Miracle in Jeju

Chances Are

I was back in Taiwan for a few days to do some shows and product endorsements.  I was so glad to be home and in my own turf but somehow I don't feel the same.  I felt this emptiness and longing in my heart.  I felt incomplete.  Although I was in the company of good, old friends, I didn't find myself enjoying their companionship so much anymore.  One of them asked if I was sick and I gave her a lame excuse that I was.  In truth, I was lonely.  I missed him so much.

It has been 7 days since our first date.  I haven't heard from him, not a call or even a text.  I was starting to worry that he was just sweet-talking that night and didn't really mean a word he said.  Somehow, I kept tabs of his whereabouts.  From Japan they went to the Philippines and should be heading back to Korea in 2 days.  In 2 days I will also be flying back to Korea and then we'll resume filming on the third day.  There is a common adage saying that feelings or things could change once people sleep it off.  Could this be true for him?  Certainly, not for me.  All I think about all this time was him.  I listened to their songs over and over, it somehow comforts me.

Today is day 8, I'm all packed for my trip back to Korea tomorrow.  I wanted to go to bed early so I can get enough rest.  I was ready to put the light out when I heard my phone vibrate.  Someone sent me a text.

Hello Gui Gui, did you miss me?

I did not recognize this number.  It looked like an international number.  I texted back.

Sorry but who are you?

Nobody important but someone who missed you so much.

Oppa?

Oh, you're such a smart girl.  How did you know?

I thought you forgot about me.  I just know.  How was your concert?

You're never forgotten.  Sorry, it took me this long to text you. The concert was a huge success.  We didn't imagine such response from the fans after being in hiatus for 2 years.  We're truly grateful for the blessings. How are you?

I'm doing well, just a few things here and there.

I'll be back in Korea in 2 days but not until 11 o'clock at night.  I'll be seeing you 3 days from now.

I'll be in Korea too in 2 days.  It will give me time to rest before we start filming.

Do that.  We will be flying to Jeju Island that day.  We're supposed to do our wedding and honeymoon shoot there.  It's still really cold so pack enough warm clothes.

I will. Looking forward to seeing you.

Same here. I need to go now.  My members are shooting daggers at me.  See you soon. Night.

See you soon, Oppa, goodnight.

We were on our way to Gimpo International Airport and will be heading shortly to Jeju Island.  I was so restless along the way, different emotions were running through me.  I was excited, nervous, anxious and happy to be reunited with him.  As I got out of the cab, my feet felt so heavy and I started to feel sick to my stomach.  Then a familiar voice called out to me.

"Gui Gui...."

It was a faint sound.  I searched for the source of the sound.  That voice was calling me home.  I scanned the lobby of the airport, frantically searching. He stood out from the crowd.  His tall and muscular frame was all that I could see and nobody else.

"Gui Gui, it's so good to see you again." He held out his arms wide open for me.

I didn't realize that I was almost running towards him.  I could not care less what others think.  I hugged him tightly and he hugged me back.  I could feel his warmth in this cold morning and my heart swelled once again.

"I miss you, Oppa.  It's nice to see you again."

He held my shoulders so he could look at my face.  "I miss you more."  And hugged me again.

"Are you hungry?" he asked.  "Our flight is not until 8 o'clock, we still have time."

We ate a light breakfast of hot chocolate and danish.  Eventually, our flight got called in and soon we were taking off.  We sat beside each other and practically had the entire row to ourselves.  The staff and crew suspected that we have something brewing and gave us privacy and space.  We did a lot of catching up and talked about what we did in the last 10 days that we were apart.  It was an hour flight to Jeju but we never ran out of things to talk about.  What I like about the whole trip was that our shoulders and arms were constantly touching each other, neither one feeling awkward or shy.

Finally, we arrived at Jeju Island.  Before we head for our hotel we had to make a stop at Iho Teu beach to shoot some scenes.  Taec and I will be taking one car by ourselves, with a camera installed, of course.  Taec mentioned that he's been here twice together with his band and explained to me how beautiful the island is.  As we were stopped at the traffic light, Taec suddenly turned the camera off.

"Now we can have some privacy," he said.  I smiled at him, happy to be in our own little world once again.

"You looked thinner," he said. "Have you been eating well?"

"I didn't have much appetite but I ate what I could."

"I worry you'll get sick.  You have to take care of yourself better.  Don't worry I'll order a huge meal for us today."  

"Oppa.."

"Hmmm"

"Why did they choose this place for our wedding?"

"I suggested it.  I figured we can have more privacy here than in Seoul.  Jeju is known as a rendezvous for lovers.  I hope you'll like it here."  He then turns the camera back on as we got closer to the beach.

We frolicked at the beach and teased each other by spraying seawater.  We played rock, paper, scissors (our favorite game) and carry out the penalties with delight.  He was appalled when I sang and danced their debut song "10 out of 10".

"Yaaahh! What kind of choreography is that," he protested but couldn't hold his chuckle.

Next thing I knew, he was piggybacking me back towards the parking lot.  There was a shorter route but he took the longer route instead.  I was a little bit self-conscious as he was holding on to my thighs and my entire torso was plastered around his back.  I was not quite ready for this kind of contact but I was very grateful that he couldn't see my face.  I was worried too that I was too heavy, but he didn't complain.  

 

The seawater was cold but all I could feel were her warm embraces.  I was afraid I could get used to this and I'll go cold-turkey when she leaves. Despite her innocence and playfulness, she has a competitive and bratty side.  She hates to lose.  Though I love to make her win all the time, but I find it very humorous to see her defeated.  She looks like a cute mouse trying desperately to scare a gigantic cat who has her by the tail. I wasn't sure if she was conscious about it, but she used rocks most of the time when we play our favorite game. In order to bolster her confidence, I let her have her way sometimes.  Oh, how she gets so giddy and ecstatic like she won the biggest toy in the fair.