Island Rendezvous

Chances Are

I woke up to the bright light coming from the window.  I glanced at the clock, it was 7 o'clock in the morning.  Oh God my head hurts.  Where am I?  Realization dawned on me and I bolted right up.  My sudden movements made me feel woozy and I fell back on the bed.  How did I get into my bedroom?  I tried to recall last night’s event then a wave of embarrassment and pain passed through me.  Shame was all I could feel. How was I going to face Taec today.  Suddenly, I heard a faint knock on the door.

"Open the door, Gui Gui.  It's me.  I know you're awake."

I slowly got up and as soon as I opened the door I was immediately engulfed in Eta's embrace.  

"Oh, you poor, sweet girl," she cooed.

I felt blessed to have a loyal friend.  Eta has been my confidant and source of support all these years.

"How did I get to bed last night?" I asked.

"Taec carried you here and tucked you in.  He's really a nice guy.  He stayed with you until you fell asleep."  

Great.  Now I really feel like a schmuck.  I just wished I did not behave terribly last night.

"You don't have to rush," Eta said.  "Taec asked PD-nim last night to begin filming at 10 o'clock.  He said you needed to have enough rest for today's shoot."

Taec is really a considerate guy.  I never expected that of him.  He's the exact opposite of the beast image he portrays in public.  I was grateful for all he did for me last night.  

I showered and got dressed then I remembered that today we are shooting the wedding.  Shoot! My eyes are a little puffy.  Ah, I'll give the make-up team something to work on. Eta told me to head out into the veranda where Taec and the crew were waiting.  As I descended the stairs, I saw Taec waiting for me in the lobby.  A staff pointed out to him that I was on my way down.  He immediately looked up in search for me.  His beautiful smile brought warmth to my heart. As soon as I was at eye level with him, he extended his hand, gesturing for me to take it.  I took his hand without hesitation.  Remembering last night's event suddenly made me shy around him. He felt my hesitation and shifted his stance to face me.

"Please don't be shy.  I was glad to be there for you last night.  It's okay.  Everything will be okay."

"I don't really know what to say but thank you, Oppa.  Thank you for being with me last night when I needed someone.  I'm really sorry I got you worried."

"Hush now.  It's okay. I really didn’t do much."

"It meant a lot to me."  He lightly squeezed my hand and grinned widely at me.

"Well then good morning.  Tada!" He pointed at the table that was prepared in the veranda.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Since today is a special day for you and me, I have prepared breakfast for us," he said excitedly.

"But you hate breakfast, Oppa."

"Today is an exception.  I can be reasonable sometimes, you know.”

As if all my worries were forgotten, I had enjoyed a hearty meal with him.  I knew he was doing his best to cheer me up and I felt truly grateful.  He arranged for all my favorite food to be served including the dessert.

We took a stroll down the beach and Taec showed me the venue for our virtual wedding.  There was a gazebo along the shore with a pathway of white and red rose petals.  The decor was simple and yet elegant.  The location has just its touch of nostalgia.  The sound of the waves, the blue sky and the beautiful weather - it's as if the heavens is blessing us.  It was a very simple wedding.  It was just the two of us but Taec managed to make it very special.

As we were walking down the aisle, I started to feel emotional.  Even if this was just a virtual marriage but these feelings were so real to me.  In my heart, I desperately wanted it to be real.  

After reading our vows, Taec pulled out our wedding rings.  As he was slipping the ring on my finger, he stopped midway and looked at me tenderly.  He was choking up on his words but then managed to clear his throat and continued with the ceremony.  That brief moment we were staring into each other's eyes, I saw deep sadness. Was he feeling emotional too, or was he missing someone?

We had a lag time of 5 hours before our next shoot.  Taec and I changed into our casual clothes in prep for our next agenda.  Taec was waiting for me outside of my dressing room.  As soon as I stepped out, he motioned for me to follow him.

"Where are we going?"

"Just keep up with me."

