X

Melody Of the Night [HIATUS]

Sitting down beside her, Yixing broke the silence. "You need your partner, his piano accompaniment will reduce the loneliness of the music. I think you should go get him, you won't improve without him. Also, if he doesn't start learning the song soon, he won't perfect it in time." He said softly,  but with a serious look in his eyes.

Seon-yul considered what he said for a moment, then nodded at his advising words. It doesn't matter if he is a spoiled rich brat, or the son of the director of the university, she needed him. 

"Thank you very much Yixing, I know what I have to do now. I need to go back and prepare for a trip back to Busan, see you soon." Seon-yul said with gratitude and left the park.


 

Seon-yul hesitantly dialed Mr. Bo’s number into her phone. After a moment, someone picked up.

"Hello?" Mr. Bo’s deep voice boomed.

"Um... Good afternoon Mr. Bo. This is Seon-yul speaking." The nervous girl said.

"Seon-yul?" Mr. Bo repeated as if this name doesn't ring a bell.

"Yes, Seon-yul from your class." She reminded him.

"Right, right. What business do you have with me at this hour? I'm with my grandson." Mr. Bo spoke with a hint of annoyance.

Mr. Bo is playing with his grandson? Everyone has a soft side to them... Seon-yul thought as an image of Mr. Bo playing with a kindergarten child on the ground formed in her head. 

"Are you done your math!?" Suddenly, the beautiful image in Seon-yul's mind shattered as she heard the scolding Mr. Bo gave to his grandson.

"So, what are you calling for?" Mr. Bo returned his attention to Seon-yul.

"I was just wondering if you could give me my music partner's address, I'm going back to Busan to find him." Seon-yul asked.

There was a pause, then Mr. Bo spoke, "Alright, I'll go see if I could find it." 

"Thank you very much!" Seon-yul exclaimed, earning a grunt as a response.

