XI

Melody Of the Night [HIATUS]

Who is that? Trespassing our property this late? Xiumin tensed up and drove quicker to catch up to the person walking in front. Getting closer, he could tell the figure was female. She had a backpack on and was holding something in her hand. 

The girl up ahead sensed the car light and engine, she quickly turned around.

Xiumin's eyes widened as he recognized that girl.

"Seon-yul?" 


 

The girl almost cried out in joy when she heard a car engine approaching from the distance. Just a few minutes ago, she was sure she had gotten lost on Mr. Kim, the headmaster's giant property. She had passed a pond, a small patch of trees, but the road ahead seemed to have no end. Everything around her was enveloped in darkness of the night. 

Looking at the approaching vehicle, she inhaled the fresh chilly night air of the great outdoors. "Thank god, I'm saved... Who knows what's out there in those fields..." She murmured to herself.

As the car gradually got closer, a smile of relief formed on Seon-yul's face. Although she cannot exactly tell who it was, a sign of human being was enough to calm Seon-yul's worried mind.

Seon-yul's mood changed the second she laid her eyes on the vehicle in front of her. A white sports car was present in front of her eyes. It looked brand new and was well polished as it gleamed under the moonlight. 

This is a sign of the wealth from the family of the Minseok, the head master's son... Seon-yul thought unhappily. Sure, she was glad to see a sign of human life amongst the wilderness of Mr. Kim’s front yard, but just thinking of the arrogant riches annoyed her. 

Soon enough, Seon-yul's opinion once again changed when she almost fainted upon the sight of the handsome young driver. 

"Xiumin?" She exclaimed, breaking the silence of the night. Questions instantly rushed into her mind when she saw the friend she had missed so much during her absence in Seoul.

The young driver quickly stopped the car and hopped off. He was both shocked and happy to see Seon-yul here, standing in front of him. 

"Seon-yul! What are you doing here? I thought you were away from Busan?" Xiumin exclaimed in happiness and confusion.

"That's the question I should be asking you! What are you doing at Mr. Kim’s so late at night?" Seon-yul questioned and walked towards the boy she longed to see every night.

"My house is up ahead, I am coming home from a meeting in the morning." Xiumin replied.

Seon-yul's jaws dropped upon Xiumin's answer, "your house?"

"Yes, my... house." 

"But, but I thought Mr. Kim only had one son, and that's Minseok," Seon-yul said, feeling lost.

He gazed at her for a moment, and then with a warm smile on his face, Xiumin held his hands out for a shake. "Good evening Seon-yul, my name is Kim Minseok, but you can called me Xiumin." He introduced and silently prayed that nothing would change between them after Seon-yul found out about his real identity.

Seon-yul was taken back for a second. Xiumin was Minseok, the supposedly arrogant, self-centered only son of the wealthy Kim family... After her mind finally accepted the fact, she hesitantly reached out for Minseok's hand. As soon as her hand came in contact with his, Minseok tightened his grip and pulled her into a warm, welcoming hug.

Seon-yul yelped in surprise by his sudden action, although it was extremely uncomfortable for her to be hugging a handsome friend her age of the opposite gender, she awkwardly went along with it.

Out of her conciseness, Seon-yul was hopelessly attracted to his warmth and closeness. Inhaling his fresh lemon detergent scent, she was overdosed by his fragrance, it was a warm, dry and refreshing smell, it reminded Seon-yul of the bright autumn sun.

In Minseok's embrace, she felt dizzy. Her cheeks were warm and flushed. Minseok ran his hand down her soft long hair that gently flowed in the wind and whispered into her ear. "Having fun there? How long are you going to cling on to me?" 

Upon his teasing voice, Seon-yul quickly jumped away from Minseok who chuckled at her actions. Feeling extremely embarrassed, Seon-yul turned away and apologized for her behavior, "Sorry, I'm so sorry, I don't know what's gotten into me..." 

"Don't worry about it, I can't help it if I'm attractive." Minseok replied with a smirk on his flawless face. 

Seon-yul looked at him wide eyed, sure, he looked exactly like Xiumin... but his actions were nothing like the humble, gentle Xiumin she knew, instead, he acted like Minseok, arrogant and flirty. 

Minseok offered her a ride to his house, Seon-yul accepted. 

Sitting beside Minseok who was focused on the road ahead of him, Seon-yul remembered the important task she came here for. 

"Xiumin, you have to come to Soul with me for the music classes. There'll be a evaluation the week after next week, it will be worth quite a lot of our grades. The project is supposed to be a duet with your partner. We are allowed any song of any level, but it must be perfected by next week. Apparently, half of the students will get cut after the first semester." Seon-yul's tone was filled with worry as she explained.

"And you are my partner?" Minseok replied.

"Yes, that's why I came to find you. I've already learned my part of the song, but it sounds terrible without your piano accompaniment."

"What song are we playing?" Minseok asked.

"Salute d'Amour, it's a violin piano duet song I like." Seon-yul answered.

"Alright, I've heard it before." Minseok responded as the car entered the giant garage with a couple of other vehicles.

Seon-yul looked around in amazement, "I can't believe you never told me you were this rich..."

