The Dance

The Time Traveler's Girlfriend

10. The Dance


 

Soft melodies flew through Taeyeon’s ear and the other 50 guess's in the room. She recognized the tune, of course she could, this song always reminded of her love story.  She remembered how the first time they met, the place they had their first date, the first kiss they shared, the first 100th days celebration -which turned out to disaster, their first fight over some petty jealousy, and every difficulty they faced on their journey.

 

 

Looking back

Of the memory of the dance we shared beneath the starts above

For a moment

All the worlds was right, how could I have known

That you’d ever say goodbye?

 

 

 

 

“Goodbye Taeyeon-ah..”

 

 

Taeyeon hated the word goodbye the most and she wished she never had that experience where her loved one said the cursed word to her. Sadly Sunny said that right after she learns the truth about Taeyeon and Miyoung relationship.

 

 

 

“Sunny bunny, I am at the front of restaurant, where are you?”

“I am inside, just ask for reservation under ‘Hwang’.”

“Okay”

Taeyeon entered the fine Asian fusion restaurant with glee, she hadn’t met her girlfriend for almost a month as the latter went home to LA, visiting her mother.

Today she got message from Sunny, telling her that she went back to Korea a week faster and she asked Taeyeon for dinner date on Sunny’s favorite restaurant. Sunny mentioned she had a surprise for her.

 

The waiters guided her to their table.

Taeyeon swore she never been so surprised in her entire life as she met Sunny, sitting across her mother.. Miyoung.

“Taeyeonnie, meet my mother!”

 

Taeyeon waited for the slap or any profanity to come, but she was engulfed in a warm embrace instead.

“Hi, Taeyeon. Nice to meet you, Sunny already told so much about you.”

 

The dinner went smoothly, Miyoung kept asking her bunch of questions, typical of mother-in law meeting their daughter’s partner, nothing unusual.

Taeyeon answered the questions shortly, but Sunny didn’t felt anything out of place as she thought Taeyeon just nervous, after all it was normal behavior for whoever meeting their future in law for the first time.

Then Sunny excused herself to go to the toilet, leaving Taeyeon and Miyoung alone.

 

 

“So, when will you tell me about the truth Taeyeon? Or can I still call you Taetae?”

Taeyeon choked on her drink. She eyed Miyoung in disbelief, the latter calmly offered a napkin for the coughing mess Taeyeon.

“Y-you recognize me?!” Taeyeon asked, half screaming.

Miyoung raised an eyebrow, “Of course, who wouldn’t recognize their ‘love of my life’?” Miyoung made a quotation mark

“Sssstttt!” Taeyeon reached out to shush Miyoung. She had her hand clasped on her future mother in law slash ex-girlfriend

“Yah! I am older than you Kim Taeyeon! Let me go.”Miyoung pried Taeyeon’s hand from

 

“Listen, I give you one chance to talk to me and explain all of this. Meet me tomorrow at 4 pm, my daughter’s apartment!”

“All right.”

Taeyeon was going to say something but on the corner of her eye, she saw Sunny walking back to their table. They continued with dessert and began conversing like nothing big happened.

 

 

 

 

It had been 15 minutes since Taeyeon stepped her feet on Sunny’s apartment, her girlfriend went on errand that Miyoung gave her as an excuse for them to be alone. They were sitting on the mini bar with two glass of red wine.

 

“You’re much quieter here than back when I was younger, why? Is my current appearance shock you?”

Miyoung tried to make Taeyeon a little bit at ease

“Yeah.. too many wrinkles” Taeyeon said absentmindedly “You should use that anti aging cream from Nature Republic”

“What the?! You little rascal!”Extended her hand to smack Taeyeon’s head but the latter dodged it.

“Hahaha” Taeyeon laughed at Miyoung’s failed attempt, then she looked at Miyoung with gentle eyes “I miss messing around with you Miyoungie..”

