1994

The Time Traveler's Girlfriend

3.1994


 

“Taeyeonnieeee I miss youuuu~”

“Uggghhh c-can’t breath..”

The second Taeyeon opened the door she was engulfed by a tight hug, provided by one tall and tan woman named Kwon Yuri.

But the hug didn’t last long as Jessica shoved the tallest woman from her little sister.

“Stop hitting on my dongsaeng! She has girlfriend already!”

Yuri stumbled and sulked, “Why do every perfect woman have girlfriend already? This isn’t fair!” She eyed Jessica for a second, “And only left this kind of violent and lazy woman behind.. Why? Oh why?”

Jessica was about to kick Yuri in her shin, luckily Taeyeon held her back.

“Yuri-ah, are you here for The Committee?”

Yuri dusted off her uniform, which is a set of perfectly wrinkle free black suit.

“Yes I am” Yuri looked at Taeyeon, her tone changed into more formal “I’m here on behalf of your girlfriend’s safety, there’re some things that we should discuss, so why don’t you offer me a nice seat and a cup of coffee first?”

 

Kwon Yuri, the head of Public Relation Division of The Committee was sitting happily on their couch. Taeyeon and Jessica knew her from high school, as Yuri was their Sunbae who unfortunately so persistent on courting Taeyeon, whether she or Taeyeon was on relationship or not, because as she said herself, Taeyeon and her were fated to be together.

 

Fate worked in funny way.

There were a lot of theory of how fate worked, but every time traveler believed in one theory. They believed that the most important fate in anyone’s life; like the birth, death, and soulmate, had been fixed before, but the way you reach that fate was up to you, whether you’d do it in a good, bad, hard, easy, or any way possible.

 

“So I believe that you already saw the video from your older self..” Yuri had finished her expresso in one gulped decided to open their talk. “Tell me your honest thought on this case Taeyeonnie”

Taeyeon diverted her gaze from Yuri to her and Sunny’s picture on the wall right behind Yuri’s head. She inhaled amount of air first before she started to speak.

“Honestly I’m confuse with that.. I mean what went wrong in Sunny’s life before that could only be saved by me dating her mother? Is that even logically possible?”

Yuri opened her suitcase that was put on the coffee table. She pulled out a stack of paper and enveloped. She opened one of the brown enveloped and showed the contain to Taeyeon and Jessica.

“Who is this?” Jessica touched one of picture of woman that Yuri took from the envelope before.

“That’s Hwang Miyoung, Sunny’s mother.”

 

Taeyeon also grabbed one picture and inspected thoroughly.

“She and Sunny has the same eyesmile..” She smiled at the picture

Yuri nodded at Taeyeon observation, “Not only that, both of them also share a lot of similar personality and I think it won’t be hard for you to date her as dating her basically dating Sunny in different package.” Yuri rolled her eyes at her own explanation “Why must you dating her? Why couldn’t you save Sunny by dating me instead? So not fair..”

“I said stop hitting on my sister!” Jessica snarled at Yuri.

Taeyeon’s smiled faltered as she remembered what she had to do.

“Yuri-ah, please explain this case more, I honestly feel lost at this..”

Yuri cleared and adjusted her posture before she began, “I believe that you already knew about how Sunny’s parents relationship were..”

