The Rules

The Time Traveler's Girlfriend

“Nice abs handsome!”

“Hmmm I wanna tap that so bad.. Oh ies! Taengoo, look at that beautiful eye candy!”

“No. You’re disgusting Sica-ah!”

Taeyeon kept her gaze somewhere at the beach, away from what Jessica had pointed out. She felt thankful for whoever that invented sunglasses as it hide her sister’s byuntae eyes perfectly, but in other hand it made Jessica ogling at those handsome  surfer boys and pretty girls around the beach easier.

“Pffft you are so much fun before you started dating Sunny.” Jessica turned her body and laid in her back on her deck chair. “Aaahh Australia sure has beautiful beaches, this is what I love the most for being a time traveler..”

Taeyeon’s eyes shot opened, she bolted from her own deck chair to Jessica’s and covered her sister’s mouth with her hand. “Huuussh! Are you stupid? What if someone heard you?!” She said with hushed tone, afraid of others heard what she was about to say, “do I need to remind you what rule number two said?”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. After all these times she still couldn’t see eye to eye with her younger sister obsession with that so called Time Traveler’s Code, and of course she remembered all of the rules because Taeyeon made her to, besides there were only 3 rules after all.

 

Rule number 1

Time Traveler don’t exist

 

This rule ensured that all of the world’s population didn’t acknowledge the existence of time traveler. The time traveler must act like they were just a mere citizen like others and they must deny any suspicion or accusation with everything they got.

How they made sure of this secrecy? They should follow rule number 2

 

Rule number 2

You do not talk about Time Traveler

 

Never ever talk about time traveler unless to the other time traveler and they must be sure that no one could know what they were talking about. The best thing to do was to not talk about it at all with anyone even with fellow time traveler.

 

Rule number 3

You DO NOT TALK about Time Traveler

 

These 3 rules were developed and being followed by all of the time travelers around the world. They did that to protect their own kind from being exposed and captured by the government and being their guinea pig. They had the suspicion of the existence of time traveler since forever but never been able to prove it thanks to those simple rules that they followed religiously.

 

Taeyeon always followed those rules as she wanted to protect hers and other time traveler’s special life, unlike her older sister, Jessica, who took the rules with ease. Taeyeon had enough trouble of her sister nonchalant behavior when they went traveling. They had got caught by Spain’s immigration because Jessica forgot to bring their passport so they had to spend one night at immigration’s jail . They got lucky as they got bailed out the day after, by one of time traveler from whom also held an important position in Spain’s immigration.

 

Today they were sunbathing in Bondi beach, Australia after two and half hour of looking for the best pebble in the other side of the continent, in Penguin Island at Western Australia, for Taeyeon and Sunny’s third year anniversary.  Taeyeon got the idea from watching too much discovery channel with her girlfriend and they watched how the male penguin courted the female penguin by presenting the finest pebble he could find.

Sunny was awed by those silly romantic penguins, plus the fact that they only had one partner for their whole life. Thus Taeyeon was so determined to find the best pebble and presented it to Sunny to show how serious and committed she was in their relationship and proposed her tonight. 

Of course you could easily found pebble in Korea. Taeyeon also noticed this.. while she and Jessica were chased by those sea lion at Penguin Island, so it was sort of too late.

 

Taeyeon were grinning from ear to ear for remembering her foolproof anniversary plan for tonight when Jessica burst her imagination bubble, “Aren’t you supposed to be back like an hour ago?”

“Yes but I could bend the time anyway so no worries.” Taeyeon said while adjusting her sunglasses.

“I don’t think you could, you had used your time bending limit for today.”

“What? No.. I just use it once for today, when we were turned back time so you could have this nice sunbathing time.”

“No, you had used it before that, when those sea lions were running after us in Penguin Island.” Jessica propped her head on her right hand

Taeyeon reminded by that scary event before and she realized that her sister was right, she had exceed her limit for today.

“Then you could lend me your help! You haven’t use yours today.”

“Sorry but I have reach my limit too, earlier there were this beautiful girl who got her bikini strap loosen and her ies were shown so I replied it three times.” Jessica grinned like ert old man.

Taeyeon face palmed at her sister confession. “And people calling me byuntae..” She thought.

