Chapter 10 (second mini-chapter)

Soy Milk Lattes and Silent Baristas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Snow is piled on the steps of the subway as he disembarks and makes his way up to the white-covered world above. Pedestrians are hurrying past, mufflers and scarves pulled over their faces to protect themselves from the growing chill. As the air and frozen flakes hit him once again, Luhan is even more grateful for Minseok’s jacket, although it is a little short on the sleeves and hem. He joins the rest of the crowd hurrying back to their homes and businesses, and pulls his hat down farther over his ears which are starting to feel a bit raw from the wind chill.

Passing the café, he can see Jongdae inside stacking chairs on tables, mop in hand. Looking around at the growing snow storm outside, Luhan decides to stop for a moment and say hello. The apartment is close enough to run home once they’re done chatting.

He knocks on the door and Jongdae glances up, and then grins when he sees Luhan’s face. He sets down his mop and jogs over to open the door for him. Stepping inside, Luhan is hit with a blast of warm air that smells wonderfully of coffee and cinnamon. He removes his hat and shakes out his hair, feeling himself defrost. “I didn’t expect to see you here,” says Jongdae “I thought for sure that you’d be inside.”

“I was on my way home from Minseok’s, actually, and I thought I’d stop by.”

“Well I’m happy to have a visitor. How are you?”

“I’m well, thanks,” Luhan smiles and Jongdae offers him a chair, which he accepts and sits down gratefully “And you?”

“I’m doing just fine! Business has been a bit slow, but we can thank the weather for that.” Jongdae gestures at the growing storm outside “Other than that, I’m in good shape. How is Minseok? The phone lines are out and so I couldn’t get through to him.”

“He’s fine! Cheery as usual. Not sure if he slept well, though. He was up a few times during the night.”

Jongdae nods “Alright, good. Is there enough food in the house?”

“Yes, we went shopping yesterday evening and I think there’s enough to get him through at least a few days.”

“Okay…I just needed to make sure.”

Luhan is suddenly reminded of last night’s cake adventure and feels the need to tell Jongdae about it “Hey, Jongdae?”

“Hmm?” Jongdae glances at him, looking a bit worried “What is it, Luhan?”

“Well, I have a question about something that happened.”

“Oh? What happened? I’ll do my best to answer you…”

“Okay, you see, last night Minseok and I decided to make a roll cake, but when it was finished and we tried it…um…”

“He freaked out, didn’t he…” Jongdae looks sympathetic “Yeah, that happens sometimes.”

“Oh. I’m accepting he’s got a bad memory tied to the flavor?”

The stron

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter