Chapter 1: First meeting

Gravity and other natural forces

Chapter 1 

 

•  •  •

 

Yoona enjoyed new experiences. To her, they meant a new challenge, new opportunities. That is why she always strived to prepare as well as she could for these experiences. So the night before her first day at university she had already laid out her best outfit (dainty and lively, but very proper) and practiced her best smile in the mirror. She knew exactly where she had to be at which time. So why, she cursed herself, had she forgotten her wallet? Fumbling around in her bag, hoping her wallet would make a magical appearance there, she felt her cheeks grow red in embarrassment. The woman behind the checkout was becoming impatient, as were the people in the growing line behind her. She could hear them sigh in annoyance and wished she could just disappear.

 

‘’Look, miss,’’ the women started to say, ‘’if you don’t have any money, I can’t give you your food. But there’s free coffee and tea for every student, okay? So do you have any money or not?’’

 

Yoona was about to give up when a voice that was not hers replied. ‘’I’ll pay, how much is it?’’ a girl about her age said, her hand already inside her wallet. Yoona felt the relief come over her shoulders.

 

‘’Thank you so much!’’ she gasped and smiled timidly. The girl smiled back, it was a warm smile. Quickly, Yoona grabbed her tray and stepped away from the queue. Awkwardly, she wondered if she should wait for the girl or if she’d only be annoyed by that. She didn’t have to wonder long for the girl came to stand next to her and smiled once again.

 

‘’Shall we go sit somewhere?’’ Yoona nodded and stiffly followed the girl. She felt nervous and couldn’t speak. Somehow the girl being so kind put her on edge. They went to sit at a table in the middle of the cafeteria. Unwrapping her yoghurt, the girl said: ‘’It’s really hard to get through a whole day of lectures on just tea. Believe me, I’ve tried.’’

 

She said and Yoona had to chuckle at that. After that there was a long silence, both girls unsure of what to say. Anxiously avoiding the girl’s eyes, she looked around the cafeteria. It was obviously very new, just like the rest of the university, but it didn’t feel harsh, and there were very large windows that allowed the sunlight to fall in. Yoona thought the outside world looked like a painting, the autumn giving the trees a lovely colour palette.

 

‘’So you’re not new here?’’ she asked suddenly, believing it rude not to speak to the girl at all. The girl shook her head. ‘’No, but I’m only a second year, so you don’t have to be too intimidated,’’ she grinned, ‘’I’m assuming you’re a first year then? What is your name anyway?’’

 

Yoona quickly swallowed her tea, burning in the process. Tears sprang to her eyes but she didn’t want to let it show. Truthfully, Yoona did feel intimidated. This girl was Way Cool. She had an air about her that meant she could do anything she pleased and get away with it. She could make you do whatever she pleased as well. Everything about her presence demanded recognition. From her leather (!) leggings to her sleek black hair, she was cool.

 

‘’My name is Im Yoona. I’m doing a Bachelor of Arts, it’s very nice to meet you.’’ She said and slightly bowed her head. At this, the girls’ eyes lit up. She actually leaned forward, as if her interest was now sparked and Yoona was worthy of Her presence.

 

‘’Really? That’s quite interesting actually. My name is Kwon Yuri by the way. I’m only doing an Economics bachelor, so I’m not as intriguing as yourself.’’ Yoona was about to protest at that when Yuri threw back her hair, tilted her chin up and stood up from the table. ‘’I have to go now though. I’m already late because somebody was making everybody wait at the checkout.’’ She said and winked at Yoona. Yoona could tell it was just another joke but she still felt bad.

 

‘’Yeah, um, about that, obviously I can’t pay you back right now…’’ Yuri waved her hand indifferently. ‘’You’re not going anywhere are you? Just wait for me in front of the cafeteria tomorrow. Assuming you can find it on your own?’’ she teased. At this Yoona was able to laugh without unease. ‘’Of course I can. I’ll pay you back, I promise. Once again, I’m so sorry.’’

 

Yuri smiled one last time, the warm smile she had given Yoona when she first saw her, swung her bag over her shoulder and left. Yoona sighed, now feeling completely at ease on her own. She thanked the girl once again in her mind and finished her lunch. But what Yoona did not yet realise was that, along with the sound of Yuri’s footsteps, her former life was leaving her behind, never to come back.