Chapter 5: Another first meeting

Gravity and other natural forces

Chapter 5

•  •  •

Yuri woke up from a gentle sleep. For the first time in months, she was not woken up by the sounds of the city, but rather from the sunlight coming in from the windows to warm her face. Sitting up, she yawned and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She blinked, adjusting to the bright light of the room. She turned around to find Yoona had already gone down. She kicked the sleeping bag off and went into the bathroom. On the washbasin she found her watch and the bracelet she always wore.

 

Her parents had given it to her on her thirteenth birthday and she’d worn it every day since then. Looking at her watch, she saw it was already 10:20. No wonder Yoona had already gotten up. Quickly she combed her hair and washed her face but she still looked dishevelled. She looked at herself in the mirror and pouted. Oh well. She changed back into her own clothes and put Yoona’s pyjama neatly folded on the bed. After that she went down the stairs but paused halfway.

 

Very faintly, she could hear a beautiful sound. It came from somewhere far away in the house and Yuri did not know where to begin to search in this grand house. She tip-toed her way through the kitchen, moved silently through two drawing rooms, pausing one time to admire a rather immense painting, almost knocking over an expensive looking vase in the dining room and eventually found the source of the sound in the music room.

 

Like every room in the house it was a large room with even larger windows, yet it never seemed pompous or flamboyant. It was as if the walls were saying: yes, we are made of money, but there’s no need to show off.

 

Yuri hid behind the doorway and looked at Yoona while she played. The white pianoforte was the only thing in the room save for two Victorian chairs, also white. Endearingly, Yoona was still wearing her pyjamas. Yuri smiled at that. She stood there listening for what felt like hours but could have only been mere minutes. Before Yoona could start playing another piece, Yuri applauded, stepping into the room.

 

‘’You’re really good, that was beautiful.’’ Yuri said. She felt fascinated. Although she didn’t know the slightest thing about classical music and hadn’t any idea whatever it was Yoona had just played, she felt moved by the wonderful sound she had produced. Or rather, that had been the pianoforte’s doing, but Yoona surely helped a little. Yoona was visibly embarrassed now and immediately stood up from the piano, like a little boy who was caught looking at naughty magazines.

 

‘’I didn’t mean to wake you, sorry.’’ She said.

 

Then she went to sit in one of the white chairs and signalled for Yuri to join her and so Yuri did. The room was nice and warm and the chair was very soft. Yoona swung her legs over one of the arms of the chair and rested her back against the other one. She looked like an overgrown baby wanting to sit on somebody’s lap. Both the girls closed their eyes then, enjoying the morning sun. There were both a bit tired and sat there dozing off a bit.

 

‘’Are you hungry? Our maid will be here soon to make us breakfast.’’ Yoona said then, grinning. Yuri sat up, surprised.

 

‘’You have a maid?’’ she asked, astonished. Yoona threw her head back and laughed.

 

‘’No, of course we don’t! No, no… we’re not actually that rich. It’s my friend, Joohyun, she’s a health freak and she’s afraid I’ll eat McDonalds every day and die without her food. She comes here multiple times a day, God knows where the girl finds the time, and cooks me food. That’s why I call her our maid.’’ She was still grinning mischievously when they heard the front door open. Yoona quickly jumped out of the chair, like a cat. She walked towards the door, pointing and whispering.

 

‘’That’s her right now! Don’t say anything about the maid stuff or she’ll be cross with me!’’

 

Yuri smirked and followed Yoona. The door was opened by Yoona and there stood a pretty girl, in one hand some plastic bags with some vegetables sticking out, in the other one a large bottle of what Yuri assumed was some kind of fruit juice. Before Yoona could say anything Yuri stepped in front of her.

 

‘’Hello,’’ she said, ‘’are you applying for the position of maid?’’

 

Behind her, Yoona broke out into tears of laughter.