Taeyeon nodded meekly

~~~~~~

 

Winter 1994

A beautiful woman was walking aimlessly on the side of Han River. She walked slowly with her head looking straight ahead. The wind messed her hair but she didn’t bother to fix them. She tightened the knot on her coat and then shoved her shivering hands to coat’s pocket.

“I cannot believe you could bring this huge shame to your family!”

“D-dad..I’m really sorry”

“Sorry? Do you think your sorry would bring back our family's honor? Psst.. What did I do in my past life that God had to give me such a disgraceful daughter like you?”

 

“Where are you going?”

“I have enough of this! You and your stupid daughter ruined my life!”

“Great, now you blame me like this is none of your responsibility!”

“Whatever. I’m leaving.”

“Go! Leave! We are better off without you anyway!”

 

”We need your signature as an approval for your daughter surgery.”

“But I have no money to pay for any of this”

“We can give you time to think about it. This surgery is vital for your daughter’s life. Please tell us your decision before 7 pm tonight.”

 

That woman continued walking until she reached Banpo Bridge and walked further.

Suddenly she stopped and turned her body towards the Han River below her.

She gripped the iron bar of the bridge’s rail for leverage as she climbed over its border. She had one of her legs on the other side of the rail and with another push she succeed to stand on the outer side of the bride. Her hands gripped the rail behind her, she was one step away from falling freely to the cold deep water beneath her.

She closed her eyes and her daughter face appeared.

“Soonkyu-ah..please forgive your mom..”

She loosen her grip on the railing and bend forward, ready to jump

 

Her movement was restricted by a pair of arms that suddenly engulfed her torso. She smelt a faint hint of rose and jasmine from the person behind her. She was about to turn around when she felt her body being lifted up by that person

“What are you doing?” That person said to her

She stood back on the bridge side walk, that person kept her in tight embrace. She struggled for free. She knew it was a woman from her petite figure and her sweet smell, but she couldn’t see her face clearly as she wore baseball hat and her jacket hood

She started to hit that woman’s shoulder.

“Let me go! You know nothing about me, just pretend that you don’t see me and walk away!”

The stranger gripped her arms with both hands. She made her looked straight into a captivating pair of dark brown eyes.

“Believe me, everything will be better. Don’t do something that you will regret later..Every little thing that you do will make an impact to other people’s life, especially the one you love.”

The stranger’s voice was strangely soothing all her nerves. She felt weak all of sudden and burst into tears. She slipped down her body from the stranger’s held and slumped to hard concrete.

“I-I’ve t-tried so-o many w-ways but my-y life just g-get-ting worse..” She spoke between her sobs. “I d-drag my innocent daughter into this m-mess”

She felt her squatting down beside her. She felt another warm embrace from her. She just met this stranger for 10 minutes yet she gave her the most hug she got in a year.

“Shhhh I’m here now and I’ll help you”

“H-help me? But we don’t know each other”

She felt a pair of hands peared open her face. The stranger’s hand was soft yet cold, probably from the weather. The woman in front of her was pretty. Her skin was pale white, she swore she could see her most of vein on her neck. Then the woman smiled, showing small dimple on her left chin.

“My name is Kim Taeyeon, what’s your name?”

“Hwang Miyoung..” She was to mesmerized by the woman as she answered her absentmindedly

“Now we know each other’s name. We’re no longer a stranger.” Again, Taeyeon smiled at Miyoung. “Come on, let’s go someplace that has heather. I’m freezing here.” Taeyeon helped Miyoung to stand up, “How about a cup of coffee?” She asked the confused woman.

 

Taeyeon observed the trembling woman in her embrace. “Huffft thank God I made it..I almost late before” She said in her mind.

 

“Well, you know that Sunny was born with CHD, then before her second birthday, she got really sick and she had to admit to hospital. At that time her parents relationship hit the rock bottom as her father left her and her mother. Her mother was a mere college student, she took 4 different part time jobs but still it was just enough for foods and for paying their rent. Her mother had tried so many ways to pay for the hospital bill but nothing worked. Then she got news that Sunny need a surgery. That day she gave up trying. She decided to end her life. That’s why you need to go there and help her.”

 

Yuri’s voice kept ringing on Taeyeon’s head. Now they were sitting on a small 24 hours mini mart with two cups instant coffee and ramyun in front of them.

“What were you doing on the bridge before?” Miyoung tried to break the ice

“I was just..you know, walking. Looking for some air.”

“In this weather?”

“Well.. yeah, I love how it’s snowing in January”

Of course Taeyeon couldn’t answer the truth. She was just setted her foot when arrived at the side of river and her eyes cached a glimpsed of woman on the edge of the bridge, ready to jump. She immediately closed her eyes and reappeared right behind that woman.

 

“So..what happen?” Taeyeon put down her chopstick and turned her head to Miyoung

“I..it was complicated..I don’t want to involve you in my problem”

“Hey, I told you before that I’ll help you right?” Taeyeon reached Miyoung’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

 Miyoung looked at Taeyeon’s hand that was on hers and averted her gaze to the big glass that separated them from the outside.

“My daughter needs a surgery for her heart disease and I don’t have any money to pay it..”

“Well then I’ll pay for it!”

Miyoung scoffed at Taeyeon’s remark.

“You’ll just pay like that?”

“Sure! Come on let’s go to the hospital!”

Taeyeon grabbed Miyoung’s hand, pulled her to the cashier to pay for their simple meal.

Taeyeon gave the cashier girl her credit card.

“Ehmm..excuse me miss? What’s this?”

“Credit card” Taeyeon answered her simply, “To pay for that coffee and ramyun?”

“But.. I never saw this before”

Taeyeon wanted to face palmed herself. How could she forget that they were in 1994? Credit card wasn’t exist here.

She gave an awkward smiled at the cashier and Miyoung who looked at her in question. She took her wallet and she was about to gave her money when she remembered something.

I couldn’t use my money here..What if they saw the year on my money and the government had it investigate then they found out about time traveler?”

Clearly the paranoid Taeyeon couldn’t use her money so she asked the cashier, “Do you know where the ATM is?”  “But my bank account doesn’t even exist here..”

“The ATM is pretty far from here, so just let me pay for this.” Miyoung took her own purse and paid for their food.

“Hmmm I think I need to go to toilet first..” Taeyeon said to Miyoung, “Don’t go without me okay?”

 

Taeyeon hurriedly went to toilet. She was confuse of how to pay for Sunny’s medical treatment as her credit card and ATM wouldn’t work. She cursed Yuri and Jessica for throwing her here without any help whatsoever.

She was going to take her wallet back on her jacket’s pocket when she felt something. It was her and Sunny’s engagement ring box.

“Well, I could buy another ring anyway..”

 

They were on the way to hospital where Sunny at. The hospital itself wasn’t that far from mini mart so they chose to walk.

“Where do you come from?” Miyoung asked the woman beside her. Their shoulder was touching as there were a lot of people in the sidewalk.

“Ummm..Busan” Taeyeon answered her. She thought that it would be easier for her disappearance later if she said that she came from another town.

“Oh..”

They were back to silent. Taeyeon eyes were wondering around, searching for any jewelry shop. Luckily her eyes caught a neon sign of jewelry shop about 10 meters in front of them.

“Miyoung-ah, could you wait here for awhile? I think I saw someone I know there.” Taeyeon pointed at random person near the jewelry shop.

“O-okay..” Miyoung watched Taeyeon’s back as she went further away

 

“Here’s the money miss..”

“Thanks a lot sir” Taeyeon counted the money in her hands. “Umm..Sir, could you keep that ring for me? In a few days I’ll come back here and buy back that ring.”

The man smiled at her, “Okay, I’ll keep it for one week, this is such a beautiful ring I can’t keep it from my costumer eagle eyes any longer than that.”

