IX

Melody Of the Night [HIATUS]

After hitting the send key, Baekhyun decided to forget all the things that happened with Xiumin and enjoy the day with Kitty.

The first formal business meeting with his father is coming soon, there wouldn't be much free time since he'll be managing more and more company business after that, might as well as have fun now.


 

A few days had passed, today was Thursday. 

Seon-yul woke up extra early and decided to head out for a nice morning walk at a park near the apartment. Afte dressing up warmly and comfortably, she walked out the door with her violin in hand. 

Stepping out the main door, Seon-yul enhaled the cool refreshing air, it smelled strongly of fresh cut grass and rain. Seon-yul closed her eyes and smiled delightfully as the warm sunlight shone on her face. Already, Seon-yul was sure it's going to be a great day.

The small street was quiet and calm, occasionally joggers would pass by, Seon-yul greeted everyone one of them with a smile. Soon, she arrived at the park. Dozens of squirrels quickly climbed up the trees when they sensed Seon-yul's presence. The grass lay like carpet on the ground. Some patches yellow, some still green.

Following the trail that led around the park, Seon-yul spotted a woodpecker that stood on the tree trunk. Interested by the peculiar bird in front of her, Seon-yul walked under the tree to get a closer look. 

Looking up at the tree trunk, Seon-yul observed the beautiful bird. Suddenly, a drop or morning dew from the leaves dripped on Seon-yul's nose, causing her to jump back in shock. 

"What?" Seon-yul murmured to herself and wiped the water from her nose, unexpectedly earning a light chuckle from someone standing behind her. 

Turning around in surprise, Seon-yul found herself staring at Yixing who was carrying a guitar case. 

Despite that she  was surprised by his sudden appearance, she still greeted him with manner. "Good morning Yixing."

"Morning Seon-yul, that was adorable." He said and smiled.

"Oh... I was just surprised..." Seon-yul replied, sounding slightly embarrassed that Yixing had seen her clumsy actions. 

"Are you taking a stroll in the park?" The gentle boy asked.

"Yes, it's lovely outside today. Just thought it might be good for me to practice in a better environment." Seon-yul answered. "You too?"

"Yes, I was just looking for a good spot to sit and play." Yixing replied.

"Where's Chanyeol?" She asked.

"Still sleeping, he is more of a night owl. Do you want to go find a spot together? We could play to each other." He suggested.

"Sure." Seon-yul nodded.

The two walked and chatted until they found a giant rock under a tree. They decided this was a good place and settled down. Seon-yul took out her violin, and Yixing took out his guitar. 

"Do you wanna go first?" Yixing asked while tuning his instrument.

"No, you go first." Seon-yul said, she really wanted to hear Yixing's song.

"Alright. This song is called Donna Lee." 

He said and took a deep breath before starting. 

(The song below is the one Yixing is playing, except there's no drums)

It was a fun song with a catchy beat. Seon-yul paid close attention when Yixing played. The cheerful tune made Seon-yul feel happy, for a moment, she forgot all her stress.

After the song ended, Yixing looked up at Seon-yul and smiled. "Did you like it?"

"I loved it! That was amazing." Seon-yul exclaimed, she really admired the way he played, he was a very skilled musician.

"Really? It wasn't that good, but glad you liked it, to be honest, this is the first time I actually expressed this song so well." He said modestly and scratched his neck.

"That's good, once you get the hang of a song, you won't forget, so if you try, you play equally good next time, maybe even better." 

"Maybe..." He replied before a the woodpecker's drilling caught Seon-yul's attention. "But it's going to be different though, you won't be around." Yixing said softly, too soft for the distracted girl to hear.

After the little bird watching session, Seon-yul got back on track and apologized for not staying on task.

"Can you play your song now? I would love to hear it." Yixing asked and Seon-yul nodded. 

Positioning her violin in the crevices of her neck, Seon-yul closed her eyes and began to play her song, Salute d'Amour. 

The beautiful violin melody echoed through out the quiet park. It was so smooth, yet intense... Yixing was amazed by Seon-yul's music. It was so echanting, so flawless, so perfect...

Seon-yul played with her eyes closed, she memorized the song perfectly. Yixing's eyes observed the beautiful girl's features, he admired Seon-yul's beauty.

Suddenly, He noticed something in Seon-yul's expression and music, although both seemed extraordinarily beautiful, but slight sorrow and loneliness could be identified.

The reason behind her lonely music was no doubt because her piano partner is absent. Without the support from the piano, the music sounded hollow, but what about her expression? Her expression expressed loneliness and sadness of the girl herself. Why was she so miserable? 

Yixing decided to keep his head out of her business. He didn't want to be so nosy and bothersome. So as the performance neared the ending,  he decided that he'll only talk about the goodness of thr music and praise the girl. She was already sad, and he didn't want ti make her feel worse.

Seon-yul finished the song and let out a great sigh. She didn't play well, in fact, this was probably the worst she had played so far. She just couldn't concentrate with Yixing by her side, this reminded her so much of the dates she had been on with Baekhyun... And maybe even Xiumin. She missed them, both of them. 

"That was great! It sounded fantas-" 

"Stop, it was horrible."

Yixing stood there wide eyed at Seon-yul's words, she knew her song wasn't good... 

"Sorry for interrupting you, but I don't want to hear lies about my music. I knew it sounded sorrowful and lonely although it shouldn't have." Seon-yul apologized and a wave of pain flashed through her eyes.

