Chapter 5

Soy Milk Lattes and Silent Baristas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He sits on the front stoop and stresses. If he had Minseok’s phone number he’d text or something, just to make sure that he’s okay…

Five minutes pass and then ten, and soon Luhan starts wondering whether he should track down the café’s phone number and try to get a hold of Jongdae or someone who might know Minseok’s whereabouts. He checks the door and windows again for a note or something that might give a clue to the missing boy’s location, and yet again finds nothing saying ‘Will be opening late Saturday due to personal matters.’ Or ‘Closed Saturday the 3rd’. He paces. He waits.

Class doesn’t start until twelve today so time really isn’t an issue, but he’s very worried about what could have happened to Minseok. He doesn’t know how the other gets to and from work, which presents issues as well. What if he walks? What if someone mugged him, or something? Mugging isn’t common in these parts, but it could happen. What if he hurt himself? Couldn’t hear the car coming and was hit…fell and…Oh god, he just has to call Jongdae. He doesn’t want to spend any more time not knowing.

Posted on the café’s door along with posters for local bands and conventions is the phone number under the words ‘contact us:’

Luhan dials the number quickly, counting the number of times it rings.

One…

Two…

Three…

Four…

Five…

It goes to voice mail, and Jongdae’s sunny voice says “Hello, this is Kim Jongdae speaking for Black Pearl Coffee Shop. I’m not able to take your call right now, but if you have a question about business hours or the products we sell, please refer to the website at www.blackpearlcafe.com. If you’re calling on personal business please feel free to leave a message. All soliciting numbers will be blocked.” Luhan groans and waits for the beep.

“Hello Jongdae, this is Lu Han speaking. I noticed that the café is closed today, and was wondering w—“

Jongdae picks up suddenly on the other end “Oh, Lu Han. Minseok told me that you might call.” He sounds a bit frazzled.

“He did? It’s okay, I don’t want to bother you.”

“It’s fine. Yeah, the café closed today, sorry for the inconvenience. I hope you two didn’t have plans together, the way he put it made him sound slightly distressed.”

“Oh, no. Is he okay?”

There’s a pause on the other end “For the most part. His roommate came home in the wee hours of the morning and Minseok had been locked out of the apartment for most of the night. He says he’s got a nasty chill is all, and not to worry about him.”

“Well, please tell him to get well soon for me.”

“I will,” Luhan can practically hear the smile in Jongdae’s voice “No, scratch that. How about I pass his number a long and you give him a text? I’m sure he’d appreciate it.” The cheery man sounds like he knows more about Luhan and Minseok’s relationship then he lets on.

“Er, um, okay.” Luhan jots down the number on a piece of scratch paper from his bag as Jongdae reads it to him over the phone. Once Luhan confirms that he’s got it, Jongdae sighs a little “Good. He’s been really happy the last few days, Luhan.”

“Oh?”

“Mmhm. I think you’ve been good for his self esteem. He’s really opened up.”

“Really?” Luhan is surprised “We’ve known each other for barely what…three days? I hadn’t noticed anything…”

“Oh, if you were related to him you’d know.” Jongdae laughs a sunny, golden laugh “It’s like magic. Okay, send him a text and cheer him up. Go.” He hangs up quickly and Luhan can picture the strong-jawed café owner grinning on the other end of the line.

He takes a look at the number, and then goes to the ‘Contacts’ section of his phone and puts Minseok’s name in.

Then he messages him.

Hello, this is Luhan. Jongdae gave me your number. I hope you’re feeling alright? Get well soon.

-L

He gets up, incredibly relieved that this situation isn’t more serious than it could have been, and receives two texts at the same time just as he is putting his phone in his pocket. Neither of them are from Minseok.

School’s closed, hell yeah.

-Sehun

 

Tree fell on campus, (minorly) injured a few. None of us, all okay. No class. J

-Yixing

 

That takes a considerable weight off his shoulders as well. Minseok isn’t hurt and no class? He can’t help but smile. It’s Saturday, he thinks to himself and he makes his way to the subway station, he might as well go explore for a while.

On the subway headed for down town he receives a reply text from Minseok.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter