VII

Melody Of the Night [HIATUS]

For the rest of the day, Xiumin took Seon-yul to the park. He tried to cheer the miserable girl up after what she had been through. They ate  lunch at a nearby cafe. Then, he took her to the movies. Finally, once it got dark, the two strolled by the river as they chatted. Although Seon-yul had a good time, her mind was still damaged by her ex. 

Watching Seon-yul entering her house safely, Xiumin made a promise. He vowed that he'll make her forget about Baekhyun, and all the pain she's been through with that bastard.


 

Seon-yul recovered the most she could before leaving for Busan. Although she still couldn't forget about Baekhyun who played her, everything was better under the care of Xiumin. For the recent nights, she finally stopped dreaming about that betrayer. 

Today's the day Seon-yul is leaving for Seoul. She got ready at dawn and headed for the train station before the sun rose. Her dad drove her to the station and helped her with all her luggage. Then, Seon-yul hugged him and went in the station. Her dad waved reluctantly with tears of proudness in his eyes. 

The trip there was long and miserable. It started raining shortly after Seon-yul aboarded the train. The sky was gray as the lightning shined occasionally followed by the deep rumbling of thunder. 

Sitting in her seats, Seon-yul looked out the passing by villages and cows wandering cows on the field. She first thought of Baekhyun, who threw her away... Then of Xiumin, a friendly stranger who helped her through her harships, no not a stranger anymore, he is a friend, a dear friend.

Now, Seon-yul wondered what Xiumin was doing? He mentioned that he'll be also leaving today right? Maybe he is also on a train somewhere... Seon-yul suddenly had a new inspiration for a new song. She quickly took out her notebook and began writing...

 

~~~~

 

The butler walked up the polished stairs, onto the second floor of the building. He stood in front of the young master's room, checking the watch to wake the boy up. Before the old man could do so, the door suddenly swung open and Xiumin stood there, all dressed and ready. 

Startled by the sudden appearance of the boy, the old man nervously pushed up his glasses and cleared his throat. "Good morning young master, it is quiet peculiar to see you up so early today. The train will be waiting for you down the station at 8:00 this morning. I suppose you have all your luggage packed up?" 

"I won't be leaving today, there's some business I need to take care of first." Xiumin replied.

"Oh, then you would have to go through that with your father, anyway, breakfast is ready downstairs." The butler said.

Looking at the wrinkly man that had taken care of him all his life, Xiumin nodded and ran down the stairs. 

"Slow down young master, it is not proper to ran in the house." The old man called out. 

The butler was a nice man alright, he takes care of all the works around the house, organizes schedules for both Xiumin and his father. He had served the Kim family for almost fifty years now, from Xiumin's grandfather all the way to Xiumin. Xiumin doesn't mind him, but he is always formal and proper, making it hard to be comfortable around.

Standing in front of his father's work room, Xiumin knocked on the door. 

"Come in." His father's cold voice said and Xiumin opened the door.

Mr.Kim was sitting at the desk with a stack of paper in front of him. Steam rose from the cup of hot tea sitting by the table as the man picked it up and took a sip before looking up at his son.

"What do you need?"

"Father, is it okay if I delay my trip to Seoul? There's some business I need to take care of here." Unlike other times when Xiumin spoke to his father, he was confident and determined this time. 

"No, you need to make a good first impression at the program, there is no exception on being late." The man answered.

"Please father, I just need a couple of days!" Xiumin pleaded, instinctively raising his voice.

"Is this the way to speak to your father?" 

"I-I'm sorry, but please..." Xiumin begged again.

"Hm... What do you need to do?" The man questioned.

"Crush the Byun company." Xiumin said bitterly. 

His father rose his eyebrows in surprise. Over the years, he has never seen his son so angry before. With a hint of interested tone in his voice, Mr.Kim asked the reason. "Why would you want to do that?" 

"...The son of the Byun family hurt my friend... now he has to pay the price..."

Hearing Xiumin's response, his father couldn't believe his ears, when had his son become so entangled in friendship?

Although on the outside Mr.Kim seemed extra cold and strict to his son, he actually cared very much. Xiumin's friendship had always been a concern to Mr.Kim. To tell the truth, Xiumin doesn't have any real good friends. Most people befriended him when they learn about his heritage and richness. Sure, his son was good looking and attracted girls, but none of them met Mr.Kim's expectations. Except for one though... that violin girl named Seon-yul, but she already had a boyfriend...

Now that he found out Xiumin had a friend who he cared about, Mr.Kim's mood lit up. "Alright... Do what you have to." He said.

"Thank you, father." Xiumin thanked him and left the room. 

After breakfast, Xiumin was at work to make sure Baekhyun learns his lesson. He researched all about the Byun company and their economic gross rates. He found out that the Byun company wasn't doing so well in the recent years. In fact, they are on the edge of bankruptcy, their trade with the University is what's going to keep the company going for the next couple month. 

Xiumin then found Baekhyun's number and made a call.

"Hello? Who's this?" A male voice answered.

"I need to speak to you directly. Would tomorrow morning be an okay time for us to meet?" Xiumin said coldly.

"Who are you?"

"Would tomorrow morning be okay?" Xiumin repeated the question.

"Haha, you sure are brave enough to ignore my question. Yeah I have time tomorrow morning, but make the meeting quick, I have a date with my girlfriend." Baekhyun replied.

Xiumin was about to flip when he heard Baekhyun already had a girlfriend. How could he betray Seon-yul and forget her so easily? Xiumin cursed in his mind but kept a steady tone. "10:00 at in front of the Byun Company headquarters. I'll be waiting." 

"Are you gay? Because you sound like a creepy stalker right now. Just saying, I have no interest in guys. But alright, see you." Baekhyun rudely insulted Xiumin and hang up. 

I swear Byun Baekhyun, I will make you cry and beg for mercy on my feet... You are unforgivable. 

 