Yixing stood there speechlessly at her words. After a while, her eyes softened and the girl sat down on the big rock. She looked so vulnerable like a thin piece of amazingly sculptured glass that will shatter any minute. 

Sitting down beside her, Yixing broke the silence. "You need your partner, his piano accompaniment will reduce the loneliness of the music. I think you should go get him, you won't improve without him. Also, if he doesn't start learning the song soon, he won't perfect it in time." He said softly,  but with a serious look in his eyes.

Seon-yul considered what he said for a moment, then nodded at his advising words. It doesn't matter if he is a spoiled rich brat, or the son of the director of the university, she needed him. 

"Thank you very much Yixing, I know what I have to do now. I need to go back and prepare for a trip back to Busan, see you soon." Seon-yul said with gratitude and left the park.

 

~~~~

 

"Son, we have a business meeting with the Byun company today. I understand that you have some business with Byun Baekhyun, I will leave halfway during the meeting, everything will be left in your hand, do you understand?" Mr.Kim said.

"Yes father, may I ask, is this business trade with the Byun company important? If the trade with us is cancelled, will it affect the overall stand of our company?" Xiumin asked.

"No, this is a very minor deal, if not, I would never leave the meeting." Mr.Kim answered assuringly with a softer tone of voice. 

Xiumin thanked his father before leaving to prepare for the meeting. These recent days, his father seemed to be somewhat nicer, and friendly. It didn't nervous him anymore to ask questions or to speak freely around his dad. 

Shuffling through stacks of paper, Xiumin thought of Baekhyun and a smile crept to his lips, he'll regret it, messing with Me and Seon-yul...

 

Baekhyun was nervous, today was his first business meeting he will be attending with his father, an important one too. He got ready early in the morning and prepared all his documents for the meeting. 

Waiting in the meeting room with his dad, Baekhyun sat there in boredom. He knew the meeting was going to be with the Kim's company, if this trade doesn't work out, the Byun's are on the edge of bankruptcy. 

Soon, the sound of footsteps echoed around the hall. Baekhyun and his father exchanged a glance before standing up to greet the guest. 

Baekhyun's eyes widened when he saw not one, but two people entering the room led by the secretary, one older looking man who had a serious disposition and a young boy who looked about his age. Baekhyun recognized him right away, it was the guy who asked him out a couple days ago, threatening him about Seon-yul. 

Suddenly, Baekhyun was afraid, what was he doing here? Xiumin's threatening words returned to Baekhyun's mind. Alright, I was planning to just leave you with a broken arm, but it looks like you deserve something more...

 

Xiumin and Mr.Kim walked down the hallway of Byun's headquarter guided by a secretary who led them to a large bright meeting room. Pushing the door open, two figures quickly stood up to greet them.

Mr.Kim nodded at them while Xiumin threw daggers with his glare at Baekhyun who had a mixture of fear and apprehension on his face.

"Good morning." Mr.Byun said.

"Good morning." Mr.Kim replied seriously. 

"This is my son, Baekhyun, he'll be joining us today with the business discussions." Mr.Byun introduced and patted his son on the back. 

"Nice to meet you sir." The boy bowed sincerely at Mr.Kim who nodded at him.

"This is?" Mr.Byun asked, referring to Xiumin who had been quiet this whole time.

"Hello, my name is Minseok, it's a pleasure meeting you." Xiumin said and also bowed to Mr.Byun.

There was no time for casual chats, the two parties got into discussion right away. First, the two decided on the financial problems, then, they talked about employees and power managing. Baekhyun was partly engaged in the discussion with the elders. Xiumin was silent during the entire meeting until his father was getting ready to leave.

"I guess everything is settled then? Sorry, but excuse me, I have another important meeting at the university. I'll leave the rest of the business to Minseok." Mr.Kim said during the meeting.

"Are you sure? Mr.Kim, Minseok here haven't said even one sentence during the meeting. Is he good enough to deal with all the business issues?" Baekhyun questioned and narrowed his eyes at Xiumin.

"Yes, in fact, all the decision making will also be left for him, goodbye, nice doing business with you." Mr.Kim concluded and left the room.

As soon as the door was shut, Xiumin's expression darkened and Baekhyun. 

"I have all the documents prepared, I'll call the secretary to fetch them now." Mr.Byun said.

"No  no need." Xiumin stopped him and paused for a second, his eyes burnt into Baekhyun's before he resumed his speech. "The deal is off, we're not making any contract."

Immediately, Mr.Byun jumped up from his seat in shock and questioned. "What? Why?"

"Blame no one but your son, Mr,Byun. If you'll excuse me, I need to go." Xiumin replied and smirked at Baekhyun who was stoned. 

"Your father agreed! You can't do this now!" Mr.Byun raised his voice.

"Nope, my father didn't agree to anything, he left the decision making to me." Xiumin said calmly.

"But we're one of your biggest trades, you can't decline our offer, it will affect te future of your company!" Mr.Byun argued.

"Wrong, like father like son, both of you are so arrogant. Byun company doesn't mean anything to us, why do you think my father left during the meeting halfway?" Xiumin stated before standing up and leaving the room.

Before he walked out, Xiumin took one last glance at Baekhyun who looked like he was about to break down. 

"Good day." Xiumin said and smiled at the two, then, he left.