Miyoung blushed at Taeyeon’s remark, “W-whatever.. Let’s just get to the point!”

 

“First.. How?” Miyoung asked

Taeyeon already thought about an alibi to tell Miyoung without revealing her identity as time traveler

“My ancestor is the one who met you back in 1994 Miss Miyoung, she gave me her diary..”

Miyoung slammed the table, surprising Taeyeon “Yah cut the crap! Your ancestor my ! I am not that old and if you weren’t the one who I dated back in 1994 then how come you said that you recognized me right away?”

Taeyeon covered half of her face, feeling stupid for forgetting the flaw in her plan; she recognized Miyoung right from the first time they met again at the restaurant.

 

 

“I am sorry..” Taeyeon inhaled and exhaled three times to calm her nerves, “Well I know you deserve the truth but I think you won’t believe me. The truth is I am a time traveler and I was given a mission from the higher up of my organization to date you..”

Then Taeyeon told her the whole story, the reason she did that to save Miyoung from her suicide attempt.

“Hmm..okay, but why do you have to date me?”

Taeyeon’s ears perked up, “You actually believe that I am a time traveler?”

Miyoung scoffed, she stood up and went to the guess room, leaving the confuse looking Taeyeon alone.

 

About 4 minutes later Miyoung came back, holding something in her hand. She tossed the thing to Taeyeon who caught it in time.

“It is.. a phone?” Taeyeon observed the black android based smart phone in her hand.

“It’s your phone, the police found it along with our belonging in the car.”

“That car?”

Miyoung nodded, “I didn’t know what it was back then and I couldn’t turn it on, it was damaged because of the accident but I kept it safe until years later when suddenly this phone was everywhere. I got it repaired and went through its contain, I found bunch of your and Sunny’s picture, your messages, your email, even your internet banking account.”

Taeyeon just stared at Miyoung, not giving any response so Miyoung continued.

“Then I looked for the truth by myself, I hired an investigator and he came with what I thought a ridiculous theory about you being one of the time traveler society. I ignored his final report, but then Sunny asked for my blessing as she dated a girl named Kim Taeyeon. She showed me your picture, she kept telling me about you, the more I learnt about my daughter’s girlfriend, the more I believe you are indeed the same Kim Taeyeon who I dated.”

Miyoung poured herself a glass of red wine and drink it in one go.

“I am so sorry Miyoung-ah..” Taeyeon couldn’t find any excuses, even though she did it out of good intention, she still hurting Miyoung in the process.

“I was so mad at you, I went online shopping using your internet banking.” Miyoung smiled cheekily at the gloomy looking Taeyeon.

“That’s where my money missing..”

 

 

“Do you love Sunny?”

Taeyeon avoided looking straight at Miyoung’s eyes, she hesitated to answer the question, she didn’t want to hurt Miyoung again.

“It’s okay, I am way over the revenge phase. I am too old for that.”

“You’re not that old, you look good. You’re on a cougar phase!” Taeyeon said honestly, raising her thumb

Miyoung rolled her eyes, “Now you just trying to flatter me.. Seriously though, do you love Sunny?”

Taeyeon met Miyoung’s eyes and nodded firmly, “I do, I love your daughter Lee Sunkyu!”

 

 

“Then why did you still dated my mother?”

 

 

Both of them startled at the familiar voice coming from the door. Taeyeon stood up in reflect, she met with Sunny’s glistening eyes.

“S-Sunny bunny.. When did you arrive?” Taeyeon asked in fear of her girlfriend eavesdropped their whole conversation.

“Long enough, right after my mother gave you the phone.” She turned her gaze to Miyoung, “Was she the one I called ‘Appa’?” Sunny asked Miyoung

“Sunkyu..”

“Was she?”

“Yes..”

 

Then suddenly Sunny ran straight to the bathroom, they heard gagging sound coming out of it. Taeyeon hurried her step to follow Sunny.