~~~~

 

The first day was a tiring day, Seon-yul moved in to an apartment her parents rented for her. It was a nice one roomed apartment with a largebathroom and a bright kitchen. The living room was roomy enough and the place was newly renovated. After she had settled in with all the beds, furnitures and her stuff, it was already 3:00 and she still hadn't had lunch yet. Taking her purse with her, Seon-yul headed out.

Walking to the elevator, she found another male waiting for the elevator. He noticed her approaching and quickly greeted.

"Hey there." The person said, he looked about the same age as Seon-yul with a playful smile. He was absolutely gorgeous... his one distinctive feature was his ear, actually, his height was pretty impressive too. 6 feet 2, as Seon-yul estimated.

"Hello! Do you hear me?" The boy said as he waved his hand in front of Seon-yul's face. 

"Hi..." The girl quickly snapped back to reality and quickly bowed formally. 

"Did you just move in? Never seen you before." The boy asked.

"Yep, just today." Seon-yul replied.

"Where did you move from?" 

"A place in Busan." 

"Oh, that's quite far! I can show you around if you'd like." The tall boy offered.

"That would be wonderful, but I am starving right now."

"I'm going for lunch too! Let's go together." 

"Sounds good." 

The two had lunch together, Seon-yul learned that his name was Chanyeol and he was also a candidate of the music program. Having a friend in this unfamilliar city made Seon-yul feel a lot better. She wanted to text Xiumin, but she doesn't have a data plan in Seoul yet... It's just a couple days and she already missed him...

 

Seon-yul and Chanyeol went together to the University next morning. Everything was so different for Seon-yul. Being a special class, there was a special classroom across the University yard in a lone building. 

All the students gathered at 7:30 sharp at the classroom. The professor was a stricked old man who talked very loudly at people's faces. The lesson of the day began with the babbling from this teacher.

"My name is Mr.Bo, before I start teaching, here's something you guys should know. There are 50 of you sitting here today, all chosen from across the country even from China and Japan. You guys are the best. But in this program, only the most talented out of the best were chosen, after this first year, 30 of you will be eliminated from this program, only 20 will be able to continue on. Of course, if you do make it, your futures will be brightly lit." 

After hearing this shocking news, everybody complained. "I wouldn't have came if I knew this beforehand!" A female student with a heavy accent said loudly. Immediately, the teacher walked up to her. 

"Get out then, now that you know." Mr.Bo said. 

"What?" The girl looked at him in shock.

"Get out, I don't want you here anymore." The old man repeated.

"I was joking, I'm sorry sir!" The girl apologized and began panicking. 

"Get out." He said one final time and opened the door, the girl hesitantly walked out and turned to Mr.Bo before leaving.

"I may return tomorrow, right?" She asked, clearly on the edge of crying. 

"No. Go back to Japan." With that, he shut the door on the girl's face and then returned to the front of the class. Everyone was silent, to afraid to do anything after watching a student getting send away. 

"So, not much for me to say, your first project is due two weeks from now. Find a piece and play it. Doesn't matter what level, this will be worth 30 percent of your final mark. According to the instruments all of you specialize in, I have placed you into reasonable partnerships." Mr.Bo said.

All the students were surprised by this assignment, it seemed extremely easy, yet hard... Then, Mr.Bo announced the partnerships. Seon-yul listened carefully. She heard Chanyeol getting paired up with a guy named Yixing... Then, at the end of the list, she heard her pairing.

"Minseok and Seon-yul." The teacher said and dismissed everyone. "Your next class will be the same time, next week, practice hard." 

Students started leaving with their partners. Seon-yul sighed deeply at her partnership. Minseok was the son of the director of the school. To her, he is a rich spoiled brat who have not been through any hardships to know how cruel the world is. But of course, she has never met him yet, or so she thought.

Looking around, she spotted no one that could be Minseok, after all students left, there was only a girl sitting there who was partners with that Japanese girl whi was kicked out. 

Looking around in frustration, she walked up to Mr.Bo. " Sir, my partner isn't here." Seon-yul said.

"Minseok? His dad just called saying he won't be here for a while." Mr.Bo replied. 

"What? But our assignment is due two weeks from now!"

"It's not my problem, the only this I'm looking for is the presentation, if it couldn't be completed by due date, you fail." Mr.Bo said.

"What?" Seon-yul exclaimed and walked out in frustration. 

Wow, this spoiled brat... it's easy for him to skip and be okay if his dad is the director of university, but don't get me ruined, I ain't got nobody to stand up for me...