We walked a few miles along the shore.  We were so far away from the filming crew. Up ahead was a lush plantation of mangrooves.  It was a sight to behold.  It was quite an isolated part of the island.  We climbed up some boulders so we won’t get wet.  Taec held my hand the whole time to make sure I won’t fall.  He had enough of my clumsiness, having witnessed it first hand.  

I couldn't believe what I saw. In the middle of the lush vegetation was a floating cottage decorated with bright fresh flowers. The cottage was made up entirely of coconut and bamboo materials.  In the middle of the cottage was a hammock lined with soft white linens.  I was mesmerized!

 

Gui Gui's eyes were so bright and wide when I showed her this little piece of paradise.  I asked the locals for a romantic getaway were I can bring my wife and they showed me this place.  I could not describe the satisfaction I felt upon seeing her surprised expression.

"Oh my God, Oppa.  How did you find this place?  It's so beautiful!"

"Secret."

She smacked me gently in the arm as she kept saying "wow", "awesome".  As we stepped into the cottage, Gui Gui could not contain her glee.  She was inspecting every nook and every little thing she could find.  The seashells that were perched on the little table fascinated her. She took one of the shells and placed it on her ear and was looking into the ocean.

“Are you superstitious Oppa?”

“I could be, I suppose.”

“Do you believe in mermaids?”

“Yah! I thought you don’t know what mermaids are.”

“Hahaha, just kidding.  You look cute in the that mermaid dance.” She covered and was shaking with laughter.

“Ay jinjja, you brat!”

Still laughing, she turned to look at the horizon once again and placed the shell on one ear.

"My grandparents said that you can hear the ocean when you put this in your ear.  They said that the mermaids voices are mesmerizing but human ears can not hear their songs.  They use these shells to lure us to the sea.  Sailors are helpless when they...."

She stopped talking when she did not hear me answer.  She turned around in search for me.  I was standing at the opposite corner from where she was, just silently watching her.  Her beauty, pure heart and innocence endeared her to me.  The whole time during the wedding ceremony, I had said a fervent prayer to the One above to make her my wife, my real wife.  She suddenly panicked and ran towards me.

"Wae Oppa, are you okay? Are you hurt?"

I chuckled.  "I'm okay sweetheart, I'm just admiring the view from here."

She blushed at the name I called her but her lips curled up into a smile as she looked down.  I took both her hands into mine and asked her to look at me.  She was still blushing but she lifted her head anyhow.  I stared deeply into her eyes and she stared back.  This time she didn't look away.  I slowly raised my hand to touch her cheek.  She didn't recoil from my touch.  Closing her eyes, she rested her cheek on my palm.  She looked content, safe and happy.  A cacophony of emotions was surging through me.  I've never felt these raw emotions with anyone.  It felt like I found the missing piece of me.  She completes me.  She brought her hand up to where my heart was and closed her eyes once again.

"Hmmm.  I can hear your heartbeat, Oppa.  The melody is beautiful."

"I know" was my only answer.  My heart was singing melodies because she's with me.  That was the only rational answer.  Unable to contain myself, I hugged her passionately.  She hugged me back.  She surprised me as she kissed the palm of my hand. I hugged her even tighter and then brought my head down to kiss her hair.

"Gui Gui, what I said to you at the proposal, it comes from my heart."

"I know, Oppa."

"Please keep that letter to remind you how I truely feel about you."   I placed one finger under her chin so I could raise her head.

"Is it okay if I kiss you?"

She nodded once and then closed her eyes.  Our breathing suddenly became uneven then everything around us fell silent.  All I could hear was our beating hearts.  I brought my head down to kiss her gently on the lips.  As soon as our lips touched, it felt like a bolt of lighting had struck me. I was in seventh heaven.  Though she felt shy, she kissed me back.  The sensation I felt was overwhelming.  We kissed passionately for I do not know how long.  Time stood still for us.  I did not even realize that we were already nestled in the hammock cuddled together.

 

The sun was setting and it’s starting to get dark.  Neither one of us wanted to leave our dreamy recluse but we have responsibilities to fulfill.  With heavy feet, we headed back to the hotel.

