First Date

Chances Are

Surprisingly, I felt so rested.  I've been dreaming, but my dreams were pleasant.  Today's the day we will be filming the wedding photo shoot.  I applied the necessary essentials last night to make my face look vibrant and rejuvenated.

"Good morning Gui Gui." My best friend and manager, Eta, greeted me.

"Mawnin, Eta," still yawning.

"You look rested and glowing."  She wasn't looking at me when she said this but she had a huge grin on her face as she was sipping her morning coffee.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked.

"Nothing," she mused.

"Aw, come on! Eta, it's not like we're keeping secrets around here. Spill the beans will yah?"

"Alright! Alright!" she finally conceeded.  "Well, I just think there's someone you find very interesting. That's why you're glowing."

"What? Oh give me a break!" I complained.  "That facial mask I used last night was wonderful that's why my skin looks good!"

"Reason away if you want but that's baloney.  Gui Gui, we've been friends for so long, I know you in and out.  It's not that we are keeping secrets here, right? Look, I understand if you dont want to talk about it, I'll give you your space.  When you're ready to talk, I'm just here."

I hugged my best friend tightly.  "Thank you Eta, for everything."

"Alright now, it's too early for all the drama.  Get ready, don't want us to be late."  She whipped me in the to dismiss me.

While in the shower I pondered on what Eta said.  Am I in love?  Yes, I was attracted to him the moment I saw him but in love? That is such a strong word. But here I am getting so hyped up about seeing him in a few hours. I felt that our trip to the studio took too long, I just can't wait to see him.   

He was talking to the PD when we arrived and didn't see me coming.

"Anneonghaseo," I greeted them.

He spun around so quickly and looked so delighted to see me.  "Good morning, Gui Gui.  It is always a pleasure to see you."  We just stood there smiling at each other like idiots.  We were wrapped up in our own little world that we barely noticed PD-nim looking at Taec then me, back and forth, back and forth.  Finally, he looked at Eta for answers but she just shrugged her shoulders.

"Ahem." The PD cleared his throat, cutting our connection.  "Alright kids, today will be very quick.  Both of you will be trying out clothes for your photo shoot.  Gui Gui, you'll be wearing 3 different gowns of your choosing and Taec, you have to wear 3 suits as well.  How you choose them is entirely up to you.  As soon as you have made your selections, we will begin the shoot."

 

Gui Gui looked so beautiful in those gowns.  She looked so stunning and happy, a picture of a woman in love.  I was suddenly daydreaming.  I have envisioned myself happily getting married to her.  I can see our future -- so bright and full of promises. Having beautiful children and growing old together.

"Oppa, you like?"

"I like it," I beamed.

Somehow, when she calls me Oppa, my heart melts and I felt that there is nothing I wouldn't do for her.  The way she says it is like a carress, a spell, and I'm powerless against it.

"How about you, have you made your choice?" she asked.

"I have, but I want your opinion."

"I want to see you wear them Oppa."

I tried all the tuxedos for her to peruse.  "Oppa, you look so moa," she said with huge sparkling eyes.   I can clearly see that she was impressed and internally, I was so pleased.

There is something I wanted to find out for myself.  I got myself believing that we somehow have a mutual understanding.  But I needed to know if she truly feels the same way.

One of the shots required us to stand so close together, face almost touching while looking into each others eyes.  This is my chance.  I gathered all my courage, I needed to know.  As soon as she raised her head to look at me, I stared deeply into her eyes.  In that instant, I saw her soul, her heart.  I couldn't believe how much I saw, her eyes said it all.  She feels deeply for me but is afraid to show it.

She couldn't hold the intensity of my gaze and broke off laughing.   She suddenly became very coy and kept staring at the ground saying that she felt hot, although we were filming in the garden in the middle of winter.  I felt guilty that I made her feel uncomfortable.  I made up for it by coaxing her to relax and just be herself.  Eventually we were able to complete the photoshoot.

"Gui Gui," I called her attention.  "Remember today I'll be picking you up from your hotel at around 5pm."

"Yes, Oppa.  I remembered.  I'll be ready by then."

"I need you to come out from the kitchen exit which is way down in the basement.  Someone will meet you as soon as you get there and he will guide you to the exit.  You can’t be recognized by anyone, it wont be safe for you.  I will be waiting for you in a black tinted sedan.  As soon as I see you, I will open the door and you have to get in as fast as you can, okay."  She nodded to confirm that she understood.

I arrived at the Ritz 10 minutes before 5 o'clock.  I was so looking forward to this first date, well, not really a real date, sort of like "hanging out".  There were many things I wanted to tell her.  Whether this is the right time or not, I wasn't sure.  I will have to see how it goes, play it by ear.  I was getting nervous and impatient, the wait is driving me insane.

At exactly 5 o'clock, the exit door cracked open.  I could see a silhouette of a petite girl coming out. I recognized Gui Gui's small frame and I immediately opened the passenger door.  Seeing the sign, she quickly got in the car and shut the door behind her.