 

 ~~~~

 

After the meeting with Baekhyun, Xiumin was glad he was able to turn the Byun Company off and help get Seon-yul's revenge. Driving down the noisy afternoon street, Xiumin thought about Seon-yul. It has only been a week and he already missed her.

Xiumin considered texting her, but she mentioned something about not having a cell phone plan anymore. Sighing, he wished that Seon-yul would contact him soon and he could tell her about Baekhyun. 

Xiumin didn't know where he should head to next. The business with the Byun Company had been taken care of. After a moment of consideration, he decided to head home and pack for the music program in Seoul. He already had a place to stay in Seoul.

The Kim family owned a rather nice apartment there. Yes, a whole apartment, all the floors and rooms. It was a building for the professors from his dad's university to stay while they were visiting the University of Seoul. But no one really goes there nowadays, so therefore, it became an apartment for rent to university students.

Suddenly, the ringing of his cell phone interrupted Xiumin's thoughts and the boy pulled the car over to the side of the street.

"Hello?" 

"H-hello..." A voice said, Xiumin immediately recognized that voice and a look of annoyance appeared on his face.

"What do you want?" Xiumin asked harshly.

"Can I meet up with you and talk about it? I am sorry about Seon-yul, and I understand if you hate me, but please don't drag the company into our business." Baekhyun pleaded. 

Just when Xiumin was about to hang up on him, the sorrow and despair in his voice stopped Xiumin and made him reconsider his decision. Xiumin was shaken and confused by his feelings, should he help Baekhyun? But that man did so much rotten things to hurt Seon-yul... 

"I think about it..." Xiumin replied after a moment of thinking.

"Thank you..." 

With that, Xiumin quickly hung up and sighed deeply. Massaging his temple, Xiumin was frustrated and confused. Should he forgive Baekhyun? That wasn't an option, there is no way Xiumin will let him off the hook after he broke her heart. But the Byun Company doesn't deserve to fall just because of one's personal conflict. 

Xiumin sat there and thought until an elderly woman tapped on his car window. Looking up in confusion, he opened the window to communicate with the woman.

"You are not supposed to park here, there is s parking lot down the road." The woman said and pointed down the road. Xiumin nodded i embarrassment and quickly drove away.

Did I really park for that long? I was just stopping to pick up the phone. Xiumin thought and drove down the road. 

For the Baekhyun business, Xiumin decided to do something he never dared to try before, asking his dad, Mr. Kim for suggestions. 

Checking the time, it was 2:21, Xiumin realized he hadn't had lunch yet, he decided to put the Baekhyun business aside and go get something to eat. 

Pushing open the door to a fast food restaurant, the delicious smell of fries and burgers made Xiumin's stomach growl in hunger. Walking up to the front counter, a pretty cashier greeted him.

"Hello sir, what would you like?" She said in a sweet voice, she had a perfectly shaped face, big sparkling eyes, a small nose and pink full lips.

Battling her eyelashes, she checked out the man standing in front of her. He looked wealthy with a thin Jacket that's neatly buttoned. Like his appearance, his face was equally attractive. 

Xiumin ordered salad, a burger, and fries along with a drink. 

Sitting alone in a seat, Xiumin ate in peace while the pretty cashier lady's eyes glued on him, but Xiumin didn't take even one glance at her after ordering. He wasn't interested in woman no matter how pretty they were. Overall, Xiumin never enjoyed getting flattered by the opposite . Well, Seon-yul is another case.

After the late Lunch, Xiumin decided to call his dad who should be finishing his meeting by now. 

Dialing the old man's number in the car, he wondered what he should say, how he should ask. 

"Hello?"

"Hey dad..."

"Minseok?"

"Yes, it's me, if you are not busy right now, may I ask you for some advice?" Xiumin asked sincerely.

"Go ahead; I'm just on my way to my office for some work." 

"So... Baekhyun called me, and begged me to allow the deal with the Byun company. He wished I wouldn’t crush a company just because of personal conflict. I've been thinking, but he had a point there..."

"So you can't decide what to do?"

"Yes..."

"Alright, this is your business; you are going to have to deal with it yourself in the future. But I will help you this time. Think about it, who are you doing this or?"

"A friend of mine..." Seon-yul.

"What reason?"

"Baekhyun betrayed her and hurt her." 

On the other line, Mr. Kim paused in surprise. So Minseok's friend is a girl? "Okay, and would she really want you to do this to Baekhyun?"

"...I don't know..." Xiumin answered after a moment of consideration. A new question formed in his mind, this question confused him even more. Would Seon-yul be happy after knowing what I did or would she be upset? She would definitely be happy since it's Baekhyun who cheated on her. But knowing Seon-yul, she'll probably feel bad for anyone whose family will be broke... 

"Take a moment and think for yourself, I'll have to go now." Mr. Kim said and ended the call.

Xiumin sat there, staring out the window. Sighing deeply, he started the engine and motored off. 

 

Somehow, Xiumin drove around until the sun was beginning to set. At least all those gas weren't wasted when Xiumin finally made up his mind. He'll make the deal with Byun Company. But that doesn't have anything to do with forgiving Baekhyun, he will never be forgiven. 

He called Baekhyun after he decided what to do. 

"Minseok?" 

"Yes it's me. Baekhyun, I am only doing this because I have a heart. We will make the trade with the Byun Company."

