Chances Are

Chances Are

I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs.  For the first time in what seemed like a very long time, my sleep was peaceful.   Though tired and achy from our love making, I was fully content - very, very content.  I was glad he found me.  I was grateful he didn’t give up on us.  I felt hopeful once again.

 

“Good morning, sweetheart” he greeted and kissed me lightly on the lips.

 

“Oh! Good morning, Oppa.  You cooked breakfast?”  He held a tray of French toast, bacon, eggs and orange juice and set it in front of me. 

 

“I was wondering when you’re going to call me Oppa again.  I missed that.”  He smiled at me tenderly then my cheek with the thumb of his hand.  I just melted into his touch.  

 

“I prepared an American breakfast for you, I hope this is still your preference.”

 

“You didn’t have to, but, thank you for thinking of me.”

 

“You’re all I think of every single moment of my life.  Now eat up before it gets cold.”

 

“You might as well join me.”

 

“My aversion for breakfast has not changed but since you begged me to join you, then…I might as well.”  I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled.

 

“Are the kids awake?”

 

“Yes, I took care of them already.  They had their breakfast.  They’ve showered as well,” Taec said proudly.  I knew Taec would be a good father.

 

“I want to see them.  I want to tell them the truth about us.”

 

“Ok then.  I’ll get them for you.”  Taec suddenly stopped as he was about to exit the room and turned back to face me.  “Umm, you should probably put some clothes on,” he said with a wide grin on his face.  He looked smug.  “The children might ask a lot of…questions.  You know…about some stuff.  You know what I mean.  It might be difficult to explain to them.”  I began to feel flushed in the face.

 

“Oh, yes.  I know what you mean.  How could I forget?”  He snickered a laugh and I shooed him away.  A few minutes later, Taec showed up dressed in a tuxedo with a black tie.  He had a black shorts on, was holding a bouquet of pastel colored flowers and was walking barefoot on the carpet.  I took in his appearance with amusement.  What has gotten into that brilliant mind of his?

 

“Oppa, you looked, different.  Are you doing another show?”

 

“Do you like it?” he asked with a broad smile on his face.

 

“You always looked good in anything you wear.  So, what are all these?”  He stood beside me by the bed then, he began to kneel.  Oh no, I wasn’t prepared for this.  Tears began to trickle down my face without my permission.  I felt so overjoyed – extremely grateful to have my prince back.

 

“I don’t want to beat around the bush.  Fate and time had taken so much from us already.  I can’t afford to wait a little more.  I could have done this in a fancier way, like the last time in Venice.  But, I’m afraid that if I leave you even for a second, I will lose that chance forever.”  I turned to face him and his handsome face.  I saw so much love in his eyes.

 

“Gui Gui, I promise to love you always and forever.  I promise to cook your favorite breakfast everyday.  I will do my best to make you happy every single moment of our life together.  I will be your shoulder to cry on.  When you’re hurt, let me be the one to take away your pain.  When you cry, let me be the one to wipe away your tears.  I will be your slave for life.  No matter what happens, please remember that I will always find my way back to you.” 

 

Then he turned towards the door and called for the children.  Leon came through the door first dressed like his father.  He looked so handsome and all grown up.  I was worried he’s going to break a lot of girls’ hearts in the future.  His hair was gelled up and he was carrying a cushion in his hand.  On top of it was a glistening diamond ring.  Next, came Emma.  She looked so pretty in a white dress.  Her hair was tied in a ponytail and she held a bouquet of flowers.  She looked like a little princess, the prettiest princess I had ever seen.  I was held speechless.  My heart swelled with so much love.  This is my family.   The broken pieces of my life are finally coming together.  Now, I feel whole again.

 

“Gui Gui, you are my love and my life.  I want to spend eternity with you.  Will you marry me?”

 

I felt like the luckiest woman in the world.  What were our chances of being together for the second time?  Our chances were one in a million.  And yet here we are, continuing the love story that I thought was once doomed. 

“Yes, yes and yes!”

 

Taec lifted me off the bed and spun us around while tenderly kissing me.   He could barely contain his happiness.  We probably would end up making out again if not for the children.  He carefully settled me back on the bed while stealing a kiss or two.  Then he turned to the kids once again.

 

“Leon, can you please bring Daddy the ring?”  Leon gingerly carried the ring to his father.  Taec kissed him on the cheek and ruffled his hair.  “Thank you Leon.  Emma would you like to give Mommy those flowers?”

 

“Yes, Daddy,” Emma answered and Taec gave her a peck on the cheek as well.

 

Taec slipped the diamond ring in my hand and I recognized that it was the same diamond ring that he gave me when he proposed in Venice.  My eyes grew wide with surprise.  All this time, he had been carrying this ring with him while he was searching for me.  I had returned this ring to him after we both said our goodbyes.  Taec was paying close attention to my expressions and he was always right with his assumptions.

 

“You remembered,” he stated.  “Besides the fact that I am jjandori...” he covered his mouth to laugh at his joke.  “…this ring will always hold a special meaning for me.  Now, it’s even more meaningful.  With this same ring, you have accepted my heart for the second time.”

 

“Let’s set the record straight.  You’re not jjandori okay? In fact you splurge on me all the time.”  He laughed heartily at the memory.  “I could never love anyone else.  It has always been you.  You were destined for me as I was for you.  Thank you for not giving up on us.  Our children were the greatest gift you have given me.”

 

“They were my greatest gift as well.”  He lifted them both and set them on the bed beside me.  “They saved me.  They saved us.  Even before they were born, they were my guardian angels.  They lead me back to you.  When were they born?  I want to throw them the best birthday party ever.”

 

“The 5th of June, 2017.”

 

Taec looked at the children with great wonder and deep love.  He brought them closer to snuggle to him.  The children looked very content and blissful, happy to be wrapped in their father’s embrace. 

 

“They are indeed my little angels.  That was the day I regained my memory Gui Gui.  I must have felt your labor pains too for I felt a searing pain to my chest that day.  They released my locked memory so that I could find you and we could be a family once again.”

 

“So what are we going to do now?” I asked.

 

“I’m not letting you out of my sight not even for a second until our vows are sealed.  I’m afraid you’re going to slip away again.  Do you want us to stay here? I could live with that.  Or do you want us to live in Korea or Taiwan?  I want it to be your choice.”

 

I didn’t want to hide anymore.  I want to give my children that opportunity to take on the world one day, to explore its beauty and the endless opportunities it holds.  Besides, our families and friends didn’t know about their existence.  I do not want to deprive them of the love and affection that they could receive.  Our parents in particular, would be happy to hold their grandchildren and provide them guidance.    

 

  

***

 

 

The sun was high, the wind gentle.  We were lounging on our beach chairs watching our little twins playing in the sand.  Their laughter brought sweet melodies to my heart.  Beside me, holding my hand was the love of my life.  He was a protective father, alright, but he was also the gentlest.    

 

“She will be as beautiful as you are,” he declared.  He brought up one hand to rub my swollen belly.  We were expecting another baby girl.

 

“Stop flattering me.  My heart might burst open,” I teased.

 

“Ay, jjinja.  You’re still a brat.  Didn’t you notice? Emma has some of your feistiness.”  He smiled and shook his head.

 

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree,” I concurred.

 

“Indeed.  But I love everything about you, even your imperfections and flaws.  Someday, your hair may turn gray and your skin wrinkled, but to me you will always be the most beautiful woman.  Even in the after life, I would still be in love with you.”

 

I looked at him tenderly and his handsome face.  I have looked at his face countless times, from the moment I opened my eyes to the time I closed them and each time it mesmerized me.  His eyes were always full of love, his kisses filled with passion and his embraces always brought me warmth.

“Thank you for bringing us here in Jeju.  This is where our love blossomed and it will always hold a special place in my heart.”  I reached over to give him a kiss.  He kissed me several times more.

 

“I get chills down my spine whenever you kiss me like that,” he teased.  I smacked him gently in the arm.  “Hmm…tonight, you better get ready.”  He was puckering his lips and teasing me with his eyebrows while drumming his fingers against each other - like he had a grand, evil master plan.

 

“Taec!” I half scolded.  “My belly is so big now, I don’t even think it’s safe.”  Even as I was saying this I could already feel the moisture between my thighs.

 

“Don’t worry sweetheart, I already asked the doctor about it and he said it’s okay and it’s not going to harm the baby as long as…you know…it’s not too rough.  And we can always use other techniques, something that’s not too uncomfortable for you.” 

 

I grinned at him widely, already looking forward to tonight’s adventure.  I could never get enough of him.

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you more, Gui Gui.”

 

Who knew my story would have a happy ending.  I never thought I would live to see my happily ever after.  Dreams do come true.  As we stared into the horizon, I knew our future would be bright and happy.  With him by my side, I’m once again ready to take on the world.

 

 

-THE END-

 

 

 

 

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for taking this journey with me.  I had so much fun writing this story about our favorite couple. I hope you enjoyed it too.  Thanks to your encouragement and praises, I was able to persevere.  Just like all of you, it is my fervent wish that they would end up being a real couple one day.  After all, dreams do come true.  Until next time my friends.

 

                                                                          xoxo,

                                                                          jackofdiamonds