Even out of breath, her first gesture was to look at me and smile.  Her smile always brought warmth to my heart.  "Hi Oppa, long time no see," she jokingly greeted me.

"Yah, we just separated for 2 hours and you missed me already?"  We both cracked up at our silly jokes.

"You're good with your disguise, did anyone recognize you?" I asked.

"I guess not.  That kitchen guy was really nice.  He made sure no one was following me.  How did you know him and make him do us a favor?"

"It's who you know.  He's a very good friend of the family and he understands the nature of our job.  When you're a local you know how to make things work to your advantage.  I already sent a thank you package to his family for all the trouble he did for us."

"That was so thoughtful of you.  So, what's the agenda, Oppa?"

"Is there any specific place you'd like to see?"

"Not really.  You're my date tonight so you decide what's best."

"Too bad, I didn't really plan something fancy for our first real date," I teased.

"It's okay, Oppa.  Being with you is enough."  She was looking straight ahead when she said this but I could feel her sincerity.

"I'm really glad to know that you like being with me.  I feel the same way".  

For a few minutes there was just silence in the car.  All I could hear was my heart beating, and then she sighed.  I looked to see what made her upset but she was just wringing her hand and was deep in thought.  Finally, she broke the silence.

"Oppa, about this afternoon during the photo shoot with your friends...."

"It's okay Gui Gui, you were just being honest.  You don't need to please me."

"But Oppa, I wasn't being honest.  I was more afraid you'd say no again that was why I said no.  I was hurt when you said no the first time.  I didn't want to get hurt again.  I didn't really think you'd be interested to date me outside of the show.  You're here and I'm in Taiwan. You always have a packed schedule.  I'm not sure you would even have the time.  And more importantly, I'm so different from you and I think I'm really not your type."

"Gui Gui please let me explain.  The reason I said no to skinship was because I do like you and I don't want people, and you especially, to think that I'm just doing it for the show.  I didnt wan't us to feel compelled to do it just for people's entertainment.  When I said yes to dating you for real, I really meant it.  Whatever it is that we have right now, I want to cherish it.  It makes it more special to me just to be with you like this without the whole world looking at us.  I want to protect you.  I don't want people judging you because they know nothing about you.  I don't care if they judge me, I can deal with it."

I stopped the car atop one of the hills so that we were in full view of Seoul.  The city lights were spectacular giving off a romantic feel.  Gui Gui was still looking at her clasped hands without saying a word.  I was starting to worry I scared her with my revelation.  Finally, she raised her head and looked at me.

"The truth is I do like you too, Oppa.  I feel so happy when you're with me.  It's like you're my family here.  I really want to get to know you more.  I hope you'll take the time to get to know me.  Others are quick to judge me for what they hear, read or see on tv."

"Gui Gui, I'm not one to judge.  I have a less perfect life myself.  I would really love to know you more. And while you're here, I'll be your family."  She smiled at me warmly and then she reached out to touch my right arm.

"Thank you, Oppa.  Then let's be happy! Shall we jump to it?"  

We were howling in the car like crazy.  Trust Gui Gui to ruin the romantic ambiance.  We spent the night like that, laughing and just enjoying each other's company.  I had brought food and drinks for us to enjoy while marveling at the scene before us.   We talked about anything, mostly funny things that happen to us at work and the things we look forward to.

"Thank you, Oppa for bringing me here.   This is such a nice place.  I never thought Seoul could be this beautiful at night."  

"I come here often when I wanted to escape.  This place just allows me to reconnect with myself.  I get to think and calm my nerves.  I'm glad I get to share this haven with you.  You're the only person I've ever brought here.  Thank you for spending some time with me tonight."

"Do you want us to jump to that again?", she said while laughing really hard.

"Aish, this girl!" I complained while laughing with her.

"Seriously, Oppa.  I'm so honored.  I'll miss you terribly in the coming days.  Please think of me once in awhile."

"I sure will.  I hope you'll think of me too.  Please say a prayer for us as well.  This is our comeback concert, I hope it will be a success."

"You'll always be in my thoughts, Oppa.  Everything will be alright, I promise."  

And with that, she laid her head on my shoulder.  I opened my palm as a gesture asking for her hand.  She clasped her hand into mine, fingers intertwined.  Ah, the glory of love.  I've never been happier.  We stayed that way for God knows how long until I noticed the time.  Holy cow, it was 2 o'clock in the morning!

"Gui Gui, I need to take you home now.  My flight is at 6 o'clock today.  Your manager must be so worried."

"Oh no! Oppa, I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the time.  My manager knows I'm with you."

I drove her back to her hotel with our hands still clasped together.  I was so overjoyed, I didn't even feel exhausted.  As we reached her hotel, I couldn't help feeling sad that we are parting again.

"Thank you for tonight, Gui Gui.  I had a wonderful time."

"No, thank you, Oppa.  Please be safe and be well.  Take care of yourself, promise me."

"Arrasso."

Then she leaned towards me and gave me a soft peck on the cheek.  "Goodbye, Oppa, til we meet again."  Then she was gone.