"Really? Thank you very much, Minseok, thank you-"

Xiumin hung up before Baekhyun finished speaking. 

Well that was over, now I hope I won't regret this decision... 

 

It was about 8:00 in the evening, the sun slowly disappeared in the sky over the house opposite the small street.

Driving down the road, the surrounds gradually got quieter and calmer as the car headed out to the rural area. Tall buildings turned into little houses, the crowds on the sidewalk were replaced by an old couple strolling carelessly down the street. 

The process of sunset really is a fascinating sight, although beautiful, the whole show only lasted for a couple of minutes, then, the sky dimmed and it was night time.

Out of the corners of his eye, Xiumin caught sight of a brightly illuminated window of a small lonely shop sitting by the side of the street. On the little door of the shop, there was a sign said "Moon Trims". It was a gift shop, from the large window of the small building, a giant vase of chrysanthemums, tall and beautiful could be seen. Light brown curtains were hanging down on either side of the window. 

Xiumin drove right up and peered through the glass into the shop. The shop was filled with souvenirs and gifts. Some were recognizable and some were rather odd looking. In the empty carpeted space, a baby grand piano stood, several plump armchairs were placed around the instrument and in the corner, he spotted two little colorful birds in a cage. 

Interested by this little shop that he never knew existed, Xiumin parked his car by the road and decided to go take a look inside this "Moon Trims"

An old lady sat on a rocking chair inside the shop. She greeted Xiumin with a warm welcoming smile, he smiled and nodded back. Looking around, he found some most peculiar items he had ever seen, some weird rocks, weird stuffed animals, decorations made of bones, hideous sculptures, yes, hideous. 

Walking around, Xiumin's eyes darted around the shop, fascinated by all the cool items. Suddenly, a necklace caught his attention. It shimmered under the lights, although simple designed, the violet jewel was as pure as it could be, a strip of silver Coiled on the front of the gem. This necklace was elegant, beautiful and it gave off a hint of calm, cool, artistic aura. 

Xiumin gazed at the enchanting stone more, it reminded him of... Seon-yul. With this thought, Xiumin wanted to buy this as a gift for Seon-yul, it would look great on her. He could give it to her the next time they meet. 

"That's a amethyst necklace." The woman said from behind, "Amethyst is a rare gem, it is considered a royal stone due to its purple color, fine gems like this were favourites of Catherine the Great."

"So it is a precious necklace then." 

"Very, are you going to purchase it for someone?" The old lady asked and she studied Xiumin from head to toe.

"Yes, I am give it to a friend." Xiumin answered honestly.

"Girlfriend?"

"N-no! We are not in a relationship. I mean, I would want to be but I don't know how she feels..." Xiumin shook his head and replied in embarrassment, "how much is this?" He quickly changed the topic.

"I am sorry to tell you this necklace isn't on sale." The woman replied.

"What is it doing on the counters then?" Xiumin questioned, not in a rude way, just out of curiosity.

"Listen young man, if you really want this necklace, impress me with music." The old woman said and pointed to the baby grand piano.

Xiumin raised his eyebrow, "What if I don't play piano?" 

The old woman studied him for a moment, and then opened to respond, "You should be able to play. From the way you walk and talk, I could tell you are a musician, most good musicians know piano, even if it is there second, third, or even fourth instrument. Are you telling me you can't play the piano?" 

"No, no, I can." Xiumin said and walked toward the piano. 

"The song I am going to perform for you is a very famous song by Richard Clayderman, it is called Mariage d'Amour." 

After introducing the song he was going to play, Xiumin bowed formally and sat down on the leather seat.

 

 The old lady watched and listened carefully as Xiumin's fingers danced gracefully on the black and white keyboard. Xiumin's performance was absolutely astonishing. 

With one last gentle knock on the key, the song came to an end. Inhaling a deep breath, Xiumin stood up and bowed to the old woman who smiled a wrinkly smile and nodded in acknowledgement. 

"So... how was it?" Xiumin asked.

"It was good. You tried hard son, the necklace is yours, give it to your girlfriend." The old lady replied and handed the necklace box to Xiumin who blushed at the mention of his 'girlfriend'.

"We aren't in any relationship yet..."

"You will be, you are a good boy, both in heart and body. As long as you express your true love for her, she won't turn you down." She said with a wicked smile. 

"Really? Thank you for everything, are you sure I don't need to pay?" Xiumin asked again, feeling a bit guilty for taking such a precious item from this shop. 

"Yes yes, no need to worry about it." 

"Alright, accept this as donation to this shop. Have a good night!" Xiumin place cash on the front desk and bid the old lady goodbye.

"Be sure to visit again." 

"I will!"

 

 

Xiumin drove past the front gate of his family's property. The car sped down the road leading to his garage where all his cars were parked. After passing by a small pond, a patch of trees, he suddenly spotted a figure walking down the road in the opening about 200 meters ahead.

Who is that trespassing our property this late? Xiumin tensed up and drive quicker to catch up to the person walking in front. Getting closer, he could tell the figure was female. She had a backpack on and was holding something in her hand. 

The girl up ahead sensed the car light and engine, she quickly turned around. 

Xiumin's eyes widened as he recognized that girl. 

"Seon-yul?"