 

•  •  •

 

Yoona felt irritated. She’d already missed the metro (twice), stepped into a large puddle of water (once), and dropped her phone (three times) today. Monday mornings were always a struggle. Luckily she’d made it to the classroom in time and so she stepped inside with a bright red head from the running, only to find nobody there. Tentatively, she took a couple of steps. She looked around once more, went out to see that yes, she had indeed gone into the right room, and sat down in the third row. She pulled out her phone and started playing some games to pass the time. After ten minutes, a boy walked in. Having become so immersed in her game, Yoona didn’t notice him until he was standing next to her and she gave a loud yelp. The boy smiled.

 

‘’I didn’t mean to scare you. Only I thought I saw some movement in this room and I was right. The class has been delayed, it’s only starting in two hours. The professor’s train has had some difficulties.’’

 

Yoona stared at the boy, deadpan, still holding her phone out in front of her.

 

‘’I’m too early?’’

 

‘’Yes, that seems to be the case.’’

 

Yoona’s eyes must have begun twitching for the man seemed to want to appease her. He went to sit next to her and Yoona put away her phone.

 

‘’So what now?’’ She asked. Today really was her day.

 

‘’Well, I’m afraid we’ll have to wait. I’m very sorry for your inconvenience. Your name is Im Yoona is it not? I take the same classes as you. My instrument is the piano as well.’’

 

‘’Really? God I’m so sorry but your name escapes me…’’

 

The man smiled as if it didn’t matter. He was quite handsome, Yoona thought. He was tall and had a good face, and his voice was gentle.

 

‘’Lee Seunggi.’’

 

Yoona threw her hands up in the air at that.

 

‘’Omo! I think I know you! Did you play in the Hall at the Cultural Centre?’’

 

He nodded awkwardly and let out a small chuckle.

 

‘’Yes, well, I’ve played there more than once but yes.’’

 

‘’You’ve recorded a CD! I do know who you are!’’ Yoona began to talk very excitedly now, recognizing him finally. When she’d been eight years old, she explained, her father had taken her to see a classical music recital at the local Cultural Centre. There, she’d seen a boy play the piano, and ever since then she had wanted to be able to make music that beautiful herself.

 

‘’I’ve heard you’re not so bad yourself. Unfortunately I haven’t heard you play before but I should like to.’’

 

Yoona lifted an eyebrow at that and smiled sheepishly.

 

‘’I don’t know, compared to a musical genius like you?’’

 

The boy laughed at that and shook his head.

 

‘’I’m sure you’re wonderful. Actually, I want to ask a favour of you if it’s not too much of a bother… since we’re stuck here anyway. Unless you wanted to go study in the library or something? You can tell me to piss off you know.’’

 

Yoona laughed and told him she wasn’t planning to go anywhere.

 

‘’Would you listen to the Shakespeare monologue I prepared? My English is terrible and I’m very anxious about doing it in front of the whole class. I thought if I could practice… I think we’ll be able to practice here, this room is almost always empty.’’

 

And so, ten minutes later, they were holding a Shakespeare-picnic with some crisps, chocolates and very bitter cups of coffee from the vending machines outside. After doing his bit (very well, Yoona might add), he told her to do her monologue as well.

 

‘’Absolutely not! I’m way too embarrassed!’’ She shouted and stuffed another piece of chocolate in . But Seunggi wasn’t having any of it.

 

‘’You must! I want to see it. The legendary milky white skinned Im Yoona! Do you have your monologue with you?’’ Yoona nodded and pointed to her bag. Seunggi had already dragged her to the platform in the middle of the room where he had just done his monologue. He went to Yoona’s bag and pulled it out for her. With glistening eyes he motioned for her to keep standing there. He pointed to the paper.

 

‘’I’ll read it, okay? I’ll read and you act it out.’’ Yoona pouted and rocked back and fort on her feet, softly mumbling protests but secretly enjoying the situation.