 

Every time traveler had different ability degree. Taeyeon and Jessica could go wherever they wanted without any restriction but they had limited ability on time bending. Taeyeon could only bend time twice a day and Jessica could do that thrice a day.

 

“Why are you still here? Go back to Korea already!” Jessica said. “I won’t go back today so you can use our apartment for your ‘celebration’..if you know what I mean.” She lowered her sunglasses and gave Taeyeon one dirty look.

 

~~~~~~

 

Taeyeon arrived at Korea on a blink. She stumbled upon Jessica’s unwashed clothes that laying around in her apartment.

“That kid! How could I brought Sunny here tonight with all these mess..” Taeyeon kicked her sister’s clothes and stuffed those clothes into Jessica’s room with her feet and ran to her own room to change her clothes.

Taeyeon put on new pair of jeans, white t-shirt and covered it with dark brown leather jacket. Before she bolts out from her room, she took the ring in the box near her bed and put it on her jacket’s pocket.

Taeyeon took a glance on the clock and she realized that she was 45 minutes late so she closed her eyes and thinking of Sunny’s apartment to travel there. She opened her eyes but she was still on her apartment. She tried it again but she wasn’t move an inch.

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, she walked to the curtain and opened it. Her suspicion were right, it was drizzling outside, no wonder she couldn’t use her ability.

 

Taeyeon’s weakness was she couldn’t travel through space or time in the rain

 

So she took more conventional way and went to her girlfriend’s apartment by walking outside her apartment door and knocked two room beside hers as Sunny’s unit was just steps away from her apartment.

~~~~~~

Taeyeon was an hour late and she got cold shoulder and a good 15 minutes of lecture from her girlfriend for making her worried all day with her unanswered calls and messages. Taeyeon could only pouted in guilt as she couldn’t tell her girlfriend about her adventure to find pebble for her and she unintentionally left her phone in the bag beside Jessica’s chair back in Bondi beach.

 

“What will we do in amusement park Taeyeonnie? It’s raining outside..” Sunny unbuckled her seat belt when they had arrived at the destination.

She was going to open the door when Taeyeon held her other hand and made her turn around. Sunny met with her girlfriend’s apologetic pair of puppy eyes that made her smiled. She extended her hand and caressed the black hair girl’s smooth pale cheek. Taeyeon lend her head to Sunny’s touch and closed her eyes.

“I’m sorry for being late and make you worried.” Taeyeon opened her eyes and kissed her girlfriend’s palm

“I don’t mind you being late, I just worried about your safety.” Sunny moved forward and gave her girlfriend a peck. “This is our third anniversary, I thought you were bored with me and found some pretty girl on your way to my apartment.” Sunny said jokingly, she knew her girlfriend. Even if she was a byuntae, Taeyeon wasn’t a cheater.

Sunny’s sentence reminded Taeyeon of those hot Australian babes on the beach and it made her unconsciously grinned.

Unfortunately Sunny saw this and pinched her cheek. “Yaaah byuntae! What are you thinking?”

Taeyeon laughed it off. She opened her door and went to the trunk to take her transparent umbrella and walked to Sunny’s side and opened the door for her girlfriend.

 She playfully bowed at Sunny like a butler and extended her hand for Sunny to hold. “This way mam..”

 

They supposedly had a nice candle light dinner outside, but since it was still drizzling, they had their dinner inside the restaurant. Lucky for Taeyeon there wasn’t many people in the restaurant since it was near the closing time. An hour from now the park would be closed and Taeyeon had rented the carousel for her proposal plan and she hoped no other hassle could mess with her plan.

~~~~~~

Sunny and Taeyeon had been together since their freshmen year in college. They met in high school and became best friend after. It took them 4 years and one drunken night for them to realized that they were never platonic and decided to try with romantic relationship.

Taeyeon knew that they were still young and it wasn’t like Taeyeon would marry Sunny next year, she just knew that if she would marry anyone, it would definitely be Sunny.

It was still drizzling outside after they done with the dinner. Sunny kept bugging Taeyeon with questions as she got curious why did they hadn’t went home like other people when the closing time passed, but Taeyeon just smiled at her and told her that she had something prepared to celebrate their anniversary.

~~~~~~

 

When they arrived at the carousel, one of the employees approached them and whispered something to Taeyeon. Taeyeon raised her eyebrows at him and told Sunny to wait for awhile as she went with the employee to talk privately.

“What do you mean you can’t operate the carousel?” Taeyeon wanted to scream out of frustration but couldn’t, as her girlfriend might hear them.

“I’m sorry miss but the new policy forbids us to run the carousel in the rain.” The employee looked scared of the petite girl. He saw Taeyeon’s face turned red as the signal that she would burst anytime so he quickly added, “B-but we have other, what about merry-go-round?”

Taeyeon thought for awhile, well there was nothing she could do anyway and merry go round wasn’t that bad.  She surely couldn’t and wouldn’t propose on roller coaster or haunted house right?

 She told the employee that she’d took the offer and told him to change the childlike songs that they usually played in merry go round with something that more suitable for adult.

 

They arrived in front of merry-go-round.  Suddenly, the light were switch on and the couple could see beautifully built merry-go-round with those horses, carriage, and some unicorns there, ready for them to ride on. 

 

Sunny clasped with her hand and turned to her right side and her eyes immediately met with Taeyeon’s.

“I was going to take you on carousel but apparently they couldn’t operate it under the rain.. so will this do?” Taeyeon bit her own lips and gave Sunny one apologetic looks

Sunny threw herself at Taeyeon, she gave the slightly taller girl a hug and burrowed her face on Taeyeon’s neck

“Pabo yah, you could just take me to eat dubokki on the street and I would still feel very happy.” Sunny looked straight to Taeyeon and gave her quick but deep kiss. “Happy anniversary Taeyeonnie.. I love you.” She gave Taeyeon another kisses.

“Happy anniversary my bunny, I love you more.”

 

After that the happy couple walked to merry-go-round and swung their joined hand.  Sunny was beyond exited, she walked here and there, she had a hard time choosing whether she’d ride the horse or unicorn. 

Taeyeon just smiled at her hyper bunny.  She let her lover took her time while she was preparing for her proposal.

Ring? On the jacket, right pocket. Checked.

Flower? Taeyeon turned to her left side, where the employee stood and mouthed “flower” to him which he replied immediately by rushing to Taeyeon and handed her a bouquet of white rose. Checked

Pebble? Taeyeon searched on her left pocket jeans. She remembered clearly that she put it inside before she travel back to Korea. Her face paled as she couldn’t find the pebble on her jeans pocket. She took of her jacket and searched it thoroughly but the pebble was nowhere to be found.

“No, no, no!” Taeyeon thought. She eyed Sunny and her lover seemed too mesmerized by one white horse to notice her panic gesture.  Then she closed her eyes trying to remember where she could possibly lose her pebble. Then it it her, she changed her jeans before she went out to Sunny’s apartment. Her pebble must be left in that jeans at her bedroom. Her thought got interrupted by Sunny’s voice.

“Taeyeonnie! I want to ride this awesome white horse over here” Sunny waved her hand at Taeyeon with big smiled on her face.

Taeyeon walked toward her with lifeless body. She approached Sunny’s side and took a black horse beside her. She gave Sunny her best fake smile and her girlfriend was too happy to notice Taeyeon’s sullen face.

Taeyeon waved her hand to the employee to start the ride which responded by a nod.

 

Taeyeon couldn’t believe the night was totally ruined. She had planned it for months, she saved tons of money to buy the diamond ring and to rent the amusement park by working her butts off as an intern at her father architecture firm every day after her lecture finished, she spent two days in Penguin Island looking for pebble and got chased by a sea lions over there but how could these cruel reality happened?

She felt small movement from the merry-go-round, she heard her girlfriend squealed beside her. At least Sunny was happy.

She knew Sunny would still accept her proposal without the pebble but she couldn’t let her effort wasted and their proposal would be more special with the presence of that unreasonably hard to find pebble.

Taeyeon knocked her head on the iron bar that hang the horse in front of her repeatedly and chanted “Pabo” or “Idiot” in her mind.

Her self-punishment stopped by an awfully familiar melody from the merry-go-round speaker.

 

I think I did it again

I made you believe we’re more than just friend

Oh baby it might seem like a crush, but it doesn’t mean that I’m serious

 

Sunny seemed shocked by it. She turned her head at frozen Taeyeon beside her. She raised her eyebrows in question. Did her girlfriend wanted to tell her something by this song?

 

Oops! I did it again

I played with your heart, got lost in the game

Oh baby, baby

Oops! You think I’m in love, that I sent from above

I’m not that innocent.

 

Sunny burst into laughter after she recognized the chorus and witnessed her girlfriend panic gesture.

Taeyeon stepped down from her horse and was busy signaling the employee to change the song by rolling her hand in the air.

The employee furrowed his eyebrow and mounted “Change?” that got replied with an ‘okay’ sign by Taeyeon

Then the music stopped and finally Sunny could control her laugh, “Really Taeyeon? Your ideal song for our romantic anniversary is Britney?” Sunny wiped a little tear on the corner of her eye.

Taeyeon was going to explain and defend herself when a girl voice heard. Her face fell as she recognized the song.

 

One, two, three

Not only you and me, got 180 degree and I’m caught in between

Counting one, two, three.. Peter, Paul, and Mary

Getting down with 3P, everybody loves…Uh!

Counting

 

Taeyeon sent a dead glare to the employee.

Again, Sunny burst into another big laughter. She laughed so hard she felt from her horse.

 

(Later, they found out that the employee mistook Taeyeon’s ‘okay’ sign as a ‘3’ sign. Which was one of Britney Spears’s songs. The dirty kind of song)

~~~~~~                                            

 

Their journey back home filled with occasional giggle from Sunny and an annoyed looking Taeyeon.  It didn’t help that the radio that they were listening to decided to play Britney’s womanizer for their special song tonight.

They reached Sunny’s door, usually Taeyeon would make a small talk or kissed her girlfriend before she entered her unit but tonight she was going to flee right away without bothering to kiss her girlfriend goodnight. That was when Sunny held her hand to keep her from going.

“I had a lot of fun Taeyeonnie..” Sunny faced her girlfriend that kept her gaze on the ground. “I will remember this day forever”

“Sure you had fun..” Taeyeon glanced at Sunny for a sec “you were laughing the whole night..” Taeyeon sighed. “and please just forget what happened tonight..”

Sunny knew Taeyeon was a perfectionist, the whole thing in amusement park must kill her inside, so she did what she had to do. Sunny shortened their distance and kissed Taeyeon’s pouting lips.

Taeyeon forgot why she had a bad mood at the first place. Sunny’s soft lips were grazing her own slowly. No rush. Both of them wanted to savor the moment the right way.

Taeyeon nibbled at Sunny’s bottom lip. Sunny understood her girlfriend silent plea and opened , letting Taeyeon explored her warm cavern. Taeyeon guided her tongue outside and started to it gently.

Taeyeon’s hand started to wander from Sunny’s cheek, down to her arms, down to her waist, move southern to her plump butts and squeeze it gently.

Sunny felt something unusual going on

“Taeyeonnie..I feel wet” Sunny spoke breathless

Her byuntae girlfriend smiled. Satisfied that she made her girlfriend . “Let’s get inside and we’ll continue this in more comfortable place.” Taeyeon whispered at Sunny’s ear.

“No Taeyeon-ah, I literally feel wet.” Sunny looked down.

Taeyeon followed her gaze and realized that the floor was wet. She followed the stream and there was water flowing down from her apartment.

“Taeyeonnie! Your apartment is leaking!”

 

When they opened the door, more water coming out of it.  Her apartment turned into some ankle deep pool. Taeyeon freaked out after she saw that almost all the furniture was wet and she hadn’t found the source of it.

“Maybe it comes from bathroom?” Sunny said, pointing the small stream of water came from under the bathroom door.

They opened the door slowly, afraid that there was some hazard inside and they were right.

They found the hazard in form of sleeping Jessica, sitting calmly inside the spilled of water bathtub, holding her purple toothbrush. Water came from the open tap.

 

Taeyeon right eyelid twitched. Her vain in her face popped. Her last string snapped that night.

“KIM SOOYEON!! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ?!!”


How's that?

Leave your thought at comment box okay?

Barney's out