We were met with questioning looks from the crew when we got back.  No one knew where we went.  All they knew was that we asked for some alone time so we can explore the island.  Eta in particular was giving me a peculiar stare.  She was giving off a silent warning to give her all the details later.  I nodded once to assure her that I got her message.  Taec and I acted as if nothing happened between us that day.  Being able to hide our true emotions from the public was one advantage that comes along with our profession.  We can deceive everyone else but not Eta.  I mentally prepared myself for a long night of explanation later and cringed at that thought.

As soon as we got back to the hotel room, the interrogation began.

"Sit" Eta ordered.

"So, what's the story?" she inquired.

"What story?" I retorted.

"Don't play innocent with me young lady.  Did you happen to see your face when you got back?"

"My face? What? No." I was confused with her question.

"You looked like you just got laid! Were you?"

"What?! What sort of question is that? Hell, no!"

"Well, I'm glad to be proven wrong. But you were just glowing, I mean both of you were. You couldn't even wipe the smirk off your faces.  And the way you stood so close together and held each other's hands, lucky if a bug could pass through!"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Hell yeah! At least to me it was.  So, are you going to tell me or should I extract it from you piece by piece? It's your choice, either way I'm getting my answers."

"Can't I get some privacy around here?" I pleaded with her using a lot of aegyo.

"Nope, can’t do.  Those things don't work on me honey."

"Yah, you're so nosey!" I laughed as I threw a pillow at her, which she gracefully dodged.

I told her everything about our escapade and the kiss.  I left off a few details.  I felt like some of those moments only belonged to Taec and I.

"You what??!!! Oh you naughty girl!" She was on the floor giggling like she just got zapped.

"So the mighty Taecyeon has fallen under your spell."  She said it as if I had won the lottery.

"I guess so" was all I could answer.  Eta kept looking at me like I was sort of a misfit.

"Stop looking at me like that, you freak me out,” I complained.

"It's just that I wonder how you did it.  You see, based on my research about Taec, alot of women were throwing themselves at his feet but the guy won't budge.  He's like rock solid."  She was mock punching her hand to prove her point.    

"They said he's a very sincere guy.  He doesn't play around with this kind of stuff. You hear scandals about him here and there but they were just plain hearsays just to sell a magazine.  You're not even close to his ideal type and yet.... Bravo! Bravo!" she applauded.

"Yah, you make it sound like I'm not a good catch!"

"Oh, you're a good catch, silly.  A very good catch in fact.  Any guy would be so lucky to have you.  It's just that he has mentioned the qualities of the girl he wants to date and none of them match you."

"He has an ideal type?"

"Yup! So there must be something he saw in you that had brought his walls crumbling down.  Hmmm..."

I do not know what to say.  I was just being myself around him.  Suddenly my phone rang.  Eta took a quick glance at my phone to see whose calling.

"Oopps, lover boy calling. I'm out. Night.  See you in the morning."  Eta left me to give me some privacy.  She's one true friend I can count on.

"Hello"

"Hi Gui Gui.  Is it a good time to call? Did I bother you?"

"Oh no Oppa.  I was just prepping for bed, its okay."

"About today...I'm sorry I behaved that way around you.  I just got carried away. I don't want you..." I stopped him mid-sentence.

"Oppa, that was the best day of my life. Thank you." I couldn't contain my smile as I said this.

"Really?" I could hear the excitement and disbelief in his voice.

"Really Oppa.  Today was very special to me. I will never forget."

"It was the best day of my life too.  I'm glad you feel the same way.  I just want to tell you that.  Sweet dreams sweetheart, I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight Oppa, sweet dreams." Then I hang up the phone. "Saranghe."

I lay in bed wide-awake for several hours reminiscing about our tryst in the island.  The way he held me, his kiss.  I felt an ache in I me did not understand.  It is as if my body has a mind of its own.  His smell, his touch, his body heat.  I want to feel him again, to savor his touch.  This need in me is building and he alone can satisfy it.  I closed my eyes so I can dream about him and slowly, I drifted off to sleep.