 

‘’Oh serpent heart, hid with a flowering face!’’ Seunggi began very loudly, in a ridiculous high voice that made him sound like a 50-year-old ahjumma rather than a handsome twenty-something student. Yoona tried to keep a stern face but failed horribly. Her motions were now just her arms flailing around.

 

Seunggi kept up this ridiculous act together with Yoona, his voice just growing louder and more excited, while her movements eventually evolved in some sort of dance. Yoona had joined in with the monologue now, for she already looked ridiculous. Still holding the paper, Seunggi moved closer to Yoona now, still singing-telling the monologue, approaching the last few lines.

 

‘’So fairly bound?’’ they shouted at each other’s faces for no reason the universe could ever explain. Yoona dramatically mimicking somebody stabbing her through the heart, and then with a loud thud on the floor falling on the ground. They both had tears in their eyes from laughing hysterically.

 

‘’Oh that deceit should dwell! IN SUCH A GORGEOUS PLACE!’’ they both screamed from the top of their lungs. Yoona rolled over and grabbed her belly. 

 

‘’That’s so funny oppa!’’ she breathed. Seunggi was still unable to speak, laughing. He went to sit cross-legged on the floor next to her.  

 

‘’Im Yoona,’’ he said, ‘’you’re quite the figure.’’

•  •  •

‘’Anyway, where were you the entire weekend? We missed you.’’ Sooyoung said, stuffing another piece of pork in . Yuri was cleaning the tables on the other side of the room.

 

‘’That’s right,’’ said Hyoyeon, who already had three pieces of pork in but found that no objection to talking, ‘’we went clubbing. Party hardy.’’ She and Sooyoung began a ridiculous dance involving their heads bobbing like they were pigeons.

 

‘’Some people actually care about their education. And I had work.’’ Yuri said, walking to the kitchen with some dirty plates.

 

‘’You were with that new friend of yours weren’t you?’’ Jessica said, smoothing her nails with a file. She put her hand out in front of her and then cutely put it on her cheek. It was Sica-aegyo.

 

‘’Yes!’’ Sooyoung and Hyoyeon both shouted. ‘’The princess! The pianist! Your new lover!’’ Hyoyeon said and put her head against Sooyoung’s bosom. They enacted a scene of Romeo and Juliet (or at least attempted to do something similar).

 

Jessica’s expression remained cold as ice. ‘’Ya, Hyoyeon, you really must stop saying whatever like that, Yuri might be offended.’’

 

Taking off her apron and paper hat Yuri shook her head. ‘’It doesn’t offend me. It isn’t true so it shouldn’t offend me. Besides, I think people like that should just do whatever they want.’’

 

‘’So cool! Yuri-yah, you’re too cool. How can we handle it?’’ Sooyoung said to Hyoyeon, pretending to be dumb-founded. Hyoyeon shrugged. Jessica didn’t react to the scene unfolding beside her at all. Yuri wondered why she was friends with these idiots.

 

‘’Seriously though, why aren’t you studying? You can’t spend all weekend just going to clubs and chase after boys.’’ She gulped down a shot of soju. Immediately Sooyoung and Hyoyeon signed to get them a glass as well. Sooyoung pushed Hyoyeon off her bosom and downed the heavy liquor in one gulp as well.

 

‘’We do study! We just came from a study session if you must know.’’ Sooyoung said matter-of-factly.

 

‘’Pfft, what did you study?  Kyungho’s face? Ouch! Don’t hit me!’’

 

‘’Don’t you want a drink, Sica?’’ Yuri asked, ignoring the two toddlers. Jessica just shook her head and went on examining her nails. Yuri played with her glass and looked at Sooyoung and Hyoyeon bickering. Suddenly, Yuri felt immensly tired. She felt that more often these days. It had been a long day at school, then at work in the restaurant. The soju did little to help her stay awake, and soon she fell asleep.

~ ~ ~

This is a repost.. I was figuring stuff out and I deleted this chapter..

well now I know how to manage my chapters kkk