There she found Sunny hugging the toilet bowl, emptying her stomach contents.

Miyoung squeezed herself to pass through the door where Taeyeon stood frozen. She Sunny’s back and holding her hair. 

Taeyeon handed her a glass of water, “Are you okay?”

Sunny received the glass unwillingly, “What do you think?!” She sipped the water, “I am basically dating my own father! It’s disgusting.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened, she never thought Sunny could react like this. “I did that to save your life!”

“Okay, thank you for that, but I still can’t get over the fact that you dated my mother and you were the one who changed my diaper!”Sunny screamed at Taeyeon

“What should I do? You couldn’t change that yourself!”

“That isn’t the point!” Sunny pinched the bridge of her nose, she couldn’t deal with this today. Knowing her mother and Taeyeon used to date then learning the fact that her girlfriend was a time traveler, Sunny was lucky she didn’t went crazy.

 

“Let’s just break up.”

“Sunny-ah..”

“Goodbye Taeyeon”

 

 

 

Holding you, I held everything

For a moment, wasn’t I a King?

But if I’d only known how the King would fall

Hey who’s to say, you know I might have changed it all

 

 

 

Taeyeon fidgeted a little, she couldn’t wait for her bride to enter through the door. Yuri, her best man/woman, gave her a gentle pat to calm her down. Yet she couldn’t soothe her raging mind, the whole flashback in her mind wasn’t helping either.

Right on time the flower girl entered, looking mighty cute with her white floral dress. 

 

 

It had been 3 months since the break up, Sunny moved out of her apartment as she wanted to avoid Taeyeon’s presence. Taeyeon was a wreck after that, she tried to win Sunny back with every resources she had  but nothing worked.

Surprisingly her relationship with Miyoung got better. The mother didn’t held any grudge to Taeyeon, her mature age made her understood Taeyeon’s past action, she told Taeyeon to think their past relationship as a sweet memory. However bad it ended, their relationship was real and both of them were good to each other, but they were just not meant to be so they had to accept it.

In fact Miyoung had been helping Taeyeon to melt her daughter’s heart so that she could take Taeyeon back.

 

 

“What do you want to eat bunny?”

Taeyeon asked Sunny eagerly, she finally able to convince Sunny -with Miyoung's help- to have a date with her –Taeyeon thought it was a date, Sunny thought it was a normal dinner where she would tell Taeyeon to back off for good at the end of their outing

“I want their special.” Sunny closed the menu “And stop calling me bunny!”

Taeyeon jutted her lower lips, “But you were the one who insist, you made me called you bunny”

“That was before I know what a ert cheater you are.”

Taeyeon looked at her pleadingly, she extended her hand to hold Sunny’s. “I told you, I did that to save you. I never had any intention to cheat on you with anyone, moreover your own mother.”

Sunny flinched at Taeyeon’s touch, she retreated her hand back “Every road to hell is built with good intention Taeyeon-ah.”

“Sunny.. Please give me one more chance”

“I am sorry I can’t”

 

Suddenly Sunny grimaced while holding her stomach. The gesture alerted Taeyeon who immediately stood from her seat, approaching Sunny.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s okay, my stomach’s hurt”

“Do you want to go home?”

Sunny shook her head, “No, let’s finish our meal. Maybe I am just hungry”

Taeyeon seemed to hesitate on something.

“You want to say something?” Sunny asked

“Umm well I think you should stop eating food you find lying on the floor.”

Sunny smacked Taeyeon’s arm, “Yaaah! I never do that! Who does that anyway?”

Taeyeon snorted, she started chuckling. Realizing the Taeyeon’s attempt to break the ice, Sunny let out small laugh.

“You’re still as silly as before.”

“Yeah, but not as happy.” Taeyeon said with bitter smile.

 

 

The next morning they woke up with headache, on Taeyeon’s bed.

They had too many red wine which clouded their judgment. Taeyeon hoped for a brief moment that the meant something for Sunny, as much as it meant for her.