"You never asked, surprised, my princess?" Minseok replied casually.

"Princess?"

"What?"

"Nothing..." Seon-yul quickly responded and looked away. 

 

The two walked up the grand fancy door of the Kim's. The handsome white facades were painted white, warm welcoming lights shone from dozens of the large windows that ran down the wall in a neat pattern. Minseok rang the doorbell and almost immediately, it was opened by an old man dressed formally in a black vest over white clothing that was buttoned up neatly to his neck.

"Welcome home young master." The old man lowered his head as a greet to Minseok and turned to Seon-yul, "good evening Madame." He said and bowed the same way he did to Minseok.

"Good evening..." Seon-yul replied to the old man, she suddenly felt nervous due to the formal serious atmosphere inside the mansion. Glancing to the side, she noticed that Minseok's expression also changed inside the luxurious house and gulped in fear.

"Prepare a room upstairs for Seon-yul please," Minseok ordered the old man and turned to Seon-yul, "have you had dinner yet?" he asked, Seon-yul shook her head. "Me neither, let's eat together," he said to Seon-yul invitingly and turned back to the old man, "tell Miriam to cook some good food."  

"Yes, young master." With that, the old man hurried down the hall way. 

Seon-yul looked around in amazement, the mansion looked big on the outside, but it was even huger from the inside. A wide hall way led down the house with several rooms on the side, and two staircases circled around and led upstairs where more rooms could be spotted. 

"May I?" Minseok said and pointed to the suitcase Seon-yul pulled behind her.

She stared at him for a moment and nodded as he took the luggage from her hand.

"It is really okay for me stay without permission from Mr. Kim?" Seon-yul asked uneasily.

"Of course, you are my guest tonight." He replied and sent her an assuring smile. 

"Thank you very much for everything, Minseok." 

His eyebrows furrowed up, "what did you just call me?" He asked, somehow, she suddenly sounded distant when she called him by his real name.

"I thought it would be proper to call you Minseok since that is your real name..." 

"No, no, please don't call me that... I don't want to lose the only person that I can be around comfortably..." Minseok mumbled.

"Pardon me?"

"Just don't call me that, please." Xiumin said and avoided her gaze.

"Alright, so, where are we going now?" Seon-yul asked.

"My music room, I think we should try out the song and wait until dinner's ready." Minseok replied.

"Okay..." Seon-yul looked around as they passed by room.

"This is it, let's go." He stopped in front of a door.

Seon-yul looked back down the hall, all the rooms looked identical to her, including the one they were standing in front of. "Xiumin, you better not leave me okay?" Somehow, when she said it, the sentence came out wrong, her voice sounded whiny and soft. Minseok froze and looked at her. She immediately turned pink and shook her head furiously. "Not that way! I mean I'll get lost in your house if you leave me!" 

He chuckled at her behavior and took her hand, "Don't worry, I won't leave you here." Then, he pulled her inside the music room. 

In the center of the room sat a grand piano, it looked elegant and expensive. The silky curtains on the large window waved as the cool night wind gently blew. The room was very spacious, other than the piano, only a leather sofa was placed by the corner of the room with a little table set in front of it.

Minseok set Seon-yul's suitcase by the side and walked toward the grand piano, "Shall we begin?" He asked.

"Okay, here's your music sheet." Seon-yul quickly dug out some neatly folded paper from her bag and passed it to Minseok who studied it for a moment before placing it on the stand.

"May I hear your part?" 

"Oh, yes.” Seon-yul nodded and took her violin out.

Minseok watched her as she played. It had been a while since he last heard her music. The Xiumin two months ago who hid in the trees could never have imagined how close they were becoming. He smiled to himself as the melody echoed through the room.

 

"Alright, I should practice my part now. That sounded beautiful, I'm sure we'll A's the test!" Minseok said.

He played his part over and over while Seon-yul listened to him, giving him suggestions and encouragements.  She was surprised by how fast he was learning it. Soon, after a few times, he was already able to play his part smoothly with no problem at all. 

"Do you want to try to put it together now?" Seon-yul asked in satisfaction after listening to Minseok's performance. 

"Alright... but I'm still not that good yet." He agreed hesitantly. 

Both of them got ready, and with one exchange of looks, they began playing.

"That was wonderful..." Seon-yul exclaimed after the song was finished, Minseok nodded in agreement. 

"Let's do that again." Minseok said, but before Seon-yul could respond, knockings on the door interrupted the two.

"Minseok, open up," Mr. Kim’s voice boomed.

"Yes, father." He quickly got up and opened the door for his dad.

Seon-yul quickly greeted Mr. Kim with a bow. The man looked at Seon-yul, the look of shock flashed across his face, but he quickly returned his attention to Minseok. 

"Come with me son," he looked at the girl with a violin in hand, "Seon-yul is it? Your dinner is served at the dining room. Our butler will be waiting for you there." With that, Mr. Kim pulled Minseok away, leaving Seon-yul alone in the room.

The dazed girl stood there for a moment, and finally, heaving a sigh, she set her Violin down and walked out of the room. Taking a looked down the hallway, Seon-yul froze in her spot when she realizes she had no idea where the dining room was.

"You said you weren't going to leave me... Liar..."