyway, weren’t you?”

            I nod silently and my gaze veers to something in the corner.  He turns around and smiles as his eyes meet my duffel bag. 

            “Go then.  You have to hurry!” he goes to pick up my duffel bag and puts it into my arms. 

            I nod and I run into the bathroom.  When I come out he’s still there, waiting for me.  He gets up from his seat and hugs me, “It was nice while it lasted.” 

            As I leave the room, I hear him softly say, “Bye beautiful.” 

           

            I leave the church and run to the secret place where I had decided to meet Joon.  He runs to me and picks me up in the air.

            “So are we really doing this, Juliet?”

            “Of course we are!  You’re not going to make me regret this, will you?”

            “Never!” and then Joon pulls me into a kiss.