Chapter 18

Soy Milk Lattes and Silent Baristas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I should probably get dressed, I have to go help clear out the apartment later… Minseok is drying dishes as Luhan washes them, and takes a moment to scribble the note between plates. Luhan takes his hands out of the soapy water and wipes them on his pants, leaving long damp patches, Okay. We’re almost done, and then I’ll leave you to it. If you guys need another hand clearing it out I can help, too.

Minseok nods and picks up the dish towel again, signing More hands are always good, before wiping the water droplets from a coffee mug.

They finish up with the dishes in what seems like no time, stacking them in a few small stacks in the pristine cabinets above the kitchen counter next to the mugs and glasses. Minseok stands back to admire their work, running a hand slowly through his pastel hair and causing it to stand on end.

That was fast. I’ve never washed dishes with a helper before.

Really? I guess you don’t live with roommates like I do.

Yeah. I usually don’t have very many dishes either but they’ve been building up lately.

True. I use a lot of plates, sorry.

Well at least my dish soap is getting used!

Yes, Luhan cracks a little smile, Okay, let’s go get dressed…?

Good idea.

Luhan wears yesterday’s pants and borrows a clean shirt of Minseok’s, a clean white number with blue detailing on the pocket and stitching. It fits him well and he is half tempted to go out and purchase one from himself.

His boyfriend spends extra time in the bathroom this morning- presumably preening himself down to the last centimeter to be in perfect condition for today’s adventure. When he finally appears- dressed in a black button down and fitted slacks, hair expertly styled with a nice-smelling gel, Luhan poses an important question; Who else will be there? Clearing out the house, I mean?

I’m not sure. Minseok leans on the wall looking solemn but thoughtful, He hadn’t begun writing a will yet, so no one knows what he wanted people to have when he died or if he had even thought about that. Mostly close family and friends, though. My aunt and uncle, cousins. You qualify.

Luhan nods, hoping that he’ll be fortunate enough to meet Minseok’s parents in a less mournful setting, Are you ready to go?

Yeah. Do you have a bus pass?

Right here.

Okay, let’s go.

“Ah, who’s here?” there are voices inside the house when they arrive on the doorstep, shivering slightly in the frigid air. The door is open slightly, and there are people moving around inside “Oh, it’s Minseok and Luhan.” They know his name?

The door is opened more and a woman is standing there in a sweater and jeans. She must be Minseok’s aunt, Luhan realizes. She has Jongdae’s short stature and smiling eyes, although hers are rimmed with red from nights of crying. She looks them over, a sad smile playing on her lips, and then looks to Luhan “Hello, I’m Kim Sunjung. I am, well I was, Jongdae’s mother.” She purses her lips, and Luhan feels another pang of sadness “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs.Kim. I’m Lu Han. Jongdae was a good friend to me.”

The woman nods, looking melancholic “Well, you two had better come inside,” she reaches out to give both of them a warm hug “We don’t want anyone catching colds. I’m afraid I don’t speak sign language, would it be alright for you to translate for me?”

Luhan nods, looking around at the foyer. It is simple and small, painted a sunny yellow with a few rusty red accents. She gestures for them to take off their shoes and coats and then beckons them into the living room where the rest of the group is waiting to begin the project. The house smells of Jongdae, coffee and aftershave, and although it is cozy and comfortable the entire place has an air of mourning about it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter