Awakening

Chances Are

The blaring sound of the monitors jolted me awake. What was happening? The waves were so erratic.  Taec was seizing violently.  I frantically pushed the call light.

 

“Oh God, please don’t. Help! Help us!  Taec…please!”  I held on to him crying hysterically.  “Help, help him please!”

 

A team of doctors and nurses came barreling through.  One of them held me and was pulling me away from him. 

 

“I’m sorry Ms. Gui Gui but I have to get you out of the way,” she said.

 

“Please help him, you must keep him alive, please I beg you.”

 

“We will do our best.  For your safety, I would like you to give us some space,” she instructed calmly.

 

They worked so fast on him. One was injecting some medications through his intravenous fluid while the others stripped his chest bare.

 

“All clear?” one asked.

 

“All clear!” another one confirmed.

 

The doctor brought down two steel paddles to his chest and shocked him. He was jostled a few inches from the bed as the shock was delivered.  They repeated the cycle a few more times. I couldn’t bear to see this.  I was on the floor curled against the wall sobbing uncontrollably.  It was so hard to breath and my heart was torn.  I was so afraid.  He must not die.  He can’t leave me.

 

I did not notice when they stopped.  I felt a hand tap me in the shoulder.  I looked up to find the doctor smiling kindly at me.

 

“Doctor is he okay?” I turned to look at Taec and he was motionless once again. My hands were shaking violently.  He must have noticed my frightened expression and held my hand. 

 

“Ms. Gui Gui, he’s safe now.” 

 

I burst out crying then breathed a sigh of relief.  “Thank you doctor, thank you so much.” 

 

“He was having a lot of brain activity and in response his heart was beating so fast.  We gave him a few shocks to bring his heart back to its normal rhythm. I don’t want to give you false hope but what you saw today might be a good sign.”

 

“A good sign?” I asked with a bewildered expression.

 

“Yes, perhaps.  You see that monitor up there?” He pointed to one of the many monitors on the wall.  “That is called an electroencephalogram.  It measures brain activity.  He appears to be showing a lot of brain activity, it might mean that he is starting to wake up.”

 

“Wake up? But why is he so still again?”

 

“We gave him something to calm him down to help his heart and brain.  Right now he’s safe.  Let us just hope for the best.  He is one lucky guy – he has you.”

 

I went to his bedside and lay my head against his chest. His heart was still beating and he was breathing effortlessly.  I caressed his face and kissed him on the lips.

 

“You were always a fighter.  You never gave up on things no matter if your chances of winning are nil.  You gave a good fight, I’m so proud of you.  Until now, you’re holding on.”  I his hair as I continued my soliloquy. 

 

“I miss you so much, Oppa.  I want to see your smiling face again.”  I brought his hand to my face and pretended that he was touching me.  For now I can rest knowing that he was okay.

 

 

It was too bright.   I tried to readjust my eyes so I could see well.  I see shapes, figures.  I don’t know what to make of them.

 

“Son, can you hear me? Please squeeze my hand.”  I heard someone say.  Her voice sounds familiar.  I mustered the remaining strength I had to squeeze her hand.  I felt too tired and too famished.  Wherever this place is, I was glad someone found me.  I thought I would never make it through the desert.

 

“Oh! Taec’s awake. Thank you dear God!”  I heard her say once again.  She knows my name.

 

“Wahhterr…” I managed to croak.  “Water…water…”

 

One kind stranger gave me sips of water.  I felt my strength resurging.  My thirst was quenched.  My head felt groggy, my body still felt heavy.  I should rest more.  I wanted to thank the stranger who helped me.  I squinted my eyes so I could see well.  They were crowding around my…bed?  I’m lying on a bed?  What’s this on my nose? I tired to remove the tube that was on my nose but someone held my hand to stop me.

 

“It’s okay, let him take it off.  I don’t think he needs it anymore,” said one unfamiliar voice.

 

“But doctor…” that same familiar voice insisted.

 

“He’ll be fine Mrs. Ok, trust me,” said this male voice.  My mother is here?  She must be so worried about me.

 

“Ummaaaa…?”

 

“I’m here son, I’m here,” she said in between sobs while my face.

 

“Umma, don’t cry.  I’m alright.”

 

“Yes, son.  I’m glad you’re awake now.  Everyone is here.  We’ve been waiting for you for a very long time.”

 

“I’m sorry Umma.  I got lost.  I’m so glad you found me.”

 

“It’s okay, son.  You should rest some more.  What’s important is you’re home now.”

 

I could see their faces clearly now.  They were the bright and happy faces of my family and cherished friends.  But there was one face I did not recognize.  I guess I don’t have to worry about that now.  I could rest some more knowing I’m in safe hands.  Not too long, I drifted back to sleep.

 

In my dream, those two beautiful children appeared once again.  This time they were waiting for me at the shore.  The island was magnificent.  It had white sand and was covered with fruit-bearing trees.  There were flowers of different types and colors and the animals were tamed and friendly.  As soon as my canoe reached the shore, they beckoned to me to come closer.

 

“Kind Sir, we’re glad that you’ve made it here safely,” the boy greeted.  He was always the talkative one while the little girl was the playful one.

 

“Oh, wow.  This place is awesome.  But I don’t know how you get around just by yourselves…it’s just… I’m worried about your safety.  You’re too young to be travelling by yourselves.”

 

“Cast your worries aside kind Sir.  We can fend for ourselves.  It is you we were worried about at the beginning but now you should be able to find your way.” 

 

He must be a very intelligent boy.  I’ve never met anyone who could speak so wisely and intelligently at such a young age.  The little girl was more mischievous.  She horses around more and doesn’t say much but I could see that she has more strength.  Together, they appeared invincible.

 

The little girl handed me a piece of luscious red apple.  She was prodding me to take it.  She squealed with delight as I took it from her, happy that I accepted her gift.

 

“Oh, is this one of those delusional fruits? You know, that one which I can hold but I couldn’t really eat?  Just like the water in that pool?”  They both found my comment funny and giggled.

 

“No Sir, this one you can definitely eat.  You need your strength, you have a long journey ahead.”

 

“Another journey?”

 

“Yes.  But this is your paradise.  This had once belonged to you, now you can have it back.  In your long journey, you can bring this paradise with you.  Everything you need is here.  Along the way, there will be more turbulence.  All you need is your faith, courage and your strength.  Let your heart guide you when you feel confused.  Your heart sees what your eyes can not see.”

 

“You’re very wise little one.  What are your names?”

 

“Someday soon you will know.”

 

“Wait, so you’ll not be coming along?”

 

“No, kind Sir.  You’ll be taking this journey alone.”

 

“Will I see you both again?”

 

“It depends on you.  How this journey ends depends on you.”

 

I looked over at the horizon.  The sea was calm, the sky blue and the sun was shining. This must be heaven’s blessing for my new journey.  I looked behind me and found that I was alone, the children where nowhere in sight.  I forgot to thank them again.  It's strange that they can just vanish in thin air.  Each time I see them, I always felt peaceful.  There's no word I can use to describe that feeling.  Like its ethereal.  They have also given me renewed strength.  I have a feeling I will undoubtedly meet them again.  It was like a piece of my being was anchored to them.  From now on, I will just move forward and will not look back.