But Sunny broke her heart by saying that was just a break up , every dysfunctional couple did that before ending their relationship.

They bid goodbye on Taeyeon’s door with Jessica hiding in the kitchen, trying to be invisible while eavesdropping their conversation.

For the second time Sunny said ‘goodbye’ and Taeyeon believed that was it. Someone told her if she loved someone, let her go.

So she let Sunny go.

 

 

 

Two weeks after she got phone call from Miyoung, asking her to come to hospital because Sunny fainted.

She literally ran to hospital, forgetting her ability to travel through space –or the fact that she could use her car.

Taeyeon had all negative scenario in her head, ‘What if Sunny fainted because of her heart disease acting up again?’ ‘What if it’s cancer?’

She prayed to God to save Sunny, she’d do anything in return if Sunny’s condition wasn’t anywhere near danger.

 

Arrived at the hospital, Taeyeon wasn’t sure whether to be happy or terrified as Miyoung told her Sunny was pregnant for two weeks.

 

Taeyeon took full responsibility, she didn’t even questioning whether the baby in Sunny’s tummy was really hers or someone else’s.

She took care of Sunny’s every needs, she accompanied the latter to every doctor’s appointment, she even convinced Sunny to let her move in with her to take care of her and their baby better.

It was a slow road but on her 7th months of being pregnant, Sunny told Taeyeon that she wanted to give Taeyeon another chance, for her baby’s future.

 

Taeyeon was beyond happy, she took Sunny on a date –mostly car date, dinner date or simply cuddling in their bed as Sunny couldn’t move a lot.

 

Then on the 1st August of 2017 their baby girl was born. The baby shared the same birthday as her grandma who couldn’t hide her tears as she held Taeyeon and Sunny’s first child.

They named the baby Tiffany Kim.

 

 

 

And now, I am glad I didn’t know where it all would end, where it all would go

Our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I’d have had to miss

The dance

 

 

 

The cute flower girl, Tiffany, was sitting happily on a stroller, with Jessica behind it pushing her stroller while scattering the pink petal. Her eyes met with Yuri briefly, who couldn’t able to hold her gaze without breaking into shy smile.

Taeyeon held her urge to roll her eyes at her sister and her best woman’s display of affection. Today was her day, everyone should focus on her and Sunny.

Speaking of whom, as the song entered its chorus Sunny walked through the door, linking her hand with Miyoung.

Taeyeon couldn’t tear her gaze away from her. She wanted to break down and cry but she knew she couldn’t do that.

A year after Tiffany was born, Sunny said yes to her proposal. She proved herself enough for Sunny. She was going to be the provider of Sunny and Tiffany’s needs. She was going to be Sunny’s wife and Tiffany’s umma, officially.

 

As the priest gave them talk about marriage, Taeyeon focused her view on Sunny. Despite all the doubt and mistakes, at the end of the day  Sunny was the one for her.

She wanted to thanks Miyoung, Yuri, Jessica.. especially Miyoung as without them she wouldn't be here at this moment, feeling extremly lucky because she met her soulmate.

Without Yuri she wouldn't able learn about letting go.

Without her sister Jessica.. well her live would be less painful but not as fun.

And without Miyoung.. She couldn't even met Sunny and their relationship taught her to be more mature and understanding.

 

She finally accepted her destiny with gratitude. She vowed that she would never ever doubt her love for Sunny ever again and she believed it as the surrounding went blur except for Sunny’s face.

 

 

Yes my life is better left to chance

I could have missed the pain, but I would have to miss the dance

 


Yeay it's end ^^

I apologize for any mistake in the making of this story.

I want to dedicate this ending for my friend who passed away two weeks ago. He is a good friend of mine, he's my mountaineering buddy. He's the most dedicated person I ever met and I was so down by his departure.

I hope you'll be happy in heaven Molly :')