~~~~~~

 

They had settled down the paper and payment for Sunny’s surgery. Now they were waiting for the 6 hours surgery to be done.

Miyoung was walking back and forth in front of Taeyeon who sat on the plastic chair. Taeyeon could see how worry she was.

Taeyeon silently observed the woman in front of her. As she saw before on her picture, Sunny’s and her mother had similar eyes. Her mother had higher cheek bones and her lips wasn’t as full as Sunny’s. Then her eyes traveled down to Miyoung’s body.

“Hmm..Sunny’s chest somehow looks more attractive for some reason..but Miyoung’s arse is better looking.. Yah! Keep it together Taeyeon! Your girlfriend is fighting for her life!”

Taeyeon mentally kicked herself for her byuntae thought. She felt someone occupied the seat beside her.

“I hope Soonkyu will make it..” Miyoung clasped her hand in praying position. She closed her eyes and laid her head back down. Her lips moved in silent prayer.

Looking at this Taeyeon closed her eyes too. Honestly, she still had a hard time believing in God although she believed that there was a greater force outside who decided everyone’s fate.

“God..If you are real, please help Sunny and release me from this complicated fate of mine..”

They felt into sleep unconsciously. Both of them had too much on their plate and none of them knew how to deal with it properly. They just did what they could do for now.

 

Suddenly the door of operation room opened.  The bright light that came from inside awoken Taeyeon and Miyoung.

Both of them stood groggily as one of the doctor approached them.

“Congratulation Mam, Soonkyu’s surgery went well and we’ll keep her here for a week or two for recovery.” He gave Miyoung and Taeyeon a tired but satisfied smile and went ahead after giving them a polite bow.

Miyoung clasped , relieve tears flowing down her face after she heard the doctor.

Taeyeon felt something heavy was lifted from her chest. She succeed on saving her girlfriend’s life. Now she could go back to 2014 and continue her normal life.

 

She was going to say goodbye to Miyoung when she was engulfed in tight embrace.

“Thanks a lot Taeyeon-ssi.. I don’t know how can I do to pay you back.” Miyoung spoke between her tears.

“It’s okay, you don’t need to pay me anything.” Taeyeon hugged Miyoung back, “Come on let’s see Soonkyu.”

Taeyeon felt extra weight on her arms. She heard nothing from the woman in her embrace.

“Miyoung-ah?” She pried Miyoung’s face from her neck, the later didn’t give any response.

 


Yeay as I promised I update again! Hehe

So how's the third chapter so far?? 

Anyway I want to say thank you for my subscribers XD

Special thanks to those who gave up vote for this story-->

jaeciccaLe_truelocksmithkillavibezDKamii_usernameistaken_Honeysweetviviansonetati_mayumiharlembeatfreakv4mP1r3_Fw3ak

Don't forget to leave your thought on comment